Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Modern Studies info - HSN forum

Modern Studies info

19 replies to this topic

#1 simab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Neopets.com, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix movies. I like watching Casualty, Holby, Eastenders, River City, Home and Away, The OC, Friends, Will & Grace, Big Brother and other reality programmes. I also like a wide range of music accept Jazz and Classical.

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:00 PM

I'm in sixth year just now and my exams are over but next year I'm going to do Highers in English, Maths, Spanish and Geography. But when I went to my enrollment interview the lecturers said I could do Modern Studies if I dropped say English or Maths for example. As In fifth year I did English, Maths and French at int2 and Spanish and Business Management at int1. For English I got a C and Maths a F (I had a real bad maths teacher), Spanish, French and Business Management I got and A. So anyway I think I'll be dropping English as I got a B but I don't think I'll be able to do higher so what is Modern Studies like? Is it hard? What percentage of people are passing it?

#2 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (simab @ Jun 2 2004, 07:00 PM)
I'm in sixth year just now and my exams are over but next year I'm going to do Highers in English, Maths, Spanish and Geography. But when I went to my enrollment interview the lecturers said I could do Modern Studies if I dropped say English or Maths for example. As In fifth year I did English, Maths and French at int2 and Spanish and Business Management at int1. For English I got a C and Maths a F (I had a real bad maths teacher), Spanish, French and Business Management I got and A. So anyway I think I'll be dropping English as I got a B but I don't think I'll be able to do higher so what is Modern Studies like? Is it hard? What percentage of people are passing it?

No i dont think Mod studs is that hard. I feel though, that you do have to b interested in current affairs and have a general idea of wot is going on in the world buit if u have that u will be fine!
The course, itself is not too difficult, but there is alot to member though.And u have to write LOADS in the exam!

Hope that helps! smile.gif

#3 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:22 PM

In Higher Modern Studies, there are 12 different study themes, of which you usually learn about 5.

You learn about two subjests from unit one [UK Government and Politics]
One from unit two [UK Society]
And two from unit three [International Issues]

It's a very interesting subject, as long as you don't get a boring teacher tongue.gif

The exam is rather demanding. You have to write five 10 mark essays in 1 hour 25 minutes. But with some practice that soon becomes a lot easier. You also do a decision making exercise where you have to write a very long report, but again, with some practice it becomes far easier.

To get a better idea of what's actually in the course and what you'll learn about, you should take a look at the Bitesize Higher Modern Studies page. smile.gif

It's very helpful if you regularly watch the news and keep up with current affairs since using recent examples in your exam answers is a sure way of getting a good mark.

You should give it a go, see if you like it. If you decide that it's not for you, then you can always drop it and join the English course, or whatever subject you choose not to do in order to do Modern Studies.

Good luck with whatever subjects you choose smile.gif
@

#4 simab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Neopets.com, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix movies. I like watching Casualty, Holby, Eastenders, River City, Home and Away, The OC, Friends, Will & Grace, Big Brother and other reality programmes. I also like a wide range of music accept Jazz and Classical.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the help, by the way I got a 2 for Geography at Standard Grade so I can get into Modern Studies. I'm doing these highers in Langside College, Glasgow. Plus I definitely am dropping Higher English to do Higher Modies as most people are better at doing Higher Maths than English so that's why I'll be doing Maths instead of English as well as Highers in Geography, Spanish and Modern Studies! biggrin.gif

#5 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:30 PM

i'm doing crash modern studies this year (starting from monday tongue.gif ) i think it looks really good ( i'm probs wrong , lol). Anyway, anyone done this as a crash higher? And if so, how have you found it?
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#6 simab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:40 PM

Oh, by the way this year I repeated English and Maths int 2. My teachers said I'm probably going to get B's in both and for Spanish which also is int2 I'll get an A as I got the second highest result in the class (71% or an A). I wish at Standard Grade I could have done Biology instead of Science as my regi teacher forced me to pick it and instead of doing Computing I wish I picked Modern Studies plus in fifth year instead of doing French int2 I should have done either Higher Modern Studies or Geography. A final question see people that have six periods a day in school do you have to do at least five subjects in sixth year? Here we have five periods a day so you need to do five in fifth year but in sixth at least four or you could do five. By the way I went to King's Park secondary! wink.gif

#7 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

We have 6 periods a day. in fifth year you must do 5 subjects and then in 6th,4.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#8 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (lesley @ Jun 3 2004, 09:30 PM)
i'm doing crash modern studies this year (starting from monday tongue.gif ) i think it looks really good ( i'm probs wrong , lol). Anyway, anyone done this as a crash higher? And if so, how have you found it?

