Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
What is your mass? - HSN forum - Page 2

What is your mass?

59 replies to this topic

#21 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Shaun @ Dec 16 2005, 08:28 AM)
I have been on a diet this year and lost a mass of 31.75kg, or 70lbs.

Crikey! You've lost 5 stone? That's astonishing.

TELL ME YOUR SECRET!

I could do with shifting another 2 - 3 stone but all I seem to do is lose a couple of lbs then put it all back on again. Verr, verr annoying. sad.gif
@

#22 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:19 AM

Well, basically I started off on a calorie controlled diet (which all my diets previously had been) for example, you have 200kcal for breakfast, 400 kcal for dinner etc. But this time I decided to go fat controlled. Not saturated fat, not mono unsaturated fat, just all fat in general. I don't eat nuts (extremely high in fat - although good fat - but still fat), cakes, crisps etc etc.

**Note : I think calorie controlled diets are rubbish - look in supermarkets - calories are independant of fat. i.e. if you pick up 2 different 400kcal meals, one might have 20g of fat (which is high) and the other might have only 4g. So, if you were going calorie controlled, you could have either meal but even if weren't on a fat controlled diet - it is obviously better for someone on a calorie controlled diet (or any diet) to eat the meal with the less fat. This is how I think they are misleading.

A typical male is meant to eat 95g worth of fat a day and 70g for female I think. When I was really strict I was eating around 15g per day, or just under 16% of what I should be having.

For example, breakfast I try to keep around 2g of fat. Wheatabix, Frosties, ANY cereal usually is less than 2g of fat (or around 2.5 or something with milk). A common misconception is that something like Frosties is fattening - it isn't. Frosties are coated with sugar - but there is no fat in sugar (although there are calories - but I'm not on a calorie controlled diet).

For dinner, if I was to be great you can get meals in Tesco etc like Chicken Breasts in a Mexican sauce or something for around 4g of fat! (Simply look at the back of food) although now I may eat around 10g.

For example, if a meal had something like this at the back:

Fat : 10.4g
Of Which Saturates : 7.4g

The fat is 10.4, not 7.4, some people on a fat controlled diet only limit their saturated fat (a bad fat) instead of total fat. On my diet, the fat in the above example is 10.4, not 7.4, irrespective of whether the other 3g of fat is good or bad - in the end - it is fat.

No need to stop drinking your Pepsi or Irn Brew, or switch to diet (since Pepsi and Irn Brew etc contain sugar - but no fat) although when I was strict on my diet I always drank water.

You can eat chewy sweeties (which I love) like Wine Gums, Fruit Pastiles, Pick n' Mix (there are no fat in these what-so-ever.

So what I'm basically saying is that crisps, cakes, chocolate is out of the question. Have something around 2g of fat for breakfast (bread varies from around 0.5g a slice to 5g so watch out), a sandwich for lunch (with Snackajacks if you like which are 2.4g of fat) then for dinner, start off with a ready meal (something you can microwave etc) which is less than 10g of fat, and eat nothing after dinner.

Something else I tried : If you want to eat junk food, instead of saying to yourself "Don't have it!!!!" which is a phychological action - do a physical action - stop yourself from entering the kitchen. If you can physically stop yourself from doing that - then you won't eat stuff your not meant to, will you? i.e. if your sitting in your room, doing homework and you want to have crisps (around 7g of fat!!!) physically restrain yourself - don't let yourself leave the room!

I hope this is of some help and if you want to know anything else, please feel free to ask.

One more thing - losing the weight - it isn't simply enough to go on a diet - if you do - you WILL put the weight back on - you need to change yourself - how you think. If you just lose weight - then that, of course is good, but you haven't actually changed your thought processes so you need to change how you think.

I will never eat a chippy again in my life, or eat a full bag of crisps (I occasionally open a packet and have a couple out of it - which is ok) or anything else very fattening.

I disagree with Scottish Slimmers (calorie controlled), Weight Watchers (fat controlled) they simply speak propaganda.

My diet, I organised myself, it works, I can prove it works.

#23 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:26 AM

Crikey! Wasn't expecting such a long and detailed reply - thought you'd just say "tape yer mouth closed, then you can't eat - ya fat cow!". Thanks verr much for typing that all oot.

NOT TO SOUND LIKE A BUM, but I've tried all that sad.gif However, I have no bloody willpower. Especially not when I have a nana and a mama shoving cakes in front of my face ALL THE TIME and telling me I need to eat more and to 'stop being anorexic'. (Errrr.... right). I guess I was stupidly hoping you'd enlighten me with a 'quick fix' solution. Alas, there is no quick fix!

Tis good to hear you're not one of those dafties who's obsessed with calories, calories, calories! Although, CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, calories (which are engergy, right?) can become fat if their not used up? Like, if you consume loads of energy but don't use it it gets stored up? Or am I talking mince?

(Wikipedia says that 3500 calories = 1lb of fat. Is this accurate at all?)

Bah. Chewy sweets have bits of animal in them. This is where being a veggie is verr, verr annoying. Boiled sweets are alright though? I like chocolate limes. 4.5g of fat per 100g. But there's no way I'd eat 100g of them. Yeugh. & OOOH, and I love snack-a-jacks. I could eat them until I explode.

I'm going to be such a party pooper this Xmas and refuse all Xmassy food. I don't even like it anyway. Usually eat it just cos it's there. Or because I get whined at for not eating. I'd rather have tofu and noodles for Xmas lunch, what's so wrong with that?

My bmi is about 23 (I know people say that bmi's are stupid, but whatever, I think they're a good indicator) so I know I'm not morbidly obese or anything. I'd just like to be less of a gargantuan FLABMONSTERRRR.

