How is higher chem goin 4 evry1?

70 replies to this topic

Poll: how is everyone else findin higher chem? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

how is everyone else findin higher chem?

1. easy (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

2. kinda easy (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

3. bit tricky (19 votes [51.35%])

Percentage of vote: 51.35%

4. impossible (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 7 2006, 06:05 PM)
Yeah sats the one!!!!!

Ok slightly creepy.lol

Did a Mrs Crosbie happen 2 be there when you were?

View Post

sorry, I haven't ever been at that school! My older brother and sister did

#42 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:duno really, dont have alot of time: with exams etc + most of my spare time is spent trying to get as much practical experience so as to get into vet school(hopefully)

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:52 AM

oh right, she's has not been there for long but she is the best teacher we ever had.

Does anyone go to calderhead high school(shotts)??????????????????????

#43 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

I am still wondering why on earth she went to shotts

tongue.gif

#44 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:duno really, dont have alot of time: with exams etc + most of my spare time is spent trying to get as much practical experience so as to get into vet school(hopefully)

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:46 PM

arent we all. I just didnt really want to say that incase someone was from shotts! But then it occured to me that no one in shotts will have a computer as it will have been stolen by the unhealthy number of neds!!

only joking but if u happen to be one of the one of the lucky ones who go to calderhead and has a computer let us no!lol

#45 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

just found out my prelim results today!! heard a few results from classmates, and people i expected to get A/Bs only got Cs, and one guy that i expected would at least pass, got a D. ohmy.gif
so was very very worried when i asked for my results! turns out i got a B!! smile.gif im chuffed, considering i felt i did awful (knowing how badly my calculations went!!) sad.gif teacher wasnt as pleased, went on how i could do better, only if i tried rolleyes.gif
all in all im chuffed and relieved!! well thats one subject i passed, will not know about the other four until Tuesday unsure.gif laugh.gif
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#46 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

well done! i got mine back today as well...i got 65/100 which is a B at the moment but it was overall a really hard paper, so the boundaries may be lowered by as much as 10%! ohmy.gif

#47 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

GRRRR! I just got my prelim back and I just scrpaed a B!! GRRR.

Anywayz no point maoning about it will just have to actually do some work for the final exam!lol

#48 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

theres a statistic that our rector keeps going on about that might cheer you up.

In 5th Year, the average pupil increases their prelim score by between 5 and 10% between February and May

Or something like that. Anyway, point is, you could increase by 10% and get an A biggrin.gif

Plus, most prelims are set harder than the final exam so you could probably add another 5% on for a true indication unsure.gif

#49 reemxox

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

yeh aparently prelims are supposed to be harder than the real thing, i havent even done my estimates yet our skool is startin them after mid term, im totly not looking forward to the maths though, im soooo messed up in that, esp the whole of unit 1, i js keep forgetting stuff!! unit 2 nab 2moro, cant wait! unsure.gif
IPB Image

♥~7 days 2go~♥

#50 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

Thanks guys thats cheered me up! biggrin.gif

the unit 2 nab aint to bad, just wathch with the integration

BTW I NO THIS ISN'T THE MATHS FORUM MODERATORS!!!!!!!lol tongue.gif tongue.gif

#51 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff and doing nothing.

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

Chem... Chem is bad. Well, I understand the theory stuff (like organic chemistry and stuff. I'm such a geek. I enjoy naming the li'l compound thingies and drawing them out. ¬¬; ) But the calculations? Can - not - do. No matter how many times my chem. teacher goes over them, they keep going out my head! Badbadbad.

#52 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

i'm the same as you! cannot do calculations to save myself!!! drives my teacher insane, its my 1 weak spot in chem and the main thing stopping me from getting an A.

btw, i just manage to conquer enthalpy!! delta.gifh=cm[Delta] t then dived that by the number of moles of substance you have! sorry bit random but that helped me loads. (mind you it would have been more useful like 6 months ago)

#53 wilson2kay6

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Music, swimming 'n' having a laugh

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:35 PM

Just to say all A PASSED 20/30 go me am just shitting the prelim a week on wednesday (i think) then 7 days and i got my standard entrance test for the police cadets so am studying for that to...

any way thanks for the support guys!!!

wilson

#54 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 11 2006, 08:02 PM)
i'm the same as you! cannot do calculations to save myself!!! drives my teacher insane, its my 1 weak spot in chem and the main thing stopping me from getting an A.

btw, i just manage to conquer enthalpy!!            delta.gifh=cm delta.gift then dive that by the number of moles of substance you have! sorry bit random but that helped me loads. (mind you it would have been more useful like 6 months ago)

View Post

Yeah, I struggled with the calculations for half a year, which irritated my teacher, but I conquered them in the end, thankfully, which just got me my A in Chemistry. tongue.gif

#55 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 11 2006, 08:02 PM)

btw, i just manage to conquer enthalpy!!            delta.gifh=cm delta.gift then dive that by the number of moles of substance you have! sorry bit random but that helped me loads. (mind you it would have been more useful like 6 months ago)

View Post

I recommend the Hodder Gibson HIgher Chemistry Calculations Book

#56 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

i think i 'aquired' that book from the chem department irts really good

#57 wilson2kay6

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

tell you all the truth i have never headr of that book a will inquire into that on thursay when i go back to school (fum prelims)

#58 wilson2kay6

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 11 2006, 09:02 PM)

btw, i just manage to conquer enthalpy!!            delta.gifh=cm[Delta]t then dive that by the number of moles of substance you have! sorry bit random but that helped me loads. (mind you it would have been more useful like 6 months ago)

View Post

see i can do that one its the delta.gifh =delta.gifp - delta.gifr i cant get and the exess and the... okay you get the point hehe unsure.gif

#59 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(wilson2kay6 @ Feb 12 2006, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 11 2006, 09:02 PM)

btw, i just manage to conquer enthalpy!!            delta.gifh=cm[Delta]t then dive that by the number of moles of substance you have! sorry bit random but that helped me loads. (mind you it would have been more useful like 6 months ago)

View Post

see i can do that one its the delta.gifh =delta.gifp - delta.gifr i cant get and the exess and the... okay you get the point hehe unsure.gif

View Post

I don't think I've seen that formula, and I'm at university doing chem eng, which involves a great deal of chemistry in the first year. Perhaps you mean:

\begin{align*}\Delta H=\sum \Delta H_p - \sum \Delta H_r.\\ .\\\end{align*}

?

Anyway that's not taught at Highers and I dunno if they teach that at Advanced Highers or not, unless that's the way you were taught to do Hess's Law.

#60 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 12 2006, 08:37 PM)
i think i 'aquired' that book from the chem department irts really good

View Post

"aquired" lol

i would "aquire" some of the chem books from my school (at least til may 30th) but there's only 6 in my class so there aint that many books to go about

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users