Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Your Thoughts on the 2004 exam! - HSN forum - Page 2

Your Thoughts on the 2004 exam!

36 replies to this topic

#21 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (The Decline @ May 31 2004, 06:28 PM)

Multimedia wasn't easy, I didn't bring the paper home but I remember being stuck on part © of the very last questions (picked the second of the two choices). Did you pick that one? I am hoping frequency modulation and wavetable synthesis will count for saying what part of the sound card can help in editing. I have a feeling they won't, but I couldn't think of anything else.

Ah you did question 35 (the second one), the one I steered well clear of. Didn't fancy dropping 4 marks on the last question (i.e. the one you found tough) when I thought I could get pretty close to 10 on question 34. I reckon the only part of © I coulda got was part (i). How did you find the compulsory Multimedia questions?

Laura xxx

user posted image

#22 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:49 PM

Well, well well, look what the SQA scraped up.

I think I got an A, but I found this exam awkward to say the least. I found Section One quite hard, and I was hoping the SQA (in their all mighty) would least have the dignity to make Section 2 a little easier.

The questions which I think were awkward in section one:

1b, 2a, 6a, 7b,

I'm going to type up the solutions to section one and section two, I've had my teacher check over my answers (I wrote most of my answers on the question paper so my teacher could check them)

#23 aaa

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:57 PM

hey porsch!
i got 65% for my course work ,wat % do i then need to get an A.?? lets say the passing mark this is for an A is 70..
unsure.gif

#24 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:06 PM

Well I thought the exam was very straightforward.
A few questions that I probably wrote vague for.
I seen someone asking if anyone done AI, I did, and I found the AI section pretty favourable! smile.gif
(open a new post I would suggest to discuss specifics)

Overall I am really pleased! laugh.gif
Mark

#25 porsch1909

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (aaa @ May 31 2004, 06:57 PM)
hey porsch!
i got 65% for my course work ,wat % do i then need to get an A.?? lets say the passing mark this is for an A is 70..
unsure.gif

since you got under 70% for the coursework then you need more than 70% to get an A!!!! i think about 72% should work out at 70 for an A i think.

lets see: -

suppose the whole thing is out of 100 (its not i dont think)

30% is coursework that is 30 marks

you have 65% of those 30 = 19.5

so you have 19.5/100 so far

70% of 100 = 70 of course

70-19.5 = 50.5

50.5/70 *100 = 72%

i need 40/70 = 57%

see how working hard at coursework pays off people, next year if you take AH computing then coursework is 50%!!!

the number that i have quoted the exam out of are wrong but it will work for any number i think you will find. all i know is that the exam is 70% of the course and the coursework is 30%

#26 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:47 PM

To work out your percentage for an A:

Get your course mark, and divide it by 100, .e.g say you got 25 = 0.25

Then do 130 (this is the exam + course work) x 0.25 = 32.5 (you round down) = 32

Now subtract 32 from 100 (what the exam is out of) = 100-32 = 68% for an A (or 68 out of 100)

Say you got 18 for your course work, 18/100 = 0.18

130 x 0.18 = 23.4 = 23.

Percent for an A = 100 - 23 = 77%

Say you got 30for your course work = 0.3

130 x 0.3 = 39

100-39 = 61% for an A.

#27 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (fearfactor47 @ May 31 2004, 05:49 PM)
Well, well well, look what the SQA scraped up.

I think I got an A, but I found this exam awkward to say the least. I found Section One quite hard, and I was hoping the SQA (in their all mighty) would least have the dignity to make Section 2 a little easier.

I think I also got an A. I hope. I wrote so much and I have to agree with you about the difficulty. I dont think the paper was difficult but the wording of certain questions and the logic of twisting stuff like a benefit of hypertext over hypermedia when in the past it has always been the other way round! I got that mark anyway. I cant say section 1 was hard at all but yes there were a few mediumly worngly worded questions which were a bit of taking a new twist on things. Section 2 was hard though because of its detail and stuff. Took ages to do!

Overall the exam I have to say was ok.

Still two more to go though!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#28 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

i am trying to see where people are finding section 1 hard and i can't find it ( except 1b) it was really easy and section was easy as well. Ok there was a lot of algorithms but thats not bad its just a representation of a logical plan of attack for a problem. I did networking which was easy so i can't comment on AI or multimedia section which i hear some found hard

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#29 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

hmm, i might just about get an A

I got 27/30 in my coursework

Section 1 was ok for me except 2a)

#30 hssc11045

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:58 PM

Yeh a cant complain... a was feeling ill going into the exam but it was pretty straightforward.....answered all the questions and finished the book ohmy.gif although a reakon a was a bit pushed 4 time....a relaxed 2 much and still had a complete question 2 do with only 15 mins left....thankfully it was AI and it was basic questions on voice recognition and bread firth a depth first searches..................the only slightly difficult part of AI was designing a rule to represent a cannibal but even at that most of the exam I think went fairly well....as long as ave explained things like i intended to i think i shud do pretty well

#31 nijn

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:12 AM

I was quite pleased with it, however I am really not sure how well I did. An A would be awesome, but I'll settle for a B cool.gif
Gotta love the networking section though laugh.gif

#32 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:42 AM

Did any one do Q26 in the networking section?
If you did, in partc (d) of the question, how long did u write the 5.5MB file would take?

`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#33 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

Did any one do Q26 in the networking section?

0.44 seconds for the file, as 5.5Megabytes = 44 mega bits. Ethernet is 100Mbits persecond, so file takes 44 / 100 = .44 seconds.

Reasons for performance degradation: packet overheads, collisions, signal degradataion, etc...
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#34 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:04 AM

oh yes.
Thats wat i got, i wasnt sure it was going 2 be that fast cuz its 5.5Mb but thats wat the calculation came to.
Thanks for the quick reply werlop
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#35 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:08 AM

no problem tongue.gif
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#36 The Decline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ May 31 2004, 09:27 PM)
i am trying to see where people are finding section 1 hard and i can't find it ( except 1b) it was really easy and section was easy as well. Ok there was a lot of algorithms but thats not bad its just a representation of a logical plan of attack for a problem. I did networking which was easy so i can't comment on AI or multimedia section which i hear some found hard

Section 1 contains knowledge and understanding type questions. Basically, if something's asked that you haven't revised, there's always a chance you won't get it. There were a few questions in section 1 that I couldn't get due to lack of revision (sorry, I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the course) so I found it difficult. I agree that it doesn't include any "hard" questions as such, but it can ask for things you might have forgotten and the computing course is quite extensive, so it's easy to lose marks and can pose difficulty for some.

#37 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:29 PM

It was ok. I finished with a good 45 to check over answers. Section 1 was straightforward, section 2 was a little trickier, but that's expected; and the AI unit was quite easy. I was expecting a far more difficult exam, but it was ok. Hopefully I'll get an A, since I think I did really well in section one, and AI, and alright in section two. I also got 20/20 for the coursework (they send you're best two pieces; I got 28/30 out of the three).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users