Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Maths Homework question - HSN forum

Maths Homework question

5 replies to this topic

#1 burno483

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:45 AM

This is a question that appeared in some maths homework I was doing and am not sure what the division identity is.

2. Find the DIVISION IDENTITY for each of these:

(4x^3+5x^2-x-27)/(x-2)

When i used synthetic division I got a remainder of 23. Is this the division identity???

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ph34r.gif

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

I've never heard that term before either biggrin.gif

It might mean the identity (i.e. equality) that you can write after doing synthetic division: f(x) = (x-h)q(x) + f(h) where you divide f(x) by x-h; q(x) is the quotient, and f(h) is the remainder.

It's under the heading 'Remainder Theorem' in the notes. For the example under that heading, I think the 'division identity' would be:

\begin{align*}4x^3 + x^2 - x - 1 &= (x+1)(4x^2 -3x + 2) - 3\end{align*}

So, rearranging to show the division:

\begin{align*}\frac{4x^3 + x^2 - x - 1}{x+1} &= 4x^2 -3x + 2 - \frac{3}{x+1}\end{align*}

Hope that makes sense biggrin.gif

Oh, and remember to post again if you find out from your teacher smile.gif

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

cant find anything on the internet about it either

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 burno483

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

Hey George,

Absolutely correct! Good effort mate. I searched the internet for it too and came up with nothing. It may well have been a name that my crazy teacher pulled out of thin air!

Thanks anyway for the quick response. I shall definitely post again if I need any more help.

Thanks again

Dave

#5 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(burno483 @ Jan 28 2006, 09:11 AM)
I searched the internet for it too and came up with nothing. It may well have been a name that my crazy teacher pulled out of thin air

View Post

This is quite possible...one of the maths teachers in my school calls the quadratic formula the "big nasty formula" and hes got loadsa other names for things...i jus cant think of any more just now

#6 burno483

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

I'm sure, a strange lot those maths teachers lol!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users