Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced higher history essays! - HSN forum

Advanced higher history essays!

5 replies to this topic

#1 minted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

Hi, i'm sitting AH history and just got my first essay back, n i got a C, but my teacher said that if i structured it to a higher level and analysed my points better I would get an A for it. Whats the basic outline for each essay??!?!?!? I'm doing the house divided btw.

Cheers

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

Can/will you post your essay here? It would be easier for people to analyse and give a critique that way.
It may just be that you need more practice writing essays. Try to back up your points with publications from other authors. You should read a number of relative texts. You want to cut down narrative to a minimum, especially in your introductions and conclusions. Don't bring up new points in the conclusion - if you feel something needs to be mentioned, do it in the main body of the text. Probably most important of all: make sure you answer the question!
smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:54 PM

treat the examiner like a complete idiot, mention evrything you know about your points, even like the most simple mundane facts

how do you like this question

To what extent is there a need to differentiate between the physicla and psychological demands made on the Germa people by the Versailles peace Treaty ?
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#4 minted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:45 PM

Cheers for the advice, will re-write my previous essay and see if I do get an A. Sadly, that question you asked I cannot answer as at my school we study The house divided USA 1860-1865 and not anything about Versailles.

#5 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:46 PM

The following section is predominantly narrative, I think you should put in some more analysis of specific points in this section, relating to the title question:

Henry Clay, a southern Whig, proposed an Omnibus bill in January 1850 and it stated that California is to be admitted to the Union as a ‘free state’, Utah and Mexico were to organised as territories (without mentioning slavery), slave trading but not slavery was to be prohibited in The District of Columbia...He meant that both sides were preparing for war but signed a cease fire, but with weapons already prepared for a similar situation to occur again.

Analysis of points is what the markers give you marks for, rather than a narrative of historical facts.

I think some more thoughts from other historians would be good, just to show how your thoughts relate/don't relate to theirs.

It might be argued that you are trying to cover too much in the essay. Maybe if you concentrated on less issues, but "zoomed in" on those you are tackling, you would be sure to have no "loose ends" in areas that you've not had time/space to cover in more depth.

I know very little about the issues at hand for this particular essay question, so my thoughts are of limited value.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#6 supernova

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

Oh my god! We haven't written any essays for Advanced Higher History! Not even for Homework! In fact, we haven't even had any homework! I think she just thinks we should know how to write essays, cos she hasn't gone over any in class!!

Argh! Got the second half of my prelim coming up and I have no idea how to write essays!

Anyone doing Georgians and Jacobites???!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users