Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Fact of the Day - HSN forum - Page 3

Fact of the Day

64 replies to this topic

#41 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

Ok....maybe they do rhyme rolleyes.gif

#42 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:47 AM

Heres my fact of the day.

Hypotrophiccardiomyopathy is a condition which can be genetic or contracted. In its contracted from it is caused by high blood pressure or other strains related to stress and/or weight problems. In its genetic form its effect can be seen under the microscope and its contracted form it is seen immediately in the form of mass. It is a common heart defect and few people even know they have it.

Hypotrophiccardiomyopathy literally means big heart muscle. It is not good for your heart muscle to be big since then it requires more work to get the blood out of the heart and around the body. The heart works harder to pump the bood and grows even bigger. So the vicious cycle continues.

Damn medical documentaries

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#43 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:10 AM

^ No it doesn't. I think you've got your terms mixed up there.

In medical terminology hypo- refers to values that are below normal range while hyper- refers to values that are above normal range. And, that, is my fact for the day. tongue.gif

#44 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

And it is two words (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) - hypertrophy meaning excessive growth and cardiomyopathy a disease of the heart muscle with an uncertain cause. It is one of the four types of cardiomyopathy [Hypertrophic (HCM), Dilated (DCM), Restrictive (RCM) and Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular (ARVC)].
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#45 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Jan 23 2006, 11:38 AM)
And it is two words (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) - hypertrophy meaning excessive growth and cardiomyopathy a disease of the heart muscle with an uncertain cause. It is one of the four types of cardiomyopathy [Hypertrophic (HCM), Dilated (DCM), Restrictive (RCM) and Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular (ARVC)].

View Post

This is true, one of my relatives has RCM

Today i learnt that the majority of people who emigrated to the US between 1st Jan 1892 and 1954 went through the immigration office on Ellis Island. And, around 5000 immigrants were processed every day and only around 2% were rejected entry

I found out all this from a higher gaelic paper! smile.gif

#46 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Jan 22 2006, 07:46 PM)
Ok....maybe they do rhyme  rolleyes.gif

View Post

Pooridge and Norwich.

mmmm...I dont think they do rhyme huh.gif

its iDGE more of a "ij" sounding

and iTCH with "ch"

huh.gif blink.gif

#47 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Jan 23 2006, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE(nathanm @ Jan 22 2006, 07:46 PM)
Ok....maybe they do rhyme  rolleyes.gif

View Post

Pooridge and Norwich.

mmmm...I dont think they do rhyme huh.gif

its iDGE more of a "ij" sounding

and iTCH with "ch"

huh.gif blink.gif

View Post

Thats what i thought but then someone said that they did rhyme....i just didnt want to look stupid so i thought it was best to just agree

#48 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

No disagree it makes things more interesting tongue.gif

Uh oh.... by the btw. Just so you know I meant Porridge not Pooridge.

Pooridge and Norwich certainly do not rhyme.

"By the btw"

this is a bad spelling day for me sad.gif

Edited by miss macleod, 23 January 2006 - 05:20 PM.

#49 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

laugh.gif

I have days like that all the time!

#50 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Jan 23 2006, 05:19 PM)
No disagree it makes things more interesting tongue.gif

Uh oh.... by the btw. Just so you know I meant Porridge not Pooridge.

Pooridge and Norwich certainly do not rhyme.

"By the btw"

this is a bad spelling day for me sad.gif

View Post

Oh dear...

Fact: The fear of alcohol is called methyphobia and the fear of drinking alcohol is called dipsophobia. People have very strange phobias, including a fear of...buttons and...bananas! rolleyes.gif

#51 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

and Wet Dreams! (Onierogmophobia)

#52 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Jan 23 2006, 06:31 PM)

People have very strange phobias, including a fear of...buttons

View Post

unsure.gif thats not strange! dry.gif

#53 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(John @ Jan 23 2006, 09:38 PM)
and Wet Dreams! (Onierogmophobia)

View Post

laugh.gif Be hard to be a man with that! Hahaha!

#54 Jason Bourne

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

The inductance produced is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux density. ph34r.gif
Nothing!!!!!!!!

#55 south lanarkshire jag

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

Pished the bed AGAIN? Sick of stinky pissy sheets? Add a can of cola to your normal washing powder in the wee drawer thing and VOILA! Fresh sheets - no bad pee-pee smell.

here to help

#56 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(south lanarkshire jag @ Jan 24 2006, 06:11 PM)
Pished the bed AGAIN?

View Post

No.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#57 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(south lanarkshire jag @ Jan 24 2006, 06:11 PM)
Pished the bed AGAIN? Sick of stinky pissy sheets? Add a can of cola to your normal washing powder in the wee drawer thing and VOILA! Fresh sheets - no bad pee-pee smell.

here to help

View Post

I thought you weren't coming back here, man? Oh well, it was good while it lasted. dry.gif

Anyway, I think if you mentioned that, it may be because you have a problem with bed-wetting. Perhaps a visit to the doctors is in order for you.

#58 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

The scottish bank note is actually legal tender in England and if someone refuses to take your money, legally they are cancelling your debt to them so you don't have to pay.

Said by my economics lecturer today who has done that and the restaurant owner phoned the police and there was nothing they could do.

#59 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ Jan 22 2006, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE(nathanm @ Jan 22 2006, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE(John @ Jan 22 2006, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE(nathanm @ Jan 21 2006, 01:34 AM)

i think porridge is another one that doesn't rhyme  unsure.gif

View Post

Porridge and Norwich rhyme?

View Post

you think?

View Post

How the hell else would say Porridge and Norwich?

"Yes, I was eating my pooriiiiige in nourweeetch today."

View Post

porridge and norwich don't strictly rhyme. The former has a dge sound, while the latter has an ich sound tongue.gif

#60 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Jan 24 2006, 07:12 PM)
The scottish bank note is actually legal tender in England and if someone refuses to take your money, legally they are cancelling your debt to them so you don't have to pay.

Said by my economics lecturer today who has done that and the restaurant owner phoned the police and there was nothing they could do.

View Post

Oooh! I should do that then!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users