Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Any Advice on Personal Study? - HSN forum

Any Advice on Personal Study?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Lucia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:amateur genealogist/family historian

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:13 PM

[FONT=Times][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]

Hi, I'm preparing for my personal study on Monday(Catch-22). I've already prepared a page of notes and I'm going to do a timed essay. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice? Thanks unsure.gif

#2 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:22 PM

I just sat my personal study today! One of the main things I feel I could've improved on, is the preparation of what exactly you want to say... and how long you have to say each bit.

For me, I need serious work on developing conclusions and I think quite a lot of people also have a problem sometimes with thinking of effective conclusions?

As long as you understand your notes and feel you've covered a good variety of ideas, should be fine!

#3 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

And another important thing is to try and relax about it (but not TOO much!) smile.gif Honestly.. getting worked up is probably worse than having no notes imo.

#4 Lucia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Ali89 @ Dec 8 2005, 06:27 PM)
And another important thing is to try and relax about it (but not TOO much!)  smile.gif  Honestly.. getting worked up is probably worse than having no notes imo.

View Post

Thanks for the advice. I'm known to panic in exams so yes I will bear that in mind.
Lucia
smile.gif

#5 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:40 PM

no problem! smile.gif See what others say though... good to get advice from different folk!

#6 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:08 PM

Yeh. Relax, you seem prepared
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#7 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:15 PM

not getting too worked up is the key, keep calm, preparation is quite important but id say being cool and happy with your knowledge is vital

i always arse essays when im worked up, but somehow ace them hungover, strange world i live in
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#8 Lucia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the advice smile.gif I did my personal study today - it was Catch 22. There was so much there that I could only write about a quarter of what I wanted, can't believe I only had an hour to do it! Hope I did okay though..

Lucia

#9 Lucia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

I passed! So pleased with myself smile.gif
Lucia

#10 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Oh good. I'm happy that you passed. Most people get worked up and then pass!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#11 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

i got soo worried about mine, my first attempt didnt go too well, i just got a C and no more. sad.gif
the whole class had a second attempt, and i found out the other day that i got a B!! im so chuffed, the work finally paid off!!! wink.gif
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#12 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

The key to preparation is to do it at home at least once. Then you know you can do it, and you'll know whether you have time for everything, and as such can edit the lesser stuff out if you don't have enough time.

See, that the mistake I made the first time I took english. I didn't have time to do all of my PS on Hamlet - I had to miss out the final chunk, which happily was the worst.
This year, I got made to redo it, even though I passed last year. I practiced it beforehand, and it wasn't nerve-wracking at all, since I knew what to do, and that I was able to do it... (by the way, this year I did Othello, which I decided sucked last year.)
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users