I started crash Higher Modies on Monday as well and I already love it! How are you finding it?

#9 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:37 PM

Here is some info

Modern Studies: Higher

Why Modern Studies?
This course gives you the opportunity to increase your knowledge of contemporary issues within the UK and the wider world and to develop deeper understanding of political and social affairs. Modern Studies also contributes to your personal and social development by looking at the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democratic society and the moral and ethical responsibilities of individuals.

Entry to the course

This is at the discretion of the school/college but you would normally be expected to have attained one of the following

Standard Grade at Credit level (or possibly Grade 3) in Modern Studies or another social subject
Intermediate 2 Modern Studies units or course
Intermediate 2 units or course in another social subject.

Course Outline

The course consists of three 40 hour units plus 40 hours of flexible time.

Political Issues in the United Kingdom

In this unit you will study two of the following study themes

1. Decision Making in Central Government
2. The Government of Scotland
3. Political Parties and their Policies (Including the Scottish Dimension)
4. The Electoral System, Voting and Political Attitudes.

Social Issues in the UK

In this unit you will study one of the following study themes

5. Income and Wealth in the United Kingdom
6. Health Care in the United in the United Kingdom.

International Issues

7. A Society in Change: South Africa
8. A Society in Change: China
9. Ethnic Minorities in the USA
10. The European Union
11. Global Security

Core Skills

H Problem Solving (Critical Thinking )
Assessment

The course is assessed by a combination of internal assessment by your teacher/lecturer and an external examination, set and marked by the SQA.

Progression

Successful completion of this course may lead to :

Advanced Higher in

Modern Studies

Higher in

Classical Studies
Geography
History

A Scottish Group at Higher in

Arts & Social Sciences

Education (HNC/HND/Degree); Employment in

Arts, Social Sciences & Religion
Libraries Museums & Archaeology
Social, Caring & Advisory Services

Hope this helps

cool.gif

`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#10 simab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 06:16 PM

Thanks. biggrin.gif

#11 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (little_minx @ Jun 9 2004, 05:10 PM)

I started crash Higher Modies on Monday as well and I already love it! How are you finding it?

to be honest i find it dull! but my friend says it gets better as you go on. i find it quite difficult. i'm not really getting all teh blacks, api's and hispanics rubbish unsure.gif but my other friend hasd given me her notes from s.grade so i'll look over them and hopefully it'l lget better.

My teacher said that, because i have done history, i'm at an advantage for paper two because i have learned how to handle sources, so that's jolly good.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#12 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (simab @ Jun 10 2004, 07:16 PM)
Thanks. biggrin.gif

No probs

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#13 Euan_rennie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:53 AM

Im 2 weeks into the Modern Studies Higher which i am doing at crash Higher and already i have to write an essay on Goverment of Scotland:
"The Scottish Parliment has power over many aspects of life in Scotland. However there are limits to its power."

As i have never done a Modern Studies essay before i was wondering if someone could send me an essay they have from last year just to see how to structure them and what kind of content and length is required.

Any help is much appreciated!

#14 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:10 PM

hey i did mod stud higher last year i didnt study the scottish parliament theme but i have quite a wide knowlege of devolution etc etc.

In the intro keep it quite brief n just introduce the subject, you dont really even have to do a statement of intent.

In the main bit of the essay usually make around four points with exmaples and that should hopefully get you a good mark! Your particular essay would contain things like the scottish parliament has control of health education justice transport health etc etc all of which it can pass laes and change. But certain issues are reserved to westminster like Foreign Policy, defence, social security etc etc. For example the Scottish Parliment couldnt do much to stop the war on iraq even though they could debate it they couldnt stop it.

In conclusion just sum up the points you have made. Normally my essays were about a page n a half to two pages.

