Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Choices for 2006/2007 session - HSN forum

Choices for 2006/2007 session

128 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

Since its getting to that time of year again, i was wondering what everyone was thinking about taking next year.

Im thinking of doing AH Maths, AH Chemistry, AH Physics or Biology and H English

Do you think this is too much or would it be a bearable workload?

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

Shouldn't be too difficult. I didn't find my AH Highers that hard. I struggled in fifth year a little cos of Higher English (mad.gif).

If you do work in class, and some work during your free periods then you'll be sorted.

AH Maths - quite a lot more content than H Maths. You really need to practice and practice and... practice.

AH Chemistry - the investigation takes up quite a while so make sure you do that at the start of the year (saves you worrying about it near prelim/towards exam time). Apart from that, course isn't too bad. Oh yea, if you couldn't get enough of the calculations from Higher then the SQA have added quite a lot more for you. smile.gif

AH Biology - Investigation again - as above. Course was pretty easy IMO - especially with the new exam format.

Make sure you do past papers as always!

#3 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE(Ally @ Feb 7 2006, 12:32 AM)
Shouldn't be too difficult.

AH Chemistry -  Oh yea, if you couldn't get enough of the calculations from Higher then the SQA have added quite a lot more for you. smile.gif

View Post

happy days! mad.gif im not that bad at calculations...but i was really surprised at the amount that were in my prelim...there was loads!

#4 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

I think I'm gonna repeat Higher Maths, then hopefully Adv Computing and AdvEng/or Mod Stud....dunno!!

#5 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

I'm thinking of taking AH Chemistry, AH Human Biology and AH English.
Although I might change my mind smile.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(KrazyK @ Feb 7 2006, 02:15 PM)
I think I'm gonna repeat Higher Maths, then hopefully Adv Computing and AdvEng/or Mod Stud....dunno!!

View Post

If you do AH Comp, start the project early, or you wont start it at all

I'm talking from experiance lol

#7 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

Eh, was thinking of AH Modern, repeating Higher Maths (probably aint going to get anything better than a C), and the last one I am unsure on, probably crash business management or something.

#8 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Allana @ Feb 7 2006, 05:31 PM)

View Post

there's no AH human bio - just ordinary AH biology. depends on the school whether they'll let you do that with higher human bio instead of biology, i've heard of cases where its not allowed!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#9 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

I found out today that yeah it is AH Biology my school do, despite doing Higher Human Biology smile.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#10 Gillz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Thinking on taking AH Geography, AH Physics n Higher Maths. Hope theres not gonna b loads n loads of homework though! mad.gif

#11 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Feb 8 2006, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE(Allana @ Feb 7 2006, 05:31 PM)

View Post

there's no AH human bio - just ordinary AH biology. depends on the school whether they'll let you do that with higher human bio instead of biology, i've heard of cases where its not allowed!

View Post

my school doesnt do higher biology...aparently the teachers dont like the course mad.gif i would have prefered to do that than general biology...never mind rolleyes.gif

#12 reemxox

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Feb 10 2006, 04:16 PM)
my school doesnt do higher biology...aparently the teachers dont like the course mad.gif i would have prefered to do that than general biology...never mind rolleyes.gif

View Post

do u mean you'd prefer to do human biology? coz yeh its like that at our skool too, they dont like the course so they simply dont do it, thats not really fair, esp if you want to apply for medicine because human bio is very helpful over higher bio coz its more relevant, but ahwell, i find sum stuff in higher kinda boring like all the plants stuff and that, i dont like that, prefer more human stuff like human phsiology of like the heart and stuff, thats way easier!!
IPB Image

♥~7 days 2go~♥

#13 reemxox

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

and yeh to answer the topic question, i think next year im taking adv biology, adv chemistry, and a fun subject, like something thats not necessarily relevant to medicine, cause most people take adv bio, chem n maths, but i am NO WAY taking adv maths laugh.gif !!! ill probably end up doin adv french or something stupid like that, cause im doin higher fench just now! rolleyes.gif
IPB Image

♥~7 days 2go~♥

#14 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(reemxox @ Feb 10 2006, 06:50 PM)
do u mean you'd prefer to do human biology? coz yeh its like that at our skool too, they dont like the course so they simply dont do it, thats not really fair, esp if you want to apply for medicine because human bio is very helpful over higher bio coz its more relevant, but ahwell, i find sum stuff in higher kinda boring like all the plants stuff and that, i dont like that, prefer more human stuff like human phsiology of like the heart and stuff, thats way easier!!

View Post

yeah, id prefer to do human because id like to do medicine so human is more relevant i suppose.

i know exactly what you mean about plants. as soon as my teacher mentions anything involving plants im like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz laugh.gif

#15 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:49 PM

I know of some schools that do A Level Human Biology since an AH Human Biology course is not offered by SQA

#16 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Ally @ Feb 7 2006, 12:32 AM)

AH Chemistry - the investigation takes up quite a while so make sure you do that at the start of the year (saves you worrying about it near prelim/towards exam time). Apart from that, course isn't too bad. Oh yea, if you couldn't get enough of the calculations from Higher then the SQA have added quite a lot more for you. smile.gif

View Post

Hey, our class hasn't started yet! ohmy.gif But we have finished the course and so for 5-6 weeks solid we will working on them (5 periods a week as well).

#17 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, that's what I done too. We were allowed to start whenever we wanted though, but I kinda left it till the end. Don't really recommend it. :/

#18 lisa789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:38 AM

i was thinking about doing AH chemistry, AH biology and AH maths. our school offers AH applied maths - mechanics which i thought sounded quite good. i was just wondering if anyone has done this and if its good / hard?!

#19 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

Word of Warning. AH Maths chews up a lot of time.

#20 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff and doing nothing.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

I've got a few questions.

What's the average amount of subjects you take?
What's the average amount of AHs you take?
Can you crash AHs?

I'm confused with what I want to do. We got the options booklet out today and -- I dunno. I'm more confused than ever.

Very, very vague idea:

AH English, H Philosophy, H French, H Music

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users