Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Electronic Configuration - HSN forum

Electronic Configuration

13 replies to this topic

#1 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

Hey, I know I'm not at school doing chemistry at AH, but I figured you might know a bit about electron configuration. So here's the problem. I'm not sure what to do for ions.

Here's the question:

3. Give the electronic configuration of:

a) Ca2+

c) O2-

Please help with this, don't have to give the answer, but an example answer like for say...Mg2+ might be of help. Thanks. smile.gif

p.s. it's stuff like 1S22s2 and whatever....

#2 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:02 PM

Ca is 1s22s22p63s23p64s2
but we lose 2 electrons in changing to a 2+ ion so the 4s2 becomes empty changing it to

Ca 2+ is then 1s22s22p63s23p6

O is 1s22s22p4
but we gain 2 electrons so that 2p shell gets an extra 2 in it to become

O2- is then 1s22s22p6
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

Well Mg2+ would have lost 2 electrons from the outermost shell, so I take it would be:

1s power2.gif 2s power2.gif 2p power6.gif

Rem the for shell n = 1 you have orbital s with a maximum of 2 electrons.

n = 2, shell 2s with max 2 electrons and 2p with max 6 electrons (technically 2px, 2py, and 2pz each with 2 so total equals 6.)

n = 3 repeats n = 2 with the additional 3d orbital.

Just remember 4s is preferentially occupied before 3d (roughly same energy levels.)

I know thats pretty vague but I hope it helps. Any good textbook should sort it out.. smile.gif

#4 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

oh see while we are on this topic can you help me with this question:

What is the maximum number of electrons that can be accommodated in a d subshell?

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

D subshell max is 10 electrons, cause shell n = 3 has max of 18 electrons in all configured in  3s^2 3p^6 3d^{10}

#6 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

so n=1 has max of 2 n=2 has max of....8? and n=3 has max of 18. so wot about n=4?? how many n values can you get?

#7 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

Keep going...this is helping me with my uni work. biggrin.gif

#8 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

how can you be doing the same stuff as me but you're not in my classes?

#9 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:41 PM

wedge have you done anything on angular functions yet?

#10 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:32 AM

I'm not too sure about n = 4... I THINK it's 32.. but I dno if you'd really have to know how to write configurations for elements that far down.

#11 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Katrina @ Nov 1 2005, 10:41 PM)
wedge have you done anything on angular functions yet?

View Post

Angular function...hmm...lemme think, is that to do with quantum numbers? You know...like n, l, m and s. I did that a few weeks ago and they were explaining how those functions were used in Schroedinger's equation and stuff like that.

#12 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

yes and you draw little circles on graphs, anyway do you know what the angular functions tell you about electron density?

#13 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(Katrina @ Nov 2 2005, 06:10 PM)
yes and you draw little circles on graphs, anyway do you know what the angular functions tell you about electron density?

View Post

I'm not sure, they haven't told us anything about electron density. sad.gif

#14 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:56 PM

could someone please help me with these questions?

20. Which of the following statements is INCORRECT?
(a) the orbital hybridisation of C in CH4 is sp2
(b) the orbital hybridisation of C in C6H6 is sp2
© the orbital hybridisation of C in C2H6 is sp3
(d) the orbital hybridisation of C in C2H4 is sp2
(e) the orbital hybridisation of C in C2H2 is sp

21. sp hybrid orbitals are formed in
(a) BeF2
(b) BCl3
© CCl4
(d) C2H6
(e) C2H4

1 user(s) are reading this topic