Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
New Homework and Revision Board - HSN forum - Page 4

New Homework and Revision Board

136 replies to this topic

#61 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(tweetypie2005 @ Jan 12 2005, 10:24 AM)
I'm crashing HBM this year and have been doing fine until now. I have passed all my NABS well and am understanding the course. However I have been given a case study and have just looked at the past paper and am worried like hell. Cannot do this any help on how to do the case studies - prelim is in 2 weeks. Thank you soooo much.

View Post

Just really common-sense approaches to tackling the case study will help.

Put everything out your mind until you've finished reading it. Then think about the kind of issues that it discussed. e.g. "Mr Jackson has been worried that his pig farm supplies business is declining, after Mr Potter opened his newer, more mechanical factory next door." - What do you think may be some issues, just looking at that single sentence? Introduction/Growth/Maturity/Saturation/Decline model; competitors; market trends; effect of technology; health and safety?

Really the only way to think about it is dumping every bit of theory you know, just before you begin to read the case study, then picking it back up as soon as you've finished it.

I'm pretty sure that if someone said to you "Write about stakeholders, or the decision-making process, or the effect of marketing", you'd be able to throw down tons of information on tons of pages. However, the problem is that the exam is not looking for this - they're wanting to find out specific information. Just look through the case study, think about what they're trying to get from you, then look at the questions and see if it all matches up. A really good thing to have is a highlighter, and if i've said it once i'll say it 1000 times - don't be afraid to tear the paper apart so that the questions sit side-by-side your answers, or so that you can look at the question while writing your answer etc. It's your paper; the invigi's can't take it away from you until you've finished.

Hope this helps, but seriously - don't worry - there's still plenty of time before the 3rd of June.
user posted image
user posted image

#62 tweetypie2005

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:26 PM

thank you so much!!

#63 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:46 PM

Can anyone give me the topics that were tested in the exam?

#64 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:40 PM

We have been directed towards some sections of the course by our class teacher for our prelim on Monday (24/1/05) and one of those sections was the groupings that organisations use (fuctional etc etc etc).

I am totaly lost on this section so any help would be excellent.

Thanks in advance
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#65 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:56 PM

Have you tried looking at the notes on HSN (written by myself and edited by a teacher)? Find them in 'Downloads'. If still stuck, PM me, but have a go first.
user posted image
user posted image

#66 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:17 PM

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Robert Gordon University

------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

#67 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:36 PM

well, my school doesn't seem to be giving any revision for the prelim..still to see what exam questions are like..oh dear.

#68 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

What about buying the Past Papers, they are very helpful. Also you prelim could be based on one of them wink.gif

Also there is a leckie and leckie Business Management book out which is very useful.

#69 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:55 PM

I paid for both books around..October, still waiting on the school giving me them..

#70 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:36 PM

What school are you at?

Sounds pretty bad department.

#71 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

I best not say incase they somehow read this. And yes, I'm not fond of the business management department at all. Worst department I've dealt with.

#72 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:19 PM

Mines isnt any better either. AH and Ive spent most of the year "on the internet" printing everything off google. Grrr"

#73 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

Ok if you havent got notes the best advice is use the hsn ones. If you havent got past papers best advice is find someone older who has studied Business or who has bought them outwith the school department and ask if you could photcopy one of theirs, if they dont want to give you them ask if they will take them to the office and get a photcopy made and then bring the copy to you.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#74 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:52 PM

Well the Prelim was Yesterday. The notes helped loads, but I ran out of time (just left the questions I didn't know and went on, but ran out of time to go back to them), but that is probably just technique.

Will see what the results come back as!
Robert Gordon University

------

#75 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:08 PM

Will try and dig out my old paper; if I don't get back to you by Saturday I don't have it any more.

>>> Can anyone else help Kevin out?
user posted image
user posted image

#76 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

Haha (Kevin is the name of one of my Everton greats :-P). Its actually alright now, I got a copy of the paper. Thought the Prelim was based on that but its on another one.

#77 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:00 PM

For anyone doing the Advanced Higher:

We were given a copy of "Management Theory and Practice" by G.A. Cole, by our department. This is a university-level text, but it was really helpful for things like the management theorists and so on.

Another book which was useful was "Business Studies" by Hall, Jones and Raffo. This is more of an A-Level/Higher book, but it has some of the key issues in some of The Management Context sections of the course.

Hope this helps

JB
user posted image
user posted image

#78 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

Think your teacher could be talking rubbish.

As far as I know (and I know!), Job Descriptions are created. Person Specifications are also created. The 'descriptions' and 'specifications' parts are not interchangeable.

Hope this helps

JB
user posted image
user posted image

#79 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for agreeing with me bizwiz. I'm holding up alright with moderating business then?
Ok as the English mod I shall explain the difference.

Description- General information as to how the applicant should be, a lot of information, not very precise (e.g in a job description often says "any other duties"-this is vague)
Specification- More precise (e.g in person specification- person should be confident, preferrably would be ... etc)

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#80 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jan 28 2005, 05:00 PM)
Thanks for agreeing with me bizwiz. I'm holding up alright  with moderating business then?
Ok as the English mod I shall explain the difference.

Description- General information as to how the applicant should be, a lot of information, not very precise (e.g in a job description often says "any other duties"-this is vague)
Specification- More precise (e.g in person specification- person should be confident, preferrably would be ... etc)

View Post

Exactly right.

Think of the words: description - basically 'describe what the applicant should be like'; specification - which standards need to be met in order to be successful.

Before I went for my interview at Direct Line I was given a job description and person specification. The job description said things like "will be able to answer queries from customers and respond to them, providing excellent customer service". The person specification said "knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, good keyboard skills, good problem-solving skills, confidence, experience of being in a customer-service-oriented environment..." and so on.

Hope this helps

JB
user posted image
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users