Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Choices for 2006/2007 session - HSN forum - Page 2

Choices for 2006/2007 session

128 replies to this topic

#21 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

Im thinking about doing maybe AH English(possibly), AH maths(probably deffenately), a language, and I dont know what else! aw Im so unprepared!
Grrrrrr!!

#22 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(SoDraconian @ Feb 28 2006, 07:01 PM)
I've got a few questions.

What's the average amount of subjects you take?
What's the average amount of AHs you take?
Can you crash AHs?

I'm confused with what I want to do. We got the options booklet out today and -- I dunno. I'm more confused than ever.

Very, very vague idea:

AH English, H Philosophy, H French, H Music

View Post

most people do 4 subjects in 6th year, though generally no more than 3 advanced highers. & no, you can't crash advanced highers, at least, i've never heard of it!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#23 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff and doing nothing.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

Thanks! That's cleared a few things up for me. ^^

#24 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

I just handed in my choice form, I'm doing AH English, German (hopefully since it's in the same column as English!) and Modern Studies. I hope it's not too much work...!

#25 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(ScotlandGirl @ Feb 28 2006, 08:30 PM)
I just handed in my choice form, I'm doing AH English, German (hopefully since it's in the same column as English!) and Modern Studies. I hope it's not too much work...!

View Post

choices already ohmy.gif we dont have to make ours until the tuesday after easter!

#26 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

I'm not sure what I'll be taking but I want to do AH biology. And then another two AH out of chemistry, maths and physics. Does AH chemistry get more interesting than H chemistry? Its currently the least interesting out of the above but I'm thinking about doing biology at university so I don't know.

Then I need one more subject, art, philosophy, geography are all possibilities for another higher (since I'll need another higher to try and get my school to give me a free period). I might end up resitting english for that subject. I'm useless at writing essays, anyone know some subjects that don't involve essays?

The free periods are hard to get and we have to spend half of them buddying at my school so it's only possible to get a max 2/3 free's a week. Stupid lack of places for us to go.

#27 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

I am so clueless about choices, but why does everyone seem to be taking three AHs?

#28 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(SoDraconian @ Mar 3 2006, 09:55 PM)
I am so clueless about choices, but why does everyone seem to be taking three AHs?

View Post

Because we're all mad?
Nah, I'm taking 3 because I like the subjects I'm doing already and I can do them so it might actually be easier doing 3 advanced highers than having to make up that number with other highers that I don't have any natural aptitude for.

#29 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Mar 3 2006, 10:14 PM)
Nah, I'm taking 3 because I like the subjects I'm doing already and I can do them so it might actually be easier doing 3 advanced highers than having to make up that number with other highers that I don't have any natural aptitude for.

View Post

Hmm.

Ugh, everything's so confusing at the moment. I hate it. We're supposed to know exactly what subjects we're doing in about a fortnight; all departments are vying for our attention; and my teachers don't seem to understand how important these choices are.

*slumps*

Oh, the woe.

#30 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(SoDraconian @ Mar 3 2006, 11:54 PM)
Hmm.

Ugh, everything's so confusing at the moment. I hate it. We're supposed to know exactly what subjects we're doing in about a fortnight; all departments are vying for our attention; and my teachers don't seem to understand how important these choices are.

*slumps*

Oh, the woe.

View Post

I know how you feel. It's too confusing..
Last week we had an assembly. And just got given some sheets. "Right, you have 5 minutes to decide what subjects you would like to take next year so we can decide what colums to put the subjects in" I didn't have a clue. Just ended up putting question marks next a few.
I think I have 3 weeks. *headdesk* I didn't realise it was that soon.

#31 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

We had to do ours BEFORE our prelims!! ohmy.gif

mad.gif

#32 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Feb 28 2006, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE(SoDraconian @ Feb 28 2006, 07:01 PM)
I've got a few questions.

What's the average amount of subjects you take?
What's the average amount of AHs you take?
Can you crash AHs?

I'm confused with what I want to do. We got the options booklet out today and -- I dunno. I'm more confused than ever.

