Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How to calculate the percentage you need for an A - HSN forum - Page 2

How to calculate the percentage you need for an A

44 replies to this topic

#21 porsch1909

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:44 PM

With 30% course work and me getting full marks in the coursework. I went into the exam needing a comfy 57% for an A.....

A1 i got!

#22 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

For the NEW Higher, they work in bands (1, 2, 3 etc), so a band 1, you need 170/200 in total, band 2, you need 140/200 BUT I read somewhere (I think it was the "arranged documents" in www.sqa.org.uk, not sure). Anyway it said if you do well compared to your coursework, they bring you down a band. I got 37/60 for my course work so say I got 106/140 for the exam, this should be a band 2, A. But instead they would bring me down to band 3, B.

Is this true, if so does anyone agree with this?

#23 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:08 AM

Or lets say we go with BIG numbers - I get 134/140 (almost impossible), this should mean a Band 1 A, except they would put it down to band 2. Don't you think this is a bit un-fair?

#24 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:26 PM

If you got that from the arrangement documents, you have misinterpreted it, or not read it right, the example they use is that the centres own prelim is less demanding, that is why they bring the grade down one band.

#25 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

So you mean, by appealing using the prelim, they would bring you down a band?

#26 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

No, because you would only use a prelim if you gained a higher grade than what you got. Thge example in the Arrangements documents is saying that the centres prelim is less demanding than the standard of exam, so therefore the pass mark is raised, meaning that some people will get a lower grade, in that case thats what happened.

#27 moonster6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(porsch1909 @ May 20 2005, 01:44 PM)
With 30% course work and me getting full marks in the coursework. I went into the exam needing a comfy 57% for an A.....

A1 i got!

View Post

Cool, that's the same position i'm in - i got full amrks for coursework n i done well in my prelim. Thanx that has really cheered me up before the exam!!!

#28 rossco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

My teacher won't giv me ma coursework mark either bt I think it will b ok - I never even realised it counted! Did well in the prelim so I am hopin for the best 2! smile.gif

#29 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:07 PM

I just found it (From "Course Assesment pack"):

Worked example
♦ In a centre’s own prelim, a candidate scores 88/140, and the candidate scores
37/60 in the practical coursework
♦ The two marks are added together, giving a total of 125/200
♦ The centre’s view is that their own prelim is slightly less demanding than SQA
examination.
♦ Using the mark range, a realistic estimate may be band 5 rather than band 4.

This is a perfect example for me as I got 37/60 in the practical coursework. So say the prelim was less demanding (which it probably will be) than the actual exam, and say I get 110/140 - enough for an A, this means I will be moved down to a B, band 3. Shouldn't they give you credit for that, passing the harder exam?

#30 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

Yes you do get credit for passing the external exam, no matter it's difficulty. The SQA will only see your prelim if your teacher puts in an appeal for you, and that is only if the prelim is acceptable for appeals.

#31 Dunkyp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

One thing to watch with this is that your course work is submitted I got a B on my results but it later turned out my course work (30/30) hadn't been submitted and I got a band 1 A

#32 HollieThomson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Bed, phone, pals, tv, films, iPod, music, magazines - aw the usually girl stuff

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

hey

yep higher comp is a complete joke cool.gif

#33 wilson2kay6

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Music, swimming 'n' having a laugh

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

hu all stick to asking my teacher lol

#34 Daron Malakian

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(HollieThomson @ Feb 3 2006, 10:57 PM) View Post

i completely agree i think only failures who can't handle proper sciences take anything to do with computers

#35 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

oh you do, do you?

*holds back desire to destroy Daron*

why would you think that exactly i suppose you think object orientated programming, computer organisation, network programming and regular expressions are all simple concepts and trivial

I would ask you to watch what you say as not to offend other members because its not good for the community spirit and since there is tonnes of computer scientists on this board and mod team we will take no prisoners

NB: I AINT NO FAILURE

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#36 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

*twitch* *holds back fist to resist punching Daron in the face* *twitch*
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#37 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

Actually, most people at my university who do Computer Science take Maths, Biology, Chemistry or Physics as their elective. smile.gif Actually, for some of us (myself included) Maths is compulsory. Really Computer Science is Philosophy mixed with Maths.

I'll just go back to mashing the keyboard with my hands in a lame attempt to write something for the subject I study. I'm such a failure I cannot use my fingers to get individual keys, so my hand ends up mashing the keyboard.

#38 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

like i am doing a MASTERS in computer science with classes in maths, stats and modelling science. While also being a maths mod here and took maths and physics to an advanced higher level at school

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#39 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping &lt;3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(Daron Malakian @ May 23 2006, 02:33 PM) View Post

i completely agree i think only failures who can't handle proper sciences take anything to do with computers

I'm assuming you don't/didn't do higher comp.....unless you class yourself as a failure, so why on earth are you in a Computing Forum ???? huh.gif blink.gif
Teeheee, and you think I'm daft !!!
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#40 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Daron Malakian @ May 23 2006, 03:33 PM) View Post

QUOTE(HollieThomson @ Feb 3 2006, 10:57 PM) View Post

Higher isnt a joke. It isnt terribly difficult but I found it quite an interesting course. Obviously Daron hasnt ever seen anything past school level computing. Have a look at this, these are the papers for the 2nd year module I am studying next semester:

http://www.dcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/undergrad/...-01-Paper-1.pdf
http://www.dcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/undergrad/...-01-Paper-2.pdf

To do this module requires at least a C in Advanced Higher Mathematics as well as CS1002 and CS1004 which cover all the things Dave mentioned. And some of the labs for these modules are truly terrifying compared to Higher as well. I m sure Dave and other computer science degree students can vouch for their resepective labs as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users