What am I doing on t'interwebs at 1:30am? I should go sleep now.
@

#24 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:00 AM

As for the x amount of calories = x amount of fat, it will depend on your personal metabolism and the amount of exercise you do. BMI is ok as an indicator I think if you're not an athlete with more than average muscle mass. According to BMI this guy would probably be too fat:
user posted image
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#25 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE(bred @ Dec 17 2005, 02:00 AM)
...if you're not an athlete with more than average muscle mass.

I most certainly am not! Hahahaha!

I do have quite muscley arms though. Not crazy manly weird Madonna-type muscley, but I-can-punch-you-in-the-face-and-it-will-hurt type muscley. I have a fear of bingo wings so am prone to using 'ladies weights' to exersize the ol' triceps.
@

#26 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(tuppence @ Dec 17 2005, 01:26 AM)
Crikey! Wasn't expecting such a long and detailed reply - thought you'd just say "tape yer mouth closed, then you can't eat - ya fat cow!". Thanks verr much for typing that all oot.

NOT TO SOUND LIKE A BUM, but I've tried all that sad.gif However, I have no bloody willpower. Especially not when I have a nana and a mama shoving cakes in front of my face ALL THE TIME and telling me I need to eat more and to 'stop being anorexic'. (Errrr.... right). I guess I was stupidly hoping you'd enlighten me with a 'quick fix' solution. Alas, there is no quick fix!

Tis good to hear you're not one of those dafties who's obsessed with calories, calories, calories! Although, CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, calories (which are engergy, right?) can become fat if their not used up? Like, if you consume loads of energy but don't use it it gets stored up? Or am I talking mince?

(Wikipedia says that 3500 calories = 1lb of fat. Is this accurate at all?)

Bah. Chewy sweets have bits of animal in them. This is where being a veggie is verr, verr annoying. Boiled sweets are alright though? I like chocolate limes. 4.5g of fat per 100g. But there's no way I'd eat 100g of them. Yeugh. & OOOH, and I love snack-a-jacks. I could eat them until I explode.

I'm going to be such a party pooper this Xmas and refuse all Xmassy food. I don't even like it anyway. Usually eat it just cos it's there. Or because I get whined at for not eating. I'd rather have tofu and noodles for Xmas lunch, what's so wrong with that?

My bmi is about 23 (I know people say that bmi's are stupid, but whatever, I think they're a good indicator) so I know I'm not morbidly obese or anything. I'd just like to be less of a gargantuan FLABMONSTERRRR.

What am I doing on t'interwebs at 1:30am? I should go sleep now.

View Post

A BMI of 23 is good, so what you worried about?

If you don't want flab goto the gym

EDIT: I should have been more specific, goto the gym and excercise, do cardio and burn guess what? FAT!

Edited by John, 17 December 2005 - 12:27 PM.

#27 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

And of course eat a healthy, balanced diet.

Eating smaller portions more often increases your metabolism too.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#28 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(tuppence @ Dec 17 2005, 01:26 AM)
& OOOH, and I love snack-a-jacks. I could eat them until I explode.

View Post

snack-a-jacks actually have very little fat compared to other crisps as far as I know

#29 kpusa1981

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics watching it as well as baseball on T.V. <br />Educational systems of the world ( mostly the UK). I took a German 101 and French 101<br />German 101: droped<br />French 101: B

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

I am 48.636363634 kg. (107lbs) my BMI is 19.6. I am 5 feet 2 or2 1/2 inches tall.
How many stones am I?

#30 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:24 PM

Too light, AFAIK. :S

#31 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(kpusa1981 @ Dec 21 2005, 08:34 PM)
I am 48.636363634 kg. (107lbs) my BMI is 19.6.  I am 5 feet 2 or2 1/2 inches tall.
How many stones am I?

View Post

7 stone and 8.99 pounds

Google is so useful.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#32 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(KhalidBoussouara @ Dec 21 2005, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE(kpusa1981 @ Dec 21 2005, 08:34 PM)
I am 48.636363634 kg. (107lbs) my BMI is 19.6.  I am 5 feet 2 or2 1/2 inches tall.
How many stones am I?

View Post

7 stone and 8.99 pounds

Google is so useful.

View Post

Hmm, I got 6 stones and 11lbs...I was thinking that 16lbs = 1st. Oh well.

#33 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

i weigh just under 6 stone, but i'm losing weigh again. unsure.gif
gizmo ph34r.gif
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#34 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(gizmo @ Jan 15 2006, 12:48 PM)
i weigh just under 6 stone, but i'm losing weigh again.  unsure.gif
gizmo ph34r.gif
x

View Post

You weigh under 6 stone? That's seriously underweight. huh.gif
You'll never bring me down, cos' i'm so far above you...

#35 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:10 PM

I thought I had problems when I was 7 stone. O_o

You'll be pleased to know I've put half a stone on in the past week, haha! 'Mon the belly!

#36 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

You are a bit taller though. Congrats on the belly.

#37 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Jan 15 2006, 04:43 PM)
You are a bit taller though. Congrats on the belly.

View Post

You'll be getting a beer belly soon tongue.gif Stop trying to stop my "1 month of no drinking" attempt dry.gif 10 times or so you put that pint of Tennants in front of my face on Friday. I had to kick your ass at pool just to get my own back dry.gif

#38 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

urm tennets? i am please to know that ur keeping ur weight up, i just have eatin problems but its getting better now, i think, i'm a short a**e neway so... i also never stay in one place so burn off alot of energy, escepially on saturdays when i'm out all day ridin the horses. that reminds me, thanks scott
luv
gizmo ph34r.gif
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#39 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(gizmo @ Jan 17 2006, 12:30 PM)
urm tennets?

View Post

You know; user posted image user posted image

#40 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

that drink has a colour in between urine and faeces ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users