Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Programming languages taught in school - HSN forum

Programming languages taught in school

18 replies to this topic

#1 NOFX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 06:14 PM

Please list your school name and what language you are taught for the software development part of the course.

I'm from hunter higher and we're taught Visual Basic. It's easy to understand, but i much prefer Java, which is more complex but can achieve far greater things. Visual Basic comes with an excellent editor which allows you to make forms, but other languages do not give you this ability. I see this as a problem because students will get put off by harder looking syntax's etc.

#2 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:04 PM

I use COMAL at my school. Fairly easy enough language to code in. :)
Mark

#3 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:03 PM

I use Visual Basic, i think that is easier to do programming with.
:P
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#4 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:21 PM

I'm from Turnbull High, and we use True Basic Silver - http://www.truebasic.com/

I took H Comp last year, and hated it, ended up with a B.
user posted image
user posted image

#5 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:02 PM

High School of Dundee - we do Visual Basic. But apparently the course is moving over to Java next year.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#6 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 18 March 2004 - 03:53 PM

We use Comal. Bleugh, I detested programming.
@

#7 Harry Barton

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:47 PM

Monifieth high School uses COMAL
very poor

#8 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:49 PM

Yeh most schools use Comal, as i said i used VB, which i tht was pretty easy.
I found the Software Section easier than the Section 1 of the course.
:D
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 11:47 AM

I'm from Holy Cross and we learn Visual Basic, it is a really easy language to use but I would prefer a language which is capable of produce more sophisticated programs. We were told that most schools use Visual Basic.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#10 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:07 AM

Discogirl17, on Apr 10 2004, 11:47 AM, said:

I'm from Holy Cross and we learn Visual Basic, it is a really easy language to use but I would prefer a language which is capable of produce more sophisticated programs. We were told that most schools use Visual Basic.
A fair point - But remember, it's only higher computing. Visual Basic makes that A easier to obtain.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#11 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

I've been doing AH Computing this year, and decided to use Visual Basic to implement a part of my project.

I found it really good; the syntax is simple to pick up, it has a good IDE, and lots of nice controls to play with :)

I also think it is possible to build some pretty sophisticated applications using VB/VBA, as Microsoft claim you can access 100% of Office functionality through its object model. VB is often described as a 'glue' language, because you can use it in so many contexts (eg ASP web servers, Windows .exe files, Office macros, etc).

For the purposes of the Higher course, VB is about right. If you want to try something more sophisticated, check out this article, which has examples of a simple "Hello World" program in Visual Basic and C. :D

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the advice George and yes, you are right for the purposes of high school Visual Basic is sophisticated enough. Unfortunately my school has an early version not to be updated until the computer network is at the end of this year.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#13 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 07:23 PM

Hey!

My school uses COMAL. Some of the loops and parameter passing can be a b*tch but it's fairly easy to use...ater you've screamed at the computer to reveal where it's hiding your supposed error.

Lol, u know I love it really! tongue.gif

Laura xxx

#14 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:28 PM

my school uses comal which i have at home and its really good for teaching people programming and the basic concepts but in todays world it out of touch

Now, visual basic or any Mac version is great because its object-orientated which is what everyone is using and with its huge collection of objects it makes complex programs simplier and more accessable. I knwo i have made the more complex programs myself and you'd be surprised how simple concepts and a good logical minds can get great results

School should have or be getting these new visual languages even though it makes learning from scrach a lot harder and isn't much like Java used in university but you got to start somewhere

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#15 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:55 PM

Hey, my school - Bearsden Academy - uses true basic gold, but I used php + mySQL for programming in standard grade + higher.

The syntax of php is far closes to C and C++ which are "real" languages. Also all VB versions before .NET are very limited in my opinion. I seriously doubt whether any school is going to teach .NET, I can just see all the old maths teachers turned computing teachers trying to learn object oriented concepts such as encapsulation.

I think teaching ASP would be good for schools as it is based on VB or C# depending on the version.

For my own use PHP / MySQL / C# / C++ are the only things i'll go near.

I see this site is written in php, if you need any help webmasters, i'm very able and willing.

</end of nerdiness>
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#16 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:02 PM

Visual basic gets taught in my school.

Did you know that the programming section of the Higher will not be an option next year, apparently something like 2% of computing teachers were comfortable teaching it dry.gif , mine was one of them lol

#17 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (equin0x @ May 24 2004, 03:02 PM)
Did you know that the programming section of the Higher will not be an option next year, apparently something like 2% of computing teachers were comfortable teaching it dry.gif , mine was one of them lol

Do you mean programming as in the optional choice for Section III of the exam?

Laura xxx

#18 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:44 PM

section 2, the choice of Ai, multimedia, networking, programming

#19 Kenny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:29 PM

At Jordanhill we use VB. I've been using it for years so the stuff we had to do at school was extremely easy for me. There are a couple of us like that in the class and so we end up finishing in a few periods and adding loads of pointless extras using complicated code our teacher doesn't understand biggrin.gif. VB is great, as it can do just about anything if you know how. Only problem being it's not very good to use on lots of PCs, cause chances are they don't have all the runtime objects needed.

For the optional unit we did Networking, which is pretty easy and more useful than the other two. Only need to learn a few facts and the rest is common sense really.

Well, I'm looking forward to Monday, hope you all do well biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users