Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Maths Help - HSN forum

Maths Help

9 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

1- Differentiate:
y=(2x+3) powerx.gif(squared) OVER 2 sqrt.gif x

*Not working out for me, so help would be appreciated

2- Find the Max. and Min. value of f(x) in the interval [1,3] where
f(x)=x(cubed) - 6x

*How do you do that Q?

#2 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:39 PM

Well, for the first one it would be handy to remember the a^2 + 2ab + b^2 rule, and remember to change square root to index form, maybe that helps?

#3 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

I opened the brackets, though some of the fractions don't make sense, so what answer did you get when you did it?

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:33 PM

Expand the brackets on the numerator. Split the fraction so that you have each term with the  \sqrt {x} in the denominator. The using  \sqrt {x} = x^ {\frac {1}{2}} u can then the subtract the powers of the numerator and denominator as you're dividing and get it into linear form. Then it's just straightforward.

Post up your final answer if you need it checked... try to show working, though I know it's a little tough if you don't know how to use the latex coding.

#5 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

Ok, I'll post later what I got. As busy working on my English H.W.

#6 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

I have solved both Qs, myself but can someone atleast help me with this Q:

Solve the Eqn 2cos2x+cosx-1=0, where 0<=x<=360 (degrees)

*As I am not good with Addition Formulae, so can someone help me get it in a form for me to solve.

#7 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(Rocky @ Nov 18 2005, 03:35 PM)
I have solved both Qs, myself but can someone atleast help me with this Q:

Solve the Eqn 2cos2x+cosx-1=0, where 0<=x<=360 (degrees)

*As I am not good with Addition Formulae, so can someone help me get it in a form for me to solve.

View Post

Yeah, cos2x would be expanded using the double angle formulae into 2 cos²x - 1, so for 2cos2x, you'd get 2(2 cos²x - 1).

When you simplify, you get a quadratic of the form ax² + bx +c=0:

4cos² x + cos x -3=0

Let cos x = y

4y² + y - 3 =0

(4y-3)(y+1)=0

therefore.gif you get:

(4cos x - 3)(cos x + 1) = 0

I'm sure you can work out the answers from that. wink.gif

#8 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

Thanks dude.

#9 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:13 PM

Anyone know how to do this:

Theres a triangle, "<|" And the bottom side is 4cm. And the 2 sloped sides are 3cm. The top point has an angle X. I halved it so it'd be X/2 angle and got Sin=2/3, but not an exact value so anyone got any idea?

*As the Q is:
Find the exact value of sinX.

#10 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

Cosine rule?

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bcCosA

Where a, b and c are the three sides, and A is the angle opposite side A. So rearrange for A and plug in a,b,c and get your value. (In this case obviously you would have x and X as a and A.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users