Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Binomial theorem - finding coefficients - HSN forum

Binomial theorem - finding coefficients

11 replies to this topic

#1 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

prelim revision you know wink.gif

1. Find the coefficient of x power9.gif and the term independent of x in the expansion (1/x power2.gif - x) power1.gifpower8.gif

What I don't understand is that the two terms in the bracket are both x terms, whereas usually I see (x+y) powern.gif

2. Just a quick guassian elimination question

is the following applicable for upper triangle form?

n n 0 n
0 n n n
0 0 n n

(where "n" is non-zero number)

it is just that 0 in the first row that is annoying me. I tried a question with the above being the final upper triangular form that I got, but the answer was wrong for me.

I would appreciate any help smile.gif

#2 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

For the Binomial Expansion I got the coefficient to be -816, any1 else get this?
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#3 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

could you please show me the method you used?

thank you for offering help

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:29 AM

0nnn
00nn
000n

that is what

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Jan 22 2006, 01:46 AM)

View Post

It's ususally just a case of solving the binomial.
Then find the coefficients.

But first I think you need to simplify that 1/x2 - x

Let's see... maybe if you get it out to be:

(x(\fract{1}{x^3} - 1))^18

Did you actually write out Pascal's triangle row for ^18 or did you do it by calculator?

#6 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:30 PM

We have (x^{-2} - x)^{18} so using the binomial theorem, the general term is:

\begin{align*}
& {18 \choose r}(x^{-2})^r(-x)^{18-r} \\
&= {18 \choose r}x^{-2r}(-1)^{18-r}x^{18-r} \\
&= {18 \choose r}(-1)^{18-r}x^{18-3r}
\end{align*}

So the term in x9 must satisfy 18 - 3r = 9, i.e. r = 3.

You can then find the coefficient by replacing r with 3 in the expression for the general term. I agree with -816 for that.

The method is similar for the term independent of x (this satisfies 18 - 3r = 0). I got 18564.

#7 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

thanks for the help everyone smile.gif

#8 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

I have another question of you don't mind biggrin.gif

it is to do with graph sketching and asymptotes

to start with the function is f(x) = x power3.gif / (x power2.gif - 1)

I used long division to get x + x / (x power2.gif - 1). So far so good (unless I am wrong rolleyes.gif )

I worked out the vertical asymptote (x=1) but it is the approach to the graph that I am unsure about. I usually do a table of signs where the top row shows the value of x (values above and below the x=1 -> the asymptote). The next two rows show the numerator and denominator (respectively) of the function. The next row shows the value of the y.
It is the middle two rows that I am unsure about. I can fit the numerator and denominator in, but there is also a ( + x ) part to it and I am unsure where to place this....or should I ignore it?

If you don't understand what I am saying, I will try and explain it more

smile.gif

#9 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

If you are using a table of values, you could always just do it for \displaystyle \frac{x^3}{x^2  - 1}.

I think this will make it easier to see what's happening.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#10 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

oh god thanks steve I am such an idiot! I don't know why I needed the function to stay separated for the table. thanks again smile.gif

#11 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Jan 22 2006, 01:46 AM)

View Post

Yeh, soz I never included the method. Twas because I didnt know how to write it all in these messages!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#12 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

don't worry, it's fine now smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic