Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Any tips? - HSN forum

Any tips?

9 replies to this topic

#1 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

Anyone got any tips on how to improve my Higher English grade from a D to a B (require a B in English to get into Law)?
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ Feb 7 2006, 07:09 PM)
Anyone got any tips on how to improve my Higher English grade from a D to a B (require a B in English to get into Law)?

View Post

Click here

Here's something I posted about the close reading paper, which is usually the part most people struggle with. Hope this helps.

#3 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

Get a tutor now. Study like hell. Write down anything you are confused about and post them on here. Send me of your essays and I'll look over it and tell you what you are doing wrong.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#4 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:54 AM

I find it best always to read passage 1. Do the questions on it, then move on to passage 2... that hasn't been said yet.

If you read passage 2 before answering passage 1 questions, you'd've forgotten about it by then.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#5 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:56 PM

I find close reading the hardest.... I just can't pick out how something can symbolise something else etc. in my prelim recently, I got 20/25 for both of my essays.... and I failed the reading....

#6 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:50 PM

you need to practice loads of past papers! If you run out, then ask the teacher for more! Similar questions often come up about sentence structure, so you should know this kind of stuff. Between now and May, you should read good newspapers (e.g. Guardian, Herald) and the opinion section or feature sections (rather that just news). Passages are always Non-fiction (AFAIK) and so reading newspapers will help.

You should also learn quite a few quotes or a few different texts (maybe 3, 4, 5 texts) because the more you know then the more you can mould a rubbish question to your liking.

Also, remember that the actual exam will probably have lower grade boundries compared to your school. E.g. in the actual exam, an B might me 55% but in school they could have it as 60%.

#7 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:24 PM

Close reading is easiest, since it is most mathematical.

Study past papers and the answers for them. You'll realise that the answers are always very similar. Just try to memorize/ learn the techniques towards getting the answers, and knowing what answers are being looked for.
That way, even if you have no clue about the passage, you can still answer most of the questions fairly easily.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

Oh by the way all I found about 50 past papers for various subjects in my room so if you want any I'll give you some, for a nominal fee of course.

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

Oh by the way all I found about 50 past papers for various subjects in my room so if you want any I'll give you some, for a nominal fee of course.

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:08 AM

Here's a comprehensive set of useful links:

http://www.hsn.uk.net/resources/Higher-English/links/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users