Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The "How to Pass Higher English" book... - HSN forum

The "How to Pass Higher English" book...

15 replies to this topic

#1 8139222014

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

Has anyone used it, and if you thought it helped?

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

I used it. It was brilliant and really useful in aiding me to pass Higher English. I recommend you have a look through the book.

#3 8139222014

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:37 PM

Did you get a C, B or A? I would want an A rather than just a C (although a C right now would be a miracle)

#4 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(8139222014 @ Dec 26 2005, 01:37 PM)
Did you get a C, B or A? I would want an A rather than just a C (although a C right now would be a miracle)

View Post

I got a band 1 A.

#5 *dj*

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Love my music and going to gigs!! <br />Lord of the rings ROCKS...Aragorn in action what more can i say!!!<br />Up for a laugh, can be pretty imature at times:)<br />Love the distillers, the used, my chemical romance, guns n roses, the killers, list is endless!!!! been to a couple of heavy metal gigs tho!!<br /><br />what else is there to say??!!!<br />hmm......

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

im using it this year and finding it really useful
Stab my heart because your so controversial

#6 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:41 PM

i've started using it this year although im resitting english and im finding it really good so far. a load of people in my class bought it and we are all finding it really good.

xx
I'm not a tease i'm just a reminder of what you can't please!!!!!

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

Which one is that? The one with the dark green cover?

#8 8139222014

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:24 AM

no, erm...more of a light blue background

#9 jon2005

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:16 PM

This it?

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/03408...01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

#10 8139222014

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:13 AM

That's it

#11 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

That is a really good book to help people who are just on the borderline. It really is great at helping those on the verge of failing, and transforming them into passing well. My grammar is really bad there!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#12 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

I didn't use it for English but I used it for Computing (Higher). It's worked like a charm. It got me an A. If the English version is anything like the ICT one then I'd deffinitely recommend it! biggrin.gif

#13 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:37 PM

Yes people should definately use that range of books. However, if you have no previous knowledge of a subject whatsoever, I'd recommend you also get assistance in the form of tutoring or asking the moderators here. The situation that someone has no previpous knowledge of English is probably extremely rare though!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#14 Punkie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Music, psychology, hugs... Guitars... stuff... :)

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jan 6 2006, 02:37 PM)
The situation that someone has no previpous knowledge of English is probably extremely rare though!

View Post

I'll agree on that one... hehe.

Yeah, i'm using that book in computing and it's pretty good, although it would probably be better if our teacher didn't base everything he teaches us around it... It's more like a book that you go to when you're confused as to what the hell the teach is on about, not a tool for the classroom in that sense... I dunno if anyone can understand what I'm supposed to be saying there... blink.gif unsure.gif

I didn't know there was an english one, I may go have a look for it... biggrin.gif xx

#15 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

Just sat my English prelim and think I've mucked it up, sof I think I'll need to go and get myself a copy of that book!
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#16 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

I got that book on the advice of this thread. I've went froma close fail to a decent pass. It's a bit late if you haven't got it but if you can borrow it from anyone (although you might have to wrestle it from them) it was great. I got a 40 in a close reading today, thats from about 26 in January. And I can now pass an essay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users