Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Work & Uni - HSN forum - Page 2

Work & Uni

26 replies to this topic

#21 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Oct 18 2005, 04:58 PM)
The whole point of making decisions by yourself is to learn from your mistakes and learn to be more independent, which is part of what uni is about.

Totally.

By the time you get to uni you should expect to be treated like an adult. Personally, I find the idea of having all those rules and regulations slightly patronising.

But then, if people are okay with it, and going to Cambridge is their dream, then who am I to complain?

But I wouldn't play along with it, that's for sure.
@

#22 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Oct 18 2005, 05:58 PM)
Werlop, what do you mean by supervisions? Do people actually make sure that you're studying?

View Post

A supervision is 1 one 1 or 1 on 2 small group teaching where you sit and discuss the course, problems and examples with someone important within the particular department in the university. They may or may not be a fellow of your particular college. You get set work to do for supervisions and usually some essays to write for them too.

You usually get 1 or 2 a week per core subject, so for example I have supervisions in anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, medical sociology and medical statistics/epidemiology.

They are generally pretty useful because they make you think about the course in a different way, they are very interactive and pretty much follow the same format as a Cambridge interview. One of the main reasons they interview people here is to see if they are suited to the supervision system.

They generally occur in the evening after dinner.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#23 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

so what about the people who dont live on campus then

the elite universities seem very labourous *shocked expression*

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#24 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:29 PM

Are you not forced to live on campus for the 1st year??
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#25 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

Throughout your time here you have to live within 3 miles of one of the churches near the centre for NPR (normal period of residence). Most people live withing the particular college of the university of which they are a member - there really would be very little advantage to trying to find your own place. Colleges do own properties outside of their own main site but most first years live within the main college buildings.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#26 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:28 PM

I worked in a shoe shop at the weekends in first and second year at uni, it was ok but i got really fed up with the rubbish money. Now I'm in third year I have way too much work to do to be wasting my weekends while trying to still fit in a social life of some sort. I am now working as a tutor for 3 hours a week and make more than I did in a whole weekend at OSC!
Its ok to work when your in first year I think, but as you get further on in uni it obviously gets harder, need to be careful not to burn the candle at both ends!

#27 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Oct 16 2005, 05:57 PM)
Heey just wonderin all yoo people who are at uni how many hours do you work if you work at all?

Well, when I was at RGU last year (decided that the course wasn't for me and left August 2005.....now applying for Nursing at Bell.....I must have a screw loose or something and have no hope in hell in getting in since both my parents study there but that is a different story) I wasn't working at all, and it felt like someone had vut my throat or something.

Anyways, as I am back home now and applying for Nursing, it says in the notes to candidates that you shoudl consider carefully about taking a job on. Well, I'm only planning to be working the weekends in my lovely little garage and *fingers crossed* Bank-Aide* during the holidays

*Bank-Aide send staff on their books into wards that are short staffed within NHS Lanarkshire...I think blink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users