How is higher chem goin 4 evry1?

70 replies to this topic

Poll: how is everyone else findin higher chem? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

how is everyone else findin higher chem?

1. easy (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

2. kinda easy (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

3. bit tricky (19 votes [51.35%])

Percentage of vote: 51.35%

4. impossible (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 wilson2kay6

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Music, swimming 'n' having a laugh

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Feb 12 2006, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE(wilson2kay6 @ Feb 12 2006, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 11 2006, 09:02 PM)
i'm the same as you! cannot do calculations to save myself!!! drives my teacher insane, its my 1 weak spot in chem and the main thing stopping me from getting an A.

btw, i just manage to conquer enthalpy!!            delta.gifh=cm[Delta]t then dive that by the number of moles of substance you have! sorry bit random but that helped me loads. (mind you it would have been more useful like 6 months ago)

View Post

see i can do that one its the delta.gifh =delta.gifp - delta.gifr i cant get and the exess and the... okay you get the point hehe unsure.gif

View Post

I don't think I've seen that formula, and I'm at university doing chem eng, which involves a great deal of chemistry in the first year. Perhaps you mean:

\begin{align*}\Delta H=\sum \Delta H_p - \sum \Delta H_r.\\ .\\\end{align*}

?

Anyway that's not taught at Highers and I dunno if they teach that at Advanced Highers or not, unless that's the way you were taught to do Hess's Law.

View Post

i think its the same one but its just dumbed down for us hehe

#62 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

these all basically meanth esame thing tho in the end don't they. i've just started hess' law and get it so far. i hate caluations just try and avoid them. 34.7% in prelim or something like that but i was throwing up so fair excuse!
gizmo
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#63 annaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

i cannot do calculations to save myself, i had my prelim today and there was 6 enthalpy questions! i spent hours revising and i still dont get it!!

#64 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:46 PM

i don't mind enthaply, the questions are generally fairly simple, but can't count so caluations are fun!
gizmo
x
gizmo

#65 rachiebabes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

chemistry.....whats that again??? nah just kidding but that about sums up the whole subject for me sad.gif im really struggling and have a tutor who is helping but past papers are the best i think thats how i passed SG maths anyway lol NOTE TO SELF: never do chemistry again!!!
[post="http://Rachiebabes07.bebo.com"]My Bebo[/post]

#66 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

Chem is KILLING me.

I screwed up my prelim I got a D...I need at lest a B this time round...hopefully all the calcualtions ive been doing will come in handy!
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#67 erin

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hi everyone - don't worry!!!!

I did higher chemistry last year and got Cs the whole way through - then got an A in the final exam. i couldn't do calculations at all, and my teacher didn't think I would do very well, but towards the end I think most things kind of clicked. You will all be fine - just keep on working through it - you've not got too long now.

Now Advanced Higher, that is a different story!...

Erin smile.gif

#68 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

...0_0

A?

Pfft If I get an A in Chem this year people will start to think I cheeted!
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#69 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

I really want an A just to prove to my chemistry teacher that i'm not thick because she told me that if i actually pass the exam she'll be amazed!! Mind you though she is a complete b*tch and i hate her guts and i've even tried to get transferred to a different class but i can't because the other class is full and plus i couldn't leave my mate because the teacher tried to get her kicked out of the class for failing her NABs the first time round she passed on the second attempt though!!! The teacher shouldn't be allowed near children she looks like a skinny version of a butch lesbian(her dress sense is terrible!!!)

xx
I'm not a tease i'm just a reminder of what you can't please!!!!!

#70 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(Isla from Banff @ Apr 13 2006, 12:14 PM) View Post

I really want an A just to prove to my chemistry teacher that i'm not thick because she told me that if i actually pass the exam she'll be amazed!! Mind you though she is a complete b*tch and i hate her guts and i've even tried to get transferred to a different class but i can't because the other class is full and plus i couldn't leave my mate because the teacher tried to get her kicked out of the class for failing her NABs the first time round she passed on the second attempt though!!! The teacher shouldn't be allowed near children she looks like a skinny version of a butch lesbian(her dress sense is terrible!!!)

xx

Don't let the teacher put you off doing well in a subject. A lot of people seem to fall down on the questions which require you to incorporate all of your chemistry knowledge, so it is perhaps uselful to keep an open mind when approaching a question, such as a chemical industry one, where you have to analyse the sequences and processes.

Also, keep practising the multiple choice questions as they tend to be similar each year, if not even repeated with slight twists on them. Another thing I find useful when revising is turning around the question which they ask, for example, if a paper states : "Which of these compound has the most ionic character?", after I have answered this I will revise which one has the least ionic character, and this give you a real understanding of both possible questions.

It might not be useful for you, but I did it for the prelims and many questions which from past papers which i rephrased to find the opposite answer, actually frequently appeared.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#71 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

my teachers wicked but i think we spend more fun taking the P**s out off the 6 th years then working. is fun but we also get iterupted so much its unbelievable. been given time to sort myself out in chemistry and it seems to beworking well. back on track now. can't wait for the summer holidays!!!!!!!!
gizmo
x

gizmo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users