Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Choices for 2006/2007 session - HSN forum - Page 3

Choices for 2006/2007 session

128 replies to this topic

#41 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 7 2006, 09:55 PM) View Post

It's definitely possible to crash any subject - it just depends on the school you go to and whether or not you can convince them that you can do it.

It's not just "essay-based" subjects either - I know someone (George, in fact) who crashed AH Computing and have heard of someone crashing AH Maths without doing Higher.

Crashing AH maths? They must be mad. That would be the one subject I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to crash. There's just so much of it.

#42 Gill

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:19 PM

i handed in my course choice form last week, but then it might all be changing, depending on whether or not i can do AH Accounting in another school, but so far I've got

int 2 media studies - don't even know what that is, just needed to fill a subject
crash H business management - for some reason they really only let 6th years do it, same as above
crash H admin
and AH maths

I'm hoping the crash highers wont be really hard, but i probably wont even turn up to media studies so i can focus on them during those periods!

#43 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff and doing nothing.

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

New dilemma in my never-ending Choices For S6 Crisis:

H Photography or H/AH French?

I love photography: I love pictures, I love taking pictures, I love looking at pictures -- all that snazzy stuff.

French, however, is the non-scientific equivalent of physics for me: I love to hate it. I'm good at it, but I hate speaking tests (though I enjoy speaking in a French accent in the comfort of my room =P) and am useless at listening tests. I'm all right with reading and writing tests.

I know French would probably be more beneficial for me if I'm to study l'Anglais, but... meh. Photography is cool!

#44 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(SoDraconian @ Mar 18 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post

New dilemma in my never-ending Choices For S6 Crisis:

H Photography or H/AH French?

I love photography: I love pictures, I love taking pictures, I love looking at pictures -- all that snazzy stuff.

French, however, is the non-scientific equivalent of physics for me: I love to hate it. I'm good at it, but I hate speaking tests (though I enjoy speaking in a French accent in the comfort of my room =P) and am useless at listening tests. I'm all right with reading and writing tests.

I know French would probably be more beneficial for me if I'm to study l'Anglais, but... meh. Photography is cool!

If you would enjoy photography you might do a bit better at it and would probably be having more fun.
But french is more of a traditional subject and I imagine that universities veiw french as being a better subject than photography. French also teaches you a lot about grammer which would be useful for english. But don't take it if you don't like it.
I think it would depend on your other subjects. If they are hard, not "fun" and involve lots of work than maybe photography would be better but if you are taking more fun, "easy" subjects then it would be french to balance it out.

I'm just going to wait until I get subject choice sheets and then madly decide what combination I'll do. I'm not sure when I get it though. I think it was meant to be last week but none have surfaced yet.

#45 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

I got my choice sheets today. It doesn't really help that much. >.<
My choices are
AH biology + AH maths + AH chemistry + H art/H geo/crash computing/crash RMPS/crash graphic Communication
AH biology + AH maths + AH physics + H art/H geo/crash graphic Communication/practical cookery
AH biology + AH physics + AH chemistry + H art/H geo/H philosophy/crash graphic Communication

Though some coloumns might get moved about.

I was starting to think crashing H music might be a good choice since I already play one instrument AH level and was able to do credit glock + drums 2nd year. But it's in the AH biology coloumn and thats the one subject that I definately want to do. They went and put modern studies in that one too, I might have picked it up.

I'm not very good at writing essays so I might not be able to get into philosophy anyway. Although I could probably manage to blag my way in if I really wanted to. But i would hope to avoid too many essay subjects.
The essays are slightly putting me off art. I didn't like them at standard grade and I've only got to dislike essay writing even more (due to H english).

I'm thinking about biology as a possible degree subject so AH chemistry would probably be useful but its a bit sleep inducing. The only bits of it that ever interest me are the biology/physics parts.

The practical cookery teacher is going to be a particuarly evil one. She is really really horrible. The AH maths teacher is also supposed to be a very boring teacher. I know teachers shouldn't really influence me but it is my final year and I do want to have some fun.

#46 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Ok, technically I'm not a new sixth year - I'm a new seventh year! I'm planning (or want to) take
AH Modern Studies,
AH History
and finish AH English because I dropped out this year and am only doing the unit assessments.
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#47 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

Ice, you only have to write short essays for Art, and they only count for a fraction of the total mark. Philosophy, in comparison, is 100% essay based (unless you do the logic section, then it is two-thirds essay based).

Yurimaru, why are you doing a seventh year? How many Highers and Advanced Highers should you have after that?!
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#48 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

Because I can! I was moved up a year - I sat my highers when I was fifteen and I didn't want to go to university until I was eighteen - so I have a year to do what I want! I decided that I'd like to sit a couple of extra advanced Highers because the courses are interesting!
When I've finished I'll have seven Highers and four Advanced Highers (five highers in fifth year, three highers and an advanced higher this year, three advanced highers next year)

#49 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Mar 22 2006, 10:27 AM) View Post

Ice, you only have to write short essays for Art, and they only count for a fraction of the total mark. Philosophy, in comparison, is 100% essay based (unless you do the logic section, then it is two-thirds essay based).

