Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Music Recommendations - HSN forum

Music Recommendations

71 replies to this topic

#1 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

Just had this idea: we could have a thread where we recommend lesser-known bands to everyone, and hopefully give them a push at the same time. smile.gif I'll start with:

Brendan Benson (Indie) - best song is probably "Spit It Out"
Arcade Fire (Indie Rock) - I like "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" most
Ok-Go (Indie Rock) - listen to "Get Over It"

Get downloading and give opinions people! cool.gif

Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#2 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

I've listened to Ok-go for ages!! Get over it rawks!! tongue.gif
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#3 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

Megaherz
This german industrial metal group are very good. I recommend Gott Sein '04 from the album 5 and Mein Sünde from the album Kopfschuss but the other songs are all very good.

Turmion Kätilöt
Yep another industrial metal band but this is a Finnish band this time. It's hard to say which are the best but Paha Ihminen and Pimeyden Morsian from the album Hoitovirhe I quite like.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#4 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

Quality. That kind of music always makes me smile biggrin.gif.

#5 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(djh1878 @ Dec 31 2005, 11:45 AM)
Arcade Fire (Indie Rock) - I like "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" most

Oh I love Arcade Fire! And that song is amazing.

I've now just HAD to go and put the cd on.

Best album of 2005. In my most humblest of opinions.
@

#6 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:08 AM

Shotts and Dykehead
Dysart and Dundonald
Boghall and Bathgate
Drambuie Kirkliston
St Lawrence O' Toole
Simon Fraser University

tongue.gif

very well known to some, yet not very well known to others

#7 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Jan 4 2006, 12:08 AM)
Boghall and Bathgate

tongue.gif

View Post

My mate had his first gig with them the other night biggrin.gif Played in front of 15000 people.

#8 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

see, PIPE BANDS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t.gif

#9 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

Dykehead

*giggle*
@

#10 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE(tuppence @ Jan 4 2006, 12:57 AM)
Dykehead

*giggle*

View Post

laugh.gif It's too late at night! I didn't notice that one! laugh.gif

#11 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:39 AM

The All American Rejects!

#12 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

Shotts and Dykehead

View Post

OMG ohmy.gif I have lived in Shotts my whole life (until a few years ago), and Dykehead was the name of the area that I lived in (as well the primary school I went to). Tell me more about this band or whatever it is

#13 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

Scott and Tuppy - you crude minded people!!
In fact my band just call them th "dyke's" which is a bit of a shame

SEEING AS THEY ARE THE WORLD NO 1 PIPE BAND!! They are actually the best pipe band in the world, won the world champs in grade 1.

YIC - You ohmy.gif lived ohmy.gif near ohmy.gif the ohmy.gif best ohmy.gif pipe ohmy.gif band ohmy.gif in ohmy.gif the ohmy.gif world ohmy.gif and ohmy.gif you ohmy.gif never ohmy.gif knew ohmy.gif

Erm....if you reallllly want to know more about a pipe band i will tell you. You SHOULD, seeing as tehy are the best fricking pipe band around - they were on bb1 on hogmanay live thing!! - but I doubt you will want to know any more now that you know its a pipe band.

#14 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Jan 4 2006, 01:58 PM)
Shotts and Dykehead

View Post

OMG ohmy.gif I have lived in Shotts my whole life (until a few years ago), and Dykehead was the name of the area that I lived in (as well the primary school I went to). Tell me more about this band or whatever it is

View Post

Was that not the name of the pipe band that played on Hogmany Live on BBC1 this year? :S

#15 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Jan 4 2006, 02:11 PM)
YIC - You ohmy.gif lived ohmy.gif near ohmy.gif the ohmy.gif best ohmy.gif pipe ohmy.gif band ohmy.gif in ohmy.gif the ohmy.gif world ohmy.gif and ohmy.gif you ohmy.gif never ohmy.gif knew ohmy.gif

Erm....if you reallllly want to know more about a pipe band i will tell you. You SHOULD, seeing as tehy are the best fricking pipe band around - they were on bb1 on hogmanay live thing!! - but I doubt you will want to know any more now that you know its a pipe band.

View Post

do you know any people (i.e. names tongue.gif ) that are in it?

#16 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Jan 4 2006, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE(miss macleod @ Jan 4 2006, 02:11 PM)

View Post

do you know any people (i.e. names tongue.gif ) that are in it?

View Post

I dont know anyone personally in it I don't THINK.

the full name is House of Edgar Shotts and Dykehead Pipe Band.

Go on their website members that is their grade one players - like, the best of the best.

But quite often big bands like that have a feeder band which carries most of the younger people (like myself) until they are good enough to play in the top grade competitions. So I don't know if Shotts have a feeder band that you would know anyone in.

BTW, check out that mp3 of hte hornpipe they have in the Gallery - thats fantastic!!! I love that, just listened to it. Like, that is gooood band playing if you want to hear good band playing ohmy.gif wink.gif How can anyone not like that! huh.gif

#17 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

I'm not going to participate, because you'll all just tell me to shut up anyway. tongue.gif

Lifehouse are good, though. My favourites being Spin and Everything.

Oh, and I still luff The Calling. Second best concert I've been to. You should download some of their stuff.

#18 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Got to add....some of "The Dead 60's" stuff is very good as well! smile.gif

IPB Image

#19 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(*sofax* @ Jan 1 2006, 06:58 PM)
I've listened to Ok-go for ages!! Get over it rawks!!  tongue.gif

View Post

Wow, good looks and good music taste..... wub.gif happy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif smile.gif

IPB Image

#20 smb

HSN Legend

• Members