Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Working Adventures Worldwide - HSN forum

Working Adventures Worldwide

20 replies to this topic

#1 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

I'm considering working abroad over the summer. Anyone know anything about the programmes available through http://www.bunac.org/uk/ ?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#2 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

I've been thinking of working abroad too but haven't found any decent sites, i will take a look at that one later.

#3 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

I want to go work abroad but I caaaaan't. :[

I was looking at the BUNAC stuff last summer, and it looks pretty good. There were posters and stuff up in school.

If you want to do the american summer camp thing, apparently CCUSA is better than Camp America. It's cheaper.

#4 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

i've bben offered the chance, through an exchanged group to go over to america for 10 weeks of working a ranch and then to travel america if i ws
ish when i'm 18 years old, but i think that maybe the best place in earth is scotland so i don't know whether or not to go. i think also my carrer i want will mean i can't really leave it to long before entering. if i can find it any one who wants the notes are welcome to them, it will be hard work but well worth it in the end. smile.gif
luv
gizmo ph34r.gif
xxxxx
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#5 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

I'd definately recommend going away for the summer, last year I wasn't organised enough to work abroad but I toured Europe with an Inter-rail pass and it was amazing! This year I'm spending 3 months in Berlin working in the physics department at Berlin TU and I can't wait.

Yeah I've heard that CCUSA is better too. I know a few people who did Camp America and said they didn't have as much time to do their own thing as they thought they would. The bbc website has some stuff on it, dunno how good it is though because I've not checked it this year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife/travel...avelling#topics

#6 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've paid my money so I'm definitely going to be working in America this summer (in association with BUNAC). Woohoo! I've never been in paid employment before. I think I'm putting the right sort of info on my CV but it would be interesting to see the CVs you guys submitted when applying for the jobs you've got now (if you did submit one). I'm not too fussed what I work I do so long as they don't pay me in monkey nuts.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#7 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

I was looking at that today. :] I'm hoping to do something like that next summer, although I don't know how eligable I'd be with all my health problems. Me and my friend are going to look into it for next year though, it looks amazing.

I just want to go to Wilmington, North Carolina though. It's where Dawson's Creek was filmed. happy.gif

That'll be pretty amazing, though Brendan. When do you go?

#8 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

I think I'm gonna go around the end of May. Not sure of the exact date yet, I'll probably need to get a job offer confirmed before I decide when to fly. I've already been rejected by a publishing company 140 miles north of New York City but I've got my eyes on a better paid job as a construction labourer on the other side of the continent (in Washington, about 5 miles south of Vancouver)...

#9 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:47 PM

Jilly (student teacher), is still trying to get me to go to camp america. I think its too late to start thinking about doing it this year. I wouldnt mind doing something like that maybe next year though.

#10 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

www.cern.ch, don't they do a summer programme for computing/physics students? Seemed pretty good.

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

I found out today that I have to go to the f*cking US Embassy in London to get a visa. And there's a waiting list. And I need f*cking proof of a job first. I'm flying to NYC on June 1st btw, and back on September 16th.

#12 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

Did you not know that? It's a trip to London at least.

I'm going to do that next summer. I've decided. :] I fancy Delaware!

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

No I didn't know that. What do you mean "at least"? I don't see why the American Consulate in Edinburgh can't sort it out.

I'm not that bothered about going down to London. That trip doesn't need to be too expensive. Costs do seem to be mounting up but I am mostly concerned about everything getting sorted out in time now. Not long to go really.

#14 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

Well, I know it's a hassle to go all the way to London, but London's fun so that's a positive thing.

Always look on the bight side of life etc.

Coming from Mrs Misery here. tongue.gif

#15 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

Ah, I initially read your post as "you'll have to go at least as far as London" but I now see what you were saying. It will be cool to go to London actually, but time is running out and I need proof of a job first. Ahh! It's £1.20/minute to call the Embassy too, what's that all about?

#16 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

I don't actually have to go to London. I can go to Belfast, so I'm going to do that. smile.gif

#17 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:07 AM

I have a job in ride operations at the best amusement park in the world! biggrin.gif Pay is a bit shit at $6.25/hr but at least I am getting paid. My aunt and cousins live nearby too so I can visit them.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/

#18 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(bred @ Apr 19 2006, 10:07 AM) View Post
I have a job in ride operations at the best amusement park in the world! biggrin.gif Pay is a bit shit at $6.25/hr but at least I am getting paid. My aunt and cousins live nearby too so I can visit them.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/

You get to work at Cedar Point ohmy.gif

Where do I apply!? Always wanted to go to Sandusky, Lake Eerie etc. Only just for Cedar Point though tongue.gif

#19 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

I applied by sending an e-mail to Amanda Royer ( international @ cedarpoint.com ) on Saturday evening and got the job offer in the early hours of this morning. According to the BUNAC Job Directory they have 430 jobs available, so the chances of getting a job were much better than a lot of places I applied to, I guess. I did specify that I would most like to work in ride operations though, and that's what I've been offered and accepted. biggrin.gif

#20 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(bred @ Apr 19 2006, 10:27 AM) View Post
I applied by sending an e-mail to Amanda Royer ( international @ cedarpoint.com ) on Saturday evening and got the job offer in the early hours of this morning. According to the BUNAC Job Directory they have 430 jobs available, so the chances of getting a job were much better than a lot of places I applied to, I guess. I did specify that I would most like to work in ride operations though, and that's what I've been offered and accepted. biggrin.gif

Cool. I'm definitely going to look into doing something like that maybe in the next 2 years or so. Jammie git, you have no idea how much I've wanted to go to Ohio just to go to Cedar Point!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users