Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
random facts thread - HSN forum - Page 2

random facts thread

51 replies to this topic

#21 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE(Isla from Banff @ Nov 30 2005, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE(bred @ Nov 27 2005, 07:03 PM)
Most Zambians don't live to see their 40th birthday.

Water at 70°C can freezer faster than water at 30°C.

View Post

Thanks a lot for this comment my boyfriend is a Zambian and i hope he lives to be older than 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx

View Post

Well it is a fact.

Your boyfriend is probably ok though. He's probably part of the 1.1% of Zambians that are of European origin. He probably doesn't have to walk miles so he can get a drink of water. And the water he drinks probably isn't polluted. He probably doesn't have HIV/AIDS like 920,000 (16.5%) of people in Zambia. He can probably afford mosquito nets to avoid malaria, good food (avoiding bacterial diseases), avoid having to bathe in rivers (avoiding schistosomiasis), and working in the risky business of Zambian subsistence agriculture.

Sorry if I'm wrong.

QUOTE(dondon)
EDIT: oh and you can drop a cat out a window from the first floor or below or from the seventh floor or up inbetween it won't survive.

It will survive even if you drop it from the 101st floor of Taipei 101?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#22 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:23 AM

Of course biggrin.gif

well it doesnt say the upper limit and I don't think I'll try it really.

Interestingly, two veterinarians did a study (examining 132 cases of cats that had fallen out of high-rise windows) and found that in falls of seven stories or less, the chance of survival was indeed greater with the shorter distances. However, with falls greater than seven stories, the number of injuries actually declined when compared to falls at seven stories. So, beyond seven stories, the farther the fall, the better the chance of survival! They found that the reason for this was that after five stories or so, cats reach terminal velocity. The velocity or speed of a falling body does not increase forever because the rate of increase in speed is interrupted by air resistance. A skydiver reaches a terminal velocity of around 130 to 140 mph after about 30 seconds of free-falling. Cats reach terminal velocity much sooner at about 60 mph.

Before reaching terminal velocity, cats have their muscles tensed and are rigid and flexed and prepared for landing, making them more prone to injury due to the impact. Once they've reached terminal velocity, however, they relax and spread themselves out much like a flying squirrel, allowing the impact to be absorbed by a larger surface area and therefore resulting in fewer injuries.

Edited by dondon, 02 December 2005 - 12:26 AM.

#23 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

I just did a bit of research and apparently cats have been known to have survived falls from up to 32 stories! ohmy.gif There's also some interesting stuff about cats and terminal velocity: http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/contents/co...?id=70&cat=cats
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#24 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:37 AM

Cats are elite...

like stealth ninjas.

smile.gif

#25 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

It is illegal for an MP to enter the House of Commons dressed in a full suit of armor.

In Texas, USA, criminals have to, by law, give their victims at least 24 hours notice either written or verbal of the time the crime has to be committed and the nature of the crime to be committed.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#26 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:57 PM

Yes, but by law... surely they shouldn't commit any crimes.

Silly law.

#27 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:49 PM

oh i remember another one, in this country it is perfectly legal for a pregnant woman or a taxi driver to pee in a street but not for anyone else.

#28 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

In 1806, Reykjavk's population numbered only 300; 27 of that number were in prison for public inebriation.

#29 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

you lose calories when eating celery, as you burn more calories munching it than it is in calories.

#30 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

Calories are energy, thus you cannot lose them. smile.gif

#31 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ Nov 23 2006, 07:30 PM) View Post

you lose calories when eating celery, as you burn more calories munching it than it is in calories.

Aparently, - Sali is telling me - it is the same with kiwi and ice cubes.

#32 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(John @ Nov 23 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post

You can lose them. You losing them doesn't infer that they disappear from space.

#33 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Nov 23 2006, 11:33 PM) View Post

You can lose them. You losing them doesn't infer that they disappear from space.

You still do not lose them, you would convert them into other forms of energy.

#34 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

Thatchers nickname the Iron Lady comes from a russian newspaper of the time... it was mistranslated it actually read frigid bitch in russian...

dnt know if its been posted
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland ber alles,
ber alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brderlich zusammenhlt,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland ber alles,
ber alles in der Welt.

#35 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(John @ Nov 24 2006, 03:03 PM) View Post

QUOTE(bred @ Nov 23 2006, 11:33 PM) View Post

You still do not lose them, you would convert them into other forms of energy.

But that energy isn't with you anymore when the calories are 'burnt off' so they are lost to space.

The Higher Geography Resources thread has more page views than any other academic thread on HSN, as far as I can see!

#36 Gillz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:10 PM

I have one. Panama is the only place in the world where you can see the sun rise on the Pacific Ocean and set on the Atlantic Ocean.

#37 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

What about Costa Rica, Nicuraga and Columbia?

Oh and the sun would infact set on the Carribbean Sea would it not?

#38 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

Panama is the only country that would be narrow enough to see both oceans from the one spot, I guess.

It is the Caribbean Sea, but I guess it is still the Atlantic Ocean too.

In 1891 there were 2,871 one room tenements in London housing 6 people each and 7 one room tenements housing >12 people each.

#39 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, I would count the Carribbean Sea as being part of the Atlantic Ocean, like you would classify France as being part of Europe...

#40 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

Although I agreed, I don't think it is quite so clear cut as the France being part of Europe analogy. The oceans are comprised of a continuous body of water whereas there are absolutely clear agreed national boundaries of France and Europe. The CIA's World Factbook notes the area of the Atlantic Ocean as 76.762 million sq km which includes the Caribbean Sea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users