Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Projects - not got a clue - HSN forum

Projects - not got a clue

28 replies to this topic

#1 lilac_turtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

Hey everyone, I'm teaching myself Computing this year so I need some project ideas! I have very very little programming skills (only really what you do in higher) so I need something easyish... can't think of anything that is doable without being too simple for AH.

Help me!

#2 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

You could do a website, the guy that did AH last year in my school did a school website.

But for a website to be suitable you would have to use Javascript, PERL, PHP, etc and probably utilise a database of some sort.

Thats basicly my backup project if i donmt learn enough C++ to be able to create a Solataire game with a decent HCI within the next two months.

#3 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:01 PM

I made a database system that allowed teachers to store a pupils progress through higher, adv/ higher etc...

It wasn't just a straight database though, had to do 3rd form normalisation.

Got 72%, not bad eh?

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

was someone last year did a tuckshop program in VB

i thought that was quite easy all you needed to do was read up on manipulating a database in VB (which is very easy with the access data control, which might be cheating)

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

You could make (which I think is a popular project choice), an interactive tutorial which acts as a teaching aid for a specific area.

For example : a resource which could explain an area of physics, maths or even computing.

I don't really know the in's and out's of what would be involved but I don't think it would be too difficult.

http://www.kelso.scotborders.sch.uk/depart.../adv_higher.htm
(This site has some examples of old projects for you too look at!)
Mark

#6 lilac_turtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(sparky @ Oct 1 2005, 08:54 PM)
You could make (which I think is a popular project choice), an interactive tutorial which acts as a teaching aid for a specific area.

For example : a resource which could explain an area of physics, maths or even computing.

I don't really know the in's and out's of what would be involved but I don't think it would be too difficult.

http://www.kelso.scotborders.sch.uk/depart.../adv_higher.htm
(This site has some examples of old projects for you too look at!)

View Post

Ah ha! I am liking that idea. I could make one for French. smile.gif Thanks!

#7 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:56 PM

im making a german game, going to flog it to Languages department when done , well worth it btw lilac
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#8 lilac_turtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

Right, I'm going to make a sort of computerised version of the flash cards the French department use to teach vocab, with a sort of hangman type way of guessing the word (does that make sense?) and a game of pairs.

So ok, now I know what I'm going to do, any idea what language to do it with?! The school computers only have Visual Basic.. would that be doable? Or would Flash be a better idea? Or should I get something else? Thanks!

#9 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

I'd recommend VB smile.gif

Dave knows VB, and I think I can just about recall some of it, so you'd get some help here biggrin.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#10 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:16 PM

visual basic is much easier than flash(least for me) but donesnt look as pretty and in flash you can do much more but its up to the individual
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#11 DavidC2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

You could use flash to create a driving theory test prgram that you have to log into and that would save your scores. it would be pretty easy.

#12 Dunkyp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:11 PM

I'm thinking of taking two of the revised topics and combining them. I'm going to make the who wants to be a millionaire gamein vb and also possibly add an element of an eliza type program i.e the program will ask "Is that your final answer" and the user will give back feedback to which the prgram resopnds apropriatly

#13 lilac_turtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(dehny @ Oct 18 2005, 04:16 PM)
visual basic is much easier than flash(least for me) but donesnt look as pretty and in flash you can do much more but its up to the individual

View Post

yeah, I'm gonna do it in flash, I've decided. I like things to be pretty rolleyes.gif

#14 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:15 PM

also i could help people with java

*laughs at himself*

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#15 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

me too! laugh.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#16 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:17 PM

Hmm, i'm gonna have to make a start on this very soon ph34r.gif

#17 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

try a file server and client (just on one computer, your school wont let you do over a network!) in java, its quite advanced and you can write loads in the report for it, just stick to text files, as its a bit tricky to make up the file read method, i only know it for text files, and that took a while to figure out. Also link it to a system of access keys. You also need to provide exception handlers in it, to account for silly inputs. Just use the console, or if you really want to be fancy use the Java AWT for defining GUI's. Its a uni practical, at the end of a first year comp sci course at St Andrews. It assumes you havent programmed in any languages.

#18 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:41 PM

w00t!

I started mines today

Noughts and Crosses biggrin.gif

GUI and Exit button completed

#19 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:49 PM

What language are you using? Are you doing the game with a 2-D array?

#20 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hey Gary Mckay our school teachers say that they have 3-D arrays on the school network is this possible

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users