Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
help, how should i study? - HSN forum

help, how should i study?

10 replies to this topic

#1 voodoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:34 AM

help! how should i study? my biology prelim is in a months time.

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:49 AM

you should study long and hard basically

what is there to say read it, learn it and more importantly understand it

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

Yeah, make notes and stuff - read over them. Then test yourself by by doing questions. Go over questions you aren't sure about - it's best to learn from your mistakes.

#4 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

what i thought helped, especially for biology was writing different terms for things on post its and sticking them somewhere you will see them regularly. I done the same thing for bigger diagrams like the different steps of photosynthesis on bits of paper and stuck them next to my desk, and you'll either read them automatically when your doing other things or i read them all before i went to sleep.

#5 princess

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

My Biology prelim is also in a month's time. What I do is got a big pad of A3 paper and some big felt tip pens. It means that you can draw out big processes like Krebs Cycle etc without it being squashed up on a small bit of paper with things missed out. It may seem quite a silly way to revise but it works for me! Once I have learned something I do related past paper questions and also questions from the Leckie & Leckie Higher Biology Questions book which I have found quite useful and recommend. I also use the post it notes technique.

#6 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

good idea wink.gif *steals*

#7 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

Hiya my prelim was yesterday!!!!!! It's okay if you've revised but i recommend that you do a lot of work!!!!

xx
I'm not a tease i'm just a reminder of what you can't please!!!!!

#8 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

Most of biology sticks in my head pretty easily (actually I think I must have known about half the course before I started) so for most things I read through my notes and then read the textbook becuase it puts things in slight;y different way so it gets less repetitive.
The for things like krebs cycle or things you have to learn (facts not ideas) I get a big sheet of paper and write then on in big bold writing and highlight it in lots of colours and make it all pretty. You have to keep looking at the paper if you go over it in pen so it keeps me concentrating. Then I'm going to stick it up on my wall and will it should keep me revising while I do more interesting things.

#9 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:24 PM

I'd try to do as many past paper questions as possible. Speak to your teacher to see if he/she has any old copies (ones that don't appear in the Leckie & Leckie papers). Try to do as many questions from the book and keep the L & L past papers for the main exam.

#10 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE($D$2 @ Feb 10 2006, 09:24 PM)
I'd try to do as many past paper questions as possible.  Speak to your teacher to see if he/she has any old copies (ones that don't appear in the Leckie & Leckie papers).  Try to do as many questions from the book and keep the L & L past papers for the main exam.

View Post

i asked my teacher for some but refused cause apparently they used them in making parts of the prelim this year mad.gif

i got a c so am not too happy sad.gif

#11 princess

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(voodoo @ Feb 8 2006, 12:34 AM)
help! how should i study? my biology prelim is in a months time.

View Post

Another way that I revise is using "Flippers." They are little study cards on a keyring so you can write questions and put the answer on the other side and test yourself when your out and about and have a spare moment e.g on the bus. I find them really useful as they are a really quick way of going over your work. They come in a pack of two and I bought mine from Ottakars in Buchanan Galleries but you can also get them from: www.pinkporcupine.com
That website also has various types of other study cards. Hope this method helps and it doesnt just need to be for biology you use them for. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users