Hope tht helps! smile.gif

Luv Jill xx smile.gif

#15 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:53 PM

If anyone has good modies notes will they PLEASE contribute them to the site as even though I'm enjoying the course so far, the teacher aint the greatest. Thanks,

Laura xxx

#16 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (little_minx @ Jun 21 2004, 07:53 PM)
If anyone has good modies notes will they PLEASE contribute them to the site as even though I'm enjoying the course so far, the teacher aint the greatest. Thanks,

Laura xxx

Try the Bitesize Higher Modern Studies pages. They're really helpful smile.gif
@

#17 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(simab @ Jun 3 2004, 09:13 PM)
Thanks for the help, by the way I got a 2 for Geography at Standard Grade so I can get into Modern Studies.  I'm doing these highers in Langside College, Glasgow.  Plus I definitely am dropping Higher English to do Higher Modies as most people are better at doing Higher Maths than English so that's why I'll be doing Maths instead of English as well as Highers in Geography, Spanish and Modern Studies!        biggrin.gif     

View Post

Yay Langside college! My boyfriend goes there smile.gif

#18 Shuggy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:You want to know what I do in my spare time y'mean? Nothing that can be repeated in a forum where there might be we'ans reading this dammit!

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE($impl¥_®i¢h @ Jun 9 2004, 05:37 PM)
Here is some info

Modern Studies: Higher

Why Modern Studies?
This course gives you the opportunity to increase your knowledge of contemporary issues within the UK and the wider world and to develop deeper understanding of political and social affairs. Modern Studies also contributes to your personal and social development by looking at the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democratic society and the moral and ethical responsibilities of individuals.

Entry to the course

This is at the discretion of the school/college but you would normally be expected to have attained one of the following

Standard Grade at Credit level (or possibly Grade 3) in Modern Studies or another social subject
Intermediate 2 Modern Studies units or course
Intermediate 2 units or course in another social subject.

Course Outline

The course consists of three 40 hour units plus 40 hours of flexible time.

Political Issues in the United Kingdom

1. Decision Making in Central Government
2. The Government of Scotland
3. Political Parties and their Policies (Including the Scottish Dimension)
4. The Electoral System, Voting and Political Attitudes.

Social Issues in the UK

In this unit you will study one of the following study themes

5. Income and Wealth in the United Kingdom
6. Health Care in the United in the United Kingdom.

International Issues

7. A Society in Change: South Africa
8. A Society in Change: China
9. Ethnic Minorities in the USA
10. The European Union
11. Global Security

Core Skills

H Problem Solving (Critical Thinking )
Assessment

The course is assessed by a combination of internal assessment by your teacher/lecturer and an external examination, set and marked by the SQA.

Progression

Successful completion of this course may lead to :

Advanced Higher in

Modern Studies

Higher in

Classical Studies
Geography
History

A Scottish Group at Higher in

Arts & Social Sciences

Education (HNC/HND/Degree); Employment in

Arts, Social Sciences & Religion
Libraries Museums & Archaeology
Social, Caring & Advisory Services

Hope this helps

cool.gif

View Post

QUOTE(little_minx @ Jun 21 2004, 06:53 PM)
If anyone has good modies notes will they PLEASE contribute them to the site as even though I'm enjoying the course so far, the teacher aint the greatest.  Thanks,

Laura xxx

View Post

#19 Shuggy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:You want to know what I do in my spare time y'mean? Nothing that can be repeated in a forum where there might be we'ans reading this dammit!

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:59 AM

For anyone doing Higher Modern Studies, you could try having a look at Shuggy's Blogspot I put it up a couple of days ago so there's not much on it. The areas that might be useful are the links on the side-bar, arranged under subject headings (more to follow; none on the Health Care topic because - let's face it - why would you do that to yourself?). There'll also be articles periodically, although none for a wee while 'cos it's the October week.

The website was designed for teachers but students can use it too. Comments can be left under articles and you could also e-mail any enquiries from the side-bar. But keep any comments/e-mails clean goddamit, because it's screened by Glasgow City Council and if anyone uses any swearys, they'll find out where you live and kill your dog.

Edited by Shuggy, 15 October 2004 - 11:03 AM.

#20 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything goes really

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:14 PM

im doing higher modies this yr. I dun it at standard grade and it was so good i founbd it very interesting. This yr i think is a little tedious but i have already sta three exams.
A practice descriptive on on health care( internal market) 7/10 B
A practice DME 17/20 A
A practice analysis politics 7/10 B

if any 1 has notes on helath care or politics electoral sysytem voting attitudes theme could u plese email me or rtel me where i can get thm.
[color=Fur coat n nae "knickers"!!!!!!![/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users