Mathematics

37 replies to this topic

Poll: Was mathematics invented or discovered? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Was mathematics invented or discovered?

1. Invented (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. Discovered (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. Not Sure (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

I just saw this on another forum and thought it was a good question.

I think it must have been invented because numbers were invented by humans and then maths was invented unsure.gif This is just my opinion

Tell us yours!

#2 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

Yeh, I fink it is invented. my opinion is that it started off as a couple of numbers meanin quantity but then evolved into a more dynamic system

But, hey, I mite be wrong!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#3 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

hmmm interesting question. you can argue that maths was invented by humans and then used to describe things, but then isn't it amazing that almost everything can be explained mathematically. So do you think that God (or some other "creator") is really just a kick ass mathematician?
For example there are mathematicians working on a formula to describe the seemingly random stripes on tigers and other animals

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg14018983.700

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

I beleive the foundations which Mathematics relies upon was invented(IE Numbers), but Mathematics itself was discovered.

I know i probably dont make sense, but hey that's me!

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Jan 16 2006, 04:28 PM)
I just saw this on another forum and thought it was a good question.

I think it must have been invented because numbers were invented by humans and then maths was invented  unsure.gif This is just my opinion

Tell us yours!

View Post

Ah.. a felllow PF junkie. wink.gif

#6 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

pf?

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

mathmatical theoroms and rules do tend to have a hint of discovery about them because otherwise how would they work so needly.

Obviously the idea of "numbers" must have been invented so i guess i agree with paul

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

I think its always been around.

We have just developed a way, a language if you will of describing it.

#9 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

I don't really feel like I know enough maths to have a strong view on this.

It could be considered an invention of the human mind - in which case it's probably the best one there's ever been biggrin.gif

But sometimes it seems too nice for us to have just made it up!

#10 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

Drunk people made it up. Plain and simple.

#11 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:56 PM

Well, if it was invented, I'd like to meet the guy who made sin tan cos.

To kick him square in the nuts of course.

#12 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ Jan 16 2006, 07:56 PM)

View Post

ohmy.gif Surely you don't mean that...trigonometry is an amazing thing developed from maths, can be used to solve a wide variety of problems.

#13 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Jan 16 2006, 08:05 PM)
ohmy.gif Surely you don't mean that...trigonometry is an amazing thing developed from maths, can be used to solve a wide variety of problems.

View Post

Trigonometry is the most irritating thing you do in maths...useful or not

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ Jan 16 2006, 07:56 PM)

View Post

You do that and i'll rearrange mr. sohcahtoa's face! biggrin.gif

#14 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(kyle @ Jan 16 2006, 07:10 PM)
I think its always been around.

We have just developed a way, a language if you will of describing it.

View Post

exactly...look at it from that perspective:

How does a language begin and develop? In my opinion Maths was exactly the same. At the very beginning something happened, something was done which then went on to trigger the whole continuing evolution of Maths
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#15 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

I'm glad someone agrees! smile.gif

#16 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(kyle @ Jan 16 2006, 09:42 PM)
I'm glad someone agrees! smile.gif

View Post

I think I agree too biggrin.gif

#17 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

What a very HSNy type topic!!

I'd say maths was just THERE at the beginning of the world and it was discovered then developed.

To be honest I couldnt care less about maths - but thats only because I can't do it adn numbers are the downfall of my life. I'm so glad there are people out there who like maths to make up for how much I hate it. smile.gif

#18 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Jan 16 2006, 08:09 PM)
Trigonometry is the most irritating thing you do in maths...useful or not

I agree actually. It is quite annoying. Even worse when everything is done using n (pi) :s

#19 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

Pfft, trig is great.

You should try "Big O and little o"

#20 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(kyle @ Jan 17 2006, 01:50 PM)
Pfft, trig is great.

You should try "Big O and little o"

View Post

Crap, I keep on forgetting about that Maths assignment...that's due tomorrow dry.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users