Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How's everyones prelims going? - HSN forum

How's everyones prelims going?

83 replies to this topic

#1 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

I so failed mines today. I had past papers and worked on them at home and could do them fine but the papers they gave us were much harder I think. They'll be trying to kick me out of the class when I go back I bet. Good luck to everyone else I'm sure you will do fine.

#2 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

Snap!! Failed maths Big time!! oh well I'm just gonna have to start working harder now!!

#3 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:33 PM

You've probably not done as bad as you thought, I always think its difficult to judge how I've done on a test until I get my marks back

Anyway, I done mine today, it went pretty well. I made a stupid mistake though, one part of a question had me confused and I worked it through but I was kind of unsure. Then I saw in the question the word "hence" and I rubbed out my working and started again taking a different approach as I thought I had to use information I'd worked out in a previous part of the question. I didn't get time to work my answer right through to the end but when I talked to me teacher afterwards she said that I had it right first time mad.gif. Apart from that I didn't really have anything that everything seemed fine so I think I should have done okay.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#4 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

Well that description you just gave sounds like me on the majority of questions on both papers. I think I used a whole rubber today. I didn't finish all the questions because I didn't have time and I just couldn't think. I know I have made so many mistakes. I'll be shocked if I get any higher than 20%!

#5 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

My non-calc paper wasn't too bad to be honest.... cant say the same for the calculator paper though! uh oh...

#6 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

Well I'm glad some of you are doing ok. I just wish I had more luck.. I put in effort and it didn't help me at all. blink.gif

#7 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

had my Maths prelim today!! was sooo nervous, then paper 1 went ok!! it wasnt too bad, could do the majority of it!
but then it came, paper 2! i hate paper 2, needless to say, i know i have not done well in it at all, was soo difficult and complicated! unsure.gif

its done now, no point worrying too much when i cant do anything about it!! shall study for May though!! wink.gif
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#8 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

I got a B smile.gif

I think I did pretty well considering most of my class either failed or got a bare pass, and the teachers said it was one of the most challenging prelims so far.

Hoping for an A in the final biggrin.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#9 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

the prelims usually harder than the actual exam well so I thought anyway!! and paper 2 is usually harder than paper 1 I think so no need to worry people! tongue.gif
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#10 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

Yeah my friend who did Higher Maths last year for the first time says the Prelim was harder.. she got 18% in the prelim then a D in the final exam which is quite a jump up cause a D is just off 50%. Hopefully if I have done that bad I can at least scrape a D or C in the final.. I don't care if it's a D just as long as I don't completely fail. I'd hate having a fail on my certificate! Unit 3 might go better and help to have in the next one so who knows. I don't get my prelim results until 2 weeks.. quite a wait.

#11 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ Feb 2 2006, 10:07 AM)
Yeah my friend who did Higher Maths last year for the first time says the Prelim was harder.. she got 18% in the prelim then a D in the final exam which is quite a jump up cause a D is just off 50%. Hopefully if I have done that bad I can at least scrape a D or C in the final.. I don't care if it's a D just as long as I don't completely fail. I'd hate having a fail on my certificate! Unit 3 might go better and help to have in the next one so who knows. I don't get my prelim results until 2 weeks.. quite a wait.

View Post

That is quite a long wait, I'd hate to put up with that.

We got paper 1 today, I got 54/60 so I'm delighted with that mark (that question I mentioned earlier on was the only marks I dropped sad.gif). Only about 1/3 of the people taking higher maths this year passed the prelim though, even though it was apparently quite an easy prelim.

#12 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

Well don't schools have different prelims? Ours may have been harder. Maths in general isnt an easy subject for me Intermediate 2 was no problem I got an A but Higher is quite different. I regret taking it now I wish I had taken something I may have had a chance at passing.. I guess getting an A in Intermediate 2 made me think Higher Maths would be a Higher I would have a better chance at passing. I was so wrong!

#13 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ Feb 2 2006, 07:23 PM)
Well don't schools have different prelims? Ours may have been harder. Maths in general isnt an easy subject for me Intermediate 2 was no problem I got an A but Higher is quite different. I regret taking it now I wish I had taken something I may have had a chance at passing.. I guess getting an A in Intermediate 2 made me think Higher Maths would be a Higher I would have a better chance at passing. I was so wrong!

View Post

Yeah, every school is different. There can even be a difference within the schools, for example the prelim last year was appaarently much harder than the one this year at our school.

And yeah, there's a huge jump up to higher. I think if the course is done over two years there wouldn't be a huge difference, but over one year its a high increase in difficulty and workload.

#14 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Feb 2 2006, 08:07 PM)
Yeah, every school is different.  There can even be a difference within the schools, for example the prelim last year was appaarently much harder than the one this year at our school.

View Post

We were told this year that our prelim is gonna be really hard sad.gif, cause last year someone got an A in the prelim but then got a c in the final exam...and the sqa refused appeal because they said the prelim was too easy...i have it tomorrow so i should probably go and do some revision jus now before it gets too late...i probably wont though rolleyes.gif

#15 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

Most people in my Higher maths class is back from last year they were doing it over 2 years. I wish I could have done that I think it woud have been easier going through it all a second time. Everything would make more sense and you could pick up the bits that you missed/didn't really get.

#16 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

arrrrrgh! had my maths prelim today....paper two was NOT good sad.gif

paper one wasnt bad though....i think i might of scraped a c smile.gif

#17 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping &lt;3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

Had my maths prelim today. Paper 1 was ok, just a few small problems. Was feelin quite gd about myself till I got out paper 2 and my jaw hit the floor ohmy.gif .
I swear I will kill whoever invented the calulator !! And if he's dead I will bring him back 2 life just 2 kill him again.
Anyway rant over. Hopefully I have still passed tho rolleyes.gif
Pammy x
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#18 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff and doing nothing.

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

My prelim's tomorrow. Utterly dreading it. We've been told that it's going to be the hardest prelim created and that Paper 2 will show us no mercy. *is scared*

#19 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

good luck...i must say my paper 2 never showed me any mercy either....it was the crappest paper 2 prelim i have seen from my school ever (and i think i did like all the papers from '97 to '05)

#20 8139222014

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:03 PM

oh well sat both and...34/60 + 15/70. Overall a fail, I thought doing Int 2 last year would have prepared me for higher, but only 4 people in the class sat int 2 last year, plus 2 fifth years in our class, and ofcourse its the people who sat higher last year were the ones passing the prelim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users