Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Maths Polynomial Questions - HSN forum

Maths Polynomial Questions

15 replies to this topic

#1 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

I'm stuck with quite a few questions:

4. Given that x[^2] + 1 is a factor of px[^3] + qx[^2] + px + q, find the other factor.

8. Construct a cubic equation with roots -power1.gifpowerslash.gifbase3.gif, power1.gifpowerslash.gifbase3.gif and power1.gifpowerslash.gifbase2.gif in the form ax[^3] + bx[^2] + cx + d = 0 where a, b, c and d are integers.

10. f(x) = 5x[^3] - x[^2] - 1

a) Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by 2x - 1.
I got remainder -0.625.

b) Write f(x) in the form (2x - 1)Q(x) + R where Q(x) is a quadratic expression and R is a constant.

c) Write f(x) in the form k[(2x - 1)(ax[^2] + bx + c) + d] where a, b, c and d are integers and k is rational.

12. f(x) = 4x[^3] + 4x[^2] - 21x + 9

a) Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by x - 1.
I got remainder -4.

b) The coefficient of x in f(x) can be altered so that when the new f(x) is divided by x - 1 the remainder is zero. Find the new coefficient.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

#2 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:33 PM

just thought i'd try the first question i looked at:

"10. f(x) = 5x[^3] - x[^2] - 1

a) Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by 2x - 1.
I got remainder -0.625."

I also got -0.625

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#3 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

Thanks Paul, do you know how to answer any of the other questions?

#4 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:57 PM

These seem to be slightly tricky questions!

For parts b and c of q10, you need to bear in mind that you've actually divided by x-\frac12 (ie you started with \frac12 on the left of the table for synthetic division).

i.e. you get f(x) = (x-\frac12)(\text{quadratic from bottom row}) + \text{remainder}

To give it in the form required, you'll need to double the (x-\frac12) - so you need to halve the quadratic (ie multiply each coefficient by 1/2).

Hope that helps a little bit smile.gif

#5 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

For question 4, I'm not sure how to explain it!

You want px^3 + qx^2 + px + q = (x^2 + 1)( \text{something} )

Now, that something must be of the form ax + b, so that the ax term will multiply with the x^2 term to give you the px^3.

From that, you should be able to deduce what the 'a' is (ax \times x^2 = px^3 wink.gif ), and then do something similar for 'b'.

For 12, I also get -4 for the remainder in part a.

For part b, you basically need to find p in f(x) = 4x^3 + 4x^2 + px + 9 so that (x-1) is a factor - there's an example of a question like this in our notes for Polynomials and Quadratics smile.gif .

#6 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:15 PM

I think I understand now.

The bottom row from the synthetic division for 10. b) was: 5, 1.5, 0.75, -0.625.

So would the answer be:

f(x) = (x - 1/2)(5x^2 + 1.5x + 0.75) -0.625
(x2)= (2x - 1)(2.5x^2 + 0.75x + 0.375) -0.625

Is that correct?

#7 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:20 PM

I understand question 12 now, thanks.

Not sure about question 4 though...

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

if you have one factor

you can find the other by synthetically dividing the equation by the factor

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE(Joel @ Nov 28 2005, 11:15 PM)
I think I understand now.

The bottom row from the synthetic division for 10. b) was: 5, 1.5, 0.75, -0.625.

So would the answer be:

f(x) = (x - 1/2)(5x^2 + 1.5x + 0.75) -0.625
(x2)= (2x - 1)(2.5x^2 + 0.75x + 0.375) -0.625

Is that correct?

View Post

Yep, that's what I got.

For 4, you could just try multiplying out (x^2+1)(ax+b) and then compare what you get with the polynomial you want.

#10 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Nov 28 2005, 11:34 PM)
if you have one factor

you can find the other by synthetically dividing the equation by the factor

View Post

Thats how I would normally find the second factor but I've only ever done it with first factors like x - 2 = 0, x = 2.

What happens when the x term is squared like in this question?

x^2 + 1 = 0
x^2 = -1
x = 1?

Is the 1st factor x = 1?

#11 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:55 AM

there will be no factor from that, as at Higher Level you can't find the square root of a negative number.

One way to check if there are any "real" factors is to stick the equation you are synthetically dividing into GraphIt or something similar, and see if it cut's the x axis.

#12 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, square roots of negative numbers is not covered until Advanced Highers, in the complex numbers topic.

#13 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

Unless you complete the square?

#14 duncad

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:14 AM

Q4
When you use synthetic division on a polynomial the bottom line reveals a quadratic. In this case the quadratic is (x^2 + 1).
Therefore the bottom line of the synthetic division is:- 1 0 1 0.
You should be able to deduce that p = 1 and q = -1.
Now work backwards to reveal that the other factor is (x - 1).

#15 duncad

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

Q12b
Set out your synthetic division showing zero remainder and with the x coefficient = a.
Now work backwards to get the coefficient to be -17.

ie in the second last column you will have a + 8 = -9

#16 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the help everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users