Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
any one help me? - HSN forum

any one help me?

4 replies to this topic

#1 jackie88m

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

please could someone help me with these questions

The computer is arranged as a two state machine. what does this mean and what are the benefits of this form of organisation?

What is meant by data integrity?

Give four examples of processes which may be created by the operation system in response to a command from the user?

Using a diagramdescribe how file management system can be used to organise the files on a hard disc?

Describe the main functions of a single user operating system

a program may be compiled or interpreted to translate it from high level language to machine code. describe the difference between the two

a program has been written which has a delay built into it using a simple loop structure. describe how this loop is executed in an interpreted version

describe two features of a declarative language

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

a two state machine means digital ie 1 or 0. This makes simplier, cheaper, more effieciant circuits rather than if there was computational difference between 0.7V, 0.8V or 0.9V.

data integrity is about keeping the accuracy of data. This is checked through things like check sums

not sure

dont like diagrams:P

things like manage memory for programs, user commands layer and all that

compiled: all the program is translated in one operation. errors returned at end. can save the compiled program. fast run

interpreted: translated at run time, slower, error returned when its encountered, cant saved object code

to think i am doing computer science mmm

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE(jackie88m @ Jan 22 2006, 01:50 PM)
please could someone help me with these questions

The computer is arranged as a two state machine. what does this mean and what are the benefits of this form of organisation?

What is meant by data integrity?

Give four examples of processes which may be created by the operation system in response to a command from the user?

Using a diagramdescribe how file management system can be used to organise the files on a hard disc?

Describe the main functions of a single user operating system

a program may be compiled or interpreted to translate it from high level language to machine code. describe the difference between the two

a program has been written which has a delay built into it using a simple loop structure. describe how this loop is executed in an interpreted version

describe two features of a declarative language

View Post

Computers are arranged in binary code which has two states a 1 and a 0. The main benefits of a two state machine are:

* complies with digital coding (1 being on ,and 0 being off) systems making it easier to decode data than if there were a range of number signals which could be hard to differentiate- same as Dave's circuit arguement
* simple to use both in terms of coding and calculating purposes
* simple to understand

Data integrity is about maintaining the accuracy of data. It can be checked by adding a digit to the data ( odd or even integrity), check sums etc or can be ensured through processes including the steps above and encryption, passwording etc

Four examples of processes generated by the operating system ....
use an example of the user trying to access a file
So, the icon is clicked. The operating system then send the location of the file to be accessed down the address bus to the CPU. This retrieved the file and sends the data in (width of data bus) streams down the data bus. The control bus controls the direction the data is travelling in. This is roughly the right answer but check ur notes to see the proper way it is stated.

When you are talking about the file management system your are talking how flat is not an effecient way to store files ie how files should orginate from a folder which contains subfolders which contains more subfolders etc. Its the upside down tree shape diagram.You know the one I mean?
In explanation of the diagram say that it means that you know the purpose of the file as it can be put in the appropriately named folder, you dont have to search through all the files as you would do in a flat system because you can follow the appropraiate folder path to get to the file you need etc

Main functions of operating system. There are five of these.
*Input/Output Control
* Memory Management
Damn I cant remember the rest but thats what it means.

The whole translate/interpret thing take Dave's answers

The second to final question. The program code is interpreted every time it is run, line by line. This is because no object code can be saved since it treats each line independantly.

The final question. Declarative....mmm I cant remember very well but I think thats the one that can add to its own knowledge base so thats one feature and I think it has an ability to understand "fuzzy language" ie you can type in english not in code and it will still understand.

Am I right Dave?
And to think I DONT do Computer Science
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#4 jackie88m

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:42 PM

cheers x

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

a declaritive language is where the programming is about relations between variables and decisions are based upon these decisions. This is very much artificial intelligence type stuff. An example language would be Prolog

If i am not here i am somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users