Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Back emf question. - HSN forum

Back emf question.

2 replies to this topic

#1 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

Past Paper 2002 - Q9
Circuit with battery EMF 12V, a switch, a resistor R and an inductor L.

There is a curved graph of I/t... the usual.

(a) State the magnitude of back emf at the instant the switch is closed <--- how?

#2 Jason Bourne

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

I just did this question like 10min ago and think the answer is 12V as at the instant the switch is closed the current in the resistor is zero. This means the back e.m.f must be equal in magnitude to E. At that instant dI/dt is at its greatest, so by
e=-L dI/dt the induced back emf is at its greatest at that point and infact is equal to the supply voltage. Thats what I thought anyway.
Nothing!!!!!!!!

#3 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

I found out that the maximum e that can be achieved is equal to the source e.m.f... so yeah, thanks.

emax = Vemf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users