Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The answers to section one HERE. - HSN forum

The answers to section one HERE.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

Before you read these, don't worry, remember there is always more than one answer. These are the answers I put.

SECTION ONE ANSWERS

1. (a) A vector graphic is stored as an object with attributes.
1. (b) Something along the lines of shape: rectangle, line thickness: 3

2. (a) This is what I wrote, my teacher did not check this:

The control bus is a set of discrete lines each performing their own task. The data bus determines how much data can be processed in one operation and the address-bus determines the number of addresses.

2. (b) 2^24 = 16777216 addresses.

3. I put Pages Per Minute (PPM) and the resolution at which the printer prints at. I'm not sure if PPM is correct though, another acceptable answer would be the type of interface.

4. Device Selection and Status Information.

5. (i) Increasing the mantissa increases the precision of the number
5. (ii) Increasing the exponent increases the range of numbers.

6. (a) (don't know if this is correct) Make sure disk is present in floppy drive.

6. (b) Control where file is placed in main memory.

7. (a) Check sum. This is when an answer to a calculation is sent along with the data and the computer at the other end has an algorithm which does a calculation and if the answers match, the data is accepted.

7. (b) It increases system performance (it doesn't decrease it) as the computer will be less prone to crashing if the data it is dealing with is correct/accurate.

8. (a) A global variable is a variable which is in effect in an entire program.

8. (b) A real array (integer is not accepted as it is money they are dealing with), simply 'array' gets no marks.

9. (a). (i) Normal, Limits and Exceptions.
9. (a). (ii) I'm assuming the ages of a student are between 12 and 18.

Normal = 14,15,16
Limits = 11,12,13 and 17,18,19
Exceptions = -18000, 567.8

9. (b) (iii) Counting Occurrences.

10. The use of meaningful variable and procedure names. The use of internal commentary.

11. (a). Interview management personnel. Observation notes taken.

11. (b) The purpose of the design stage is to plan the solution to the problem.

11. ©. Pseudo code - It uses english type words and has numbers to show dependencies.

1.1. Ask users name
1.2. Get users name

(you could obviously have other design notations such as structure diagram)

12. (a) A parameter is an item of data (don't know if I would be marked correct for that).

12. (b). Passed by reference is when the subprogram changes the data held in a parameter and passes the updated parameter out to the rest of the program.

13. They have all ready been checked for errors, so the programmer saves time as they don't have to be checked again.

They can simply be copied and pasted which means the programmer doesn't have to spend time typing code.

END OF SECTION ONE ANSWERS

#2 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (fearfactor47 @ May 31 2004, 06:05 PM)
7. (a) Check sum. This is when an answer to a calculation is sent along with the data and the computer at the other end has an algorithm which does a calculation and if the answers match, the data is accepted.

7. (b) It increases system performance (it doesn't decrease it) as the computer will be less prone to crashing if the data it is dealing with is correct/accurate.

New Higher Computing by John Walsh says that performance is DECREASED when data integrity checks are used:

"Whatever type of check is used to ensure a system’s data integrity, extra processing time is required to carry out the check. This will slightly reduce the overall system performance because some of the processing time is used to ensure data integrity. For example the parity bit and checksum require extra bits to be sent along with the data. In the case of the parity bit 1 bit in every 8 is redundant, leading to a 12.5% performance degradation. Overall system performance is reduced because the data to be processed is greater than if no data check had been carried out"

Your argument about the computer crashing less is valid in my opinion, but a decrease in performance is what the teachers in my school said would be expected.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#3 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

You are right, there is no arguing with a book! I actually didn't understand what was meant by that question. Like data integrity increases system performance in the sense that it makes sure the correctness of the data so the system is less prone to crashing, but in the sense you mentioned, it decreases it because it has to do calculations for the check sum etc.

I think this question is vague, but I think the decreasing system performance will be perceived as correct. Did anyone else write what I wrote?

When I asked my teacher she said what I wrote was correct AS LONG AS I EXPLAINED WHY. I suppose it's kind of like english, you take a view point and you have to prove it through an argument. I think both cases should be valid with suitable argument. What do you guys think?

#4 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

Hmm looks like I would have got about 24/25 out of 30.

I didnt get 1b, or 2b as I did what a few people in my year did, 2^24*16. Shouldn't have fallen for it.

Didnt get anything for data integrity, and I wrote "array" for 8b. I also doubt I got 6a correct

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:30 PM

12.a Should be: A parameter is a variable which is passed *between the main program and subprogram*, it can be passed either by reference or by value.
user posted image

#6 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:06 PM

The control bus is a set of discrete lines each performing their own task. The data bus determines how much data can be processed in one operation and the address-bus determines the number of addresses.

The correct answer I think is:

The control bus is a set of discrete lines each performing a different task.
Both the address bus and the data bus consist of a set of interdependant lines each of which perform the same function.

The answer I had and this is mentioned in our notes is although it decreases system performance in that whatever type of check is used to ensure a system’s data integrity, extra processing time is required to carry out the check. This will slightly reduce the overall system performance because some of the processing time is used to ensure data integrity, it actually overall increases system performance- this is because the data is more correct therefore less need to retransmit whole sections of data as easier to pipoint errors and just retransmit this data therefore quicker processing therefore increased system performance.

I think both answers will be acceptable
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:16 PM

data integrity is only a method of showing the data is incorrect not increasing the percentage of times the data is error free so system performance isn't posituvely afffeted. The answer on decreasing system performance because of extra processing is correct

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 porsch1909

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:59 AM

i didnt put checksum for the data integrity one i just put error checking.

and i am pretty positive that as long as you give a good reason wether ti increases or decreases system performanceyoull get the mark.

are these your answers or official teacher answers.

#9 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

These are my answers, however I wrote most of the answers that I was unsure about onto paper and my teacher looked over them and said I'd done great lol. I know ALL of my answers aren't correct, but the majority of them are.

Thanks,

Shaun.

#10 Gem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:06 PM

They are wholely similar to mines, so hopefully that'a good sign. But yes, I put data integrity slowed down system performance, because extra bits were being sent as part of the checksum, which meant there was more to fetch and execute in the fetch-execute cycle.

#11 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:07 PM

for address bus u wud need to mention the amount of memory as well as the number of addresses even tho they are related.

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:29 PM

for the last question one of my answers was the source code would be smaller because the module is only declared in the source to show its path so it can be retrieved at run-time and run.

This was one of the accepted answers in a past paper i suppose the answer you gave would be ok however

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 4 2004, 04:07 PM)
for address bus u wud need to mention the amount of memory as well as the number of addresses even tho they are related.

even though the quesion said give the number of memory addresses that x bits would give? blink.gif
user posted image

#14 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:57 PM

Yeah I would have thought all this question was asking for, is the fact that the control bus is not a true bus, since data doesn't travel along all lines at the same time. It consists of a set of independant control lines which control all processor operations. Which is the complete difference of how the Data and Adress bus' work
Mark

#15 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (werlop @ Jun 5 2004, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 4 2004, 04:07 PM)

even though the quesion said give the number of memory addresses that x bits would give? blink.gif

i agree with sparky

its just the sqa are very fussy with using similar terminiology in the question in ur answer where there is a different definition in the content statements which should be known too

#16 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:54 AM

I have to disagree tongue.gif

The question simply states "Calculate the number of addresses that are avaiable to the microcomputer." The answer is 16777216 addresses. You don't need to mention anything about memory. It simply states calculate the number of addresses...the answer is there are 16777216 addresses,

I fail to see how this is wrong. It asks for the number of addresses and I have given the number of addresses....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users