Very, very vague idea:

AH English, H Philosophy, H French, H Music

View Post

most people do 4 subjects in 6th year, though generally no more than 3 advanced highers. & no, you can't crash advanced highers, at least, i've never heard of it!

View Post

I've heard of people crashing AHs in a few instances but you'd probably need to do convince the staff you're a very capable student first.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#33 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Mar 4 2006, 07:39 PM)
I've heard of people crashing AHs in a few instances but you'd probably need to do convince the staff you're a very capable student first.

View Post

Music would be possible if you already played 2 instruments and had done the music theory grades too. Thats about the only subject I can think of (unless maybe art, if AH art exists).

#34 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

AH Art does exist. Someone in my year crashed AH Biology though. There are a few other subjects people have crashed at AH too. I think there was a thread on crashing AHs a while back.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#35 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

I have a big dielma - which involves the 'crashing' of AH Biology! Im gonna have to think hard about it.

My intentions were, for next year, to do -

AH Chemistry
AH Geography
AH Biology

and then Int 1 Geology as a scive! smile.gif

I thought i would CONSIDER crashing AH biology IF my prelim grades were good enough. For the prelims, I got A A A A C - but don't know if this would really help or makes much difference in Crashing an AH?

I've been looking at the AH forums on here for info - and Im going to speak with my guidance teacher, maybe Careers adviser and the head of Biology about it - and then, might consider it. See, I thought i could try and revise my girlfriends H Biology and SG biology notes over some of the summer and also look at textbooks etc... but to be honest, don't want to spend all my summer holidays cought up in work, or probably will have lost the motivation to get going before I've even started the courses. So it's a bitty tricky.

#36 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Mar 4 2006, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE(bred @ Mar 4 2006, 07:39 PM)

View Post

Music would be possible if you already played 2 instruments and had done the music theory grades too. Thats about the only subject I can think of (unless maybe art, if AH art exists).

View Post

Music's the one I was hoping to crash. French, also, if they're feeling generous.

The thing about subject choices is that you're pretty much stuffed if you realise halfway through the year that you've studied the wrong things. I was going for all the science subjects, but now I know I want to study English. If I chose English-y, essay-based subjects in fifth year I could do those subjects as AHs.

Epiphanies are unfair.

#37 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(SoDraconian @ Mar 5 2006, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Mar 4 2006, 06:54 PM)

View Post

Music's the one I was hoping to crash. French, also, if they're feeling generous.

The thing about subject choices is that you're pretty much stuffed if you realise halfway through the year that you've studied the wrong things. I was going for all the science subjects, but now I know I want to study English. If I chose English-y, essay-based subjects in fifth year I could do those subjects as AHs.

Epiphanies are unfair.

View Post

Music should be fine. Especially if you already play the instruments and the teachers like you. I think in my school, if you didn't take music at SG you get put into a class and "see how you progress" .
I could see french being possible too, if (unlike me) you aren't allergic to french. It might be possible to crash some essay based subjects, RMS might be ok if you were very good at essay writing.
Although I don't know if AHs really matter that hugely. At least we aren't in England where we have to subjects for 2 years.

#38 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping &lt;3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

I'm deffo doing AH Maths, AH Chem and crashing Higher Bio. If I done AH physics as well would that be way too much ??? I think it maybe would, but i was just looking for some opinions biggrin.gif
*~* Pam xxx *~*
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#39 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Pammy @ Mar 6 2006, 08:00 PM) View Post

I'm deffo doing AH Maths, AH Chem and crashing Higher Bio. If I done AH physics as well would that be way too much ??? I think it maybe would, but i was just looking for some opinions biggrin.gif
*~* Pam xxx *~*

thats what i was thinking bout doing, cept with higher english instead of bio....it wont be too much work if you are willing to put in a lot of time and not mess about in 6th yr...so im told anyway

#40 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

It's definitely possible to crash any subject - it just depends on the school you go to and whether or not you can convince them that you can do it.

It's not just "essay-based" subjects either - I know someone (George, in fact) who crashed AH Computing and have heard of someone crashing AH Maths without doing Higher.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users