Thanks. I'll probably rule out philosophy then.
I'm not still not sure about art since I'm a bit lazy. In art I'm a perfectionist and work slowly so ended up spending more lunchtimes in art than not during SG. >.<

I'm wondering whether I might be best of doing geography. Is it harder than SG? I found SG horribley easy and mixing that with the slowest class ever (we went over our homework every class and then did the work that we didnt have time for at home, and did an entire topic during the easter holidays since we ran out of time) and not having any friends in the class made it pretty boring. Geography is more possible to write about and I should really try and improve my essay writing skills. And a few of my friends are going to do it.

I think I might do maths since the 6th years who took 2 sciences are all complaining about having to complete both investigations at the same time and 3 investigations doesn't sound nice.

#50 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

Guess what, i've changed my mind again!!

I think i'm gonna do:
Gaelic AH
Chemistry AH
Maths AH and
either History, Geography or Modern Studies....anyone got any ideas which one is the best? i did Geo at standard grade and got a 11, so i've been told that i could do any of the three.

Any ideas would be appreciated smile.gif

#51 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:13 PM

Duno Modern is pretty easy if your concerned about just getting the grades.

#52 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

in other words "its easy, but tediously boring" ??

#53 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

Yurimaru, that's eight Highers then on top of the four AHs! You wouldn't rather study courses at a university level than do more Highers then?

Ice, Higher Geography isn't essay based either. To be honest, if you want to improve your essay skills I'd recommend Higher Philosophy.

Nathan, I've done Higher Geography and Higher History and liked them both. History is more essay based.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#54 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

I'm going to take geography but I based that descision on my SG teacher's reaction when I asked her to sign my sheet just in case I decided to take it. She seemed quite pleased.
I'm kind of glad it isn't too eassy based really. It'll give me an easier time. I'm sure it has long answers so it should keep me being able to write. laugh.gif It might be useful anyway.

Apparently history is quite difficult although I haven't done it. But if you are good at essays its not too bad. There does seem to be a lot of essays involved, probably the most out of the three. The history people are having to do a 2000 word essay in class, I think it's one of their nabs. They get a plan but still...
I do have an aversion to essays so might have overplayed that.

So it's probably going to be
AH biology
AH maths
AH chemistry (my biology teacher said I should do it)
H geography.
Plus buddying since my school is evil and doesn't like free periods.

#55 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

There are some longish answer questions in Higher Geography but there's nothing that really tests your writing skills. The history essay you're referring to is the extended essay, the grade for which goes towards the final mark.

#56 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Mar 22 2006, 03:59 PM) View Post

Because I can! I was moved up a year - I sat my highers when I was fifteen and I didn't want to go to university until I was eighteen - so I have a year to do what I want! I decided that I'd like to sit a couple of extra advanced Highers because the courses are interesting!
When I've finished I'll have seven Highers and four Advanced Highers (five highers in fifth year, three highers and an advanced higher this year, three advanced highers next year)

I'd rather you than me....i'm all for doing 6th year, but why anyone would seriously consider seventh year, i dont know, especially after doing so well in 5th and 6th years.

And Bred, thanks for your opinion on history and geo...i think i'll probably go with geography...im crap at writing essays rolleyes.gif

#57 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Theres one girl in 7th year at my school but she was sick one year so got put back a bit. But shes still really clever and would have been fine leaving last year. I guess she just wanted to get a few more AHs too.

Aah ok Bred. I've only found out about it by the multitudes of people who've been moaning about it to me.

And I'm suddenly not sure about it all. But i'm just going to hand it in anyway since it's the only thing I can do.

#58 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(bred @ Mar 23 2006, 08:09 PM) View Post

Yurimaru, that's eight Highers then on top of the four AHs! You wouldn't rather study courses at a university level than do more Highers then?

No, its only seven - I'm resitting Higher Chemistry because I only got a C. Oh, and I'm now thinking about adding A Level Law as well! And yes I am mad! Really mad I think. What do you mean university level courses? I wanted to take the AHs because I like the subjects and I like the parts of the subject that are covered in the courses - although I suppose they might be useful to get into University. Except that University's admit on the basis of Highers, not Advanced Highers don't they?

#59 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

Ah, I didn't think that you might be resitting any Highers.

What do you mean university level courses?

What I mean is that you could get into university this year (I'm not sure of your exact grades so I'm not sure of what universities and what courses) and study subjects at a higher level than you do with Highers. I now know you want to do Law at Edinburgh though, so presumably you didn't get straight, or near-straight As last year and that's why you're doing another year at school.

Universities can take Advanced Highers into consideration too.

#60 xberriex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

Everyone seems to be doing AH... I've got nothing to pick for AH....

What am planning on taking are:

Crash H. Business Management
Crash H. Physics
H. Modern Studies
H. Art

And am doing 5 Highers this yr aswell.... :

H English
H Maths
H Biology
H Graphic Comm
H French

Am I risking my chances in going to Uni next yr...?! Doing 9 Highers & no AH?! The only AH I wanted to do is AH Maths... but my school is so small they don't offer tht... blink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users