Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
I've been thinking... - HSN forum

I've been thinking...

4 replies to this topic

#1 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:18 PM

Here's one that's bugging me...

According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, if you launch a massive object and a relatively insignificant object into space - or any environment without friction/air resistance - then theoretically they should attract each other, with a resultant force (G.m1.m2/r^2). Isn't that a violation of the laws of conservation of energy, as you have no input force, but you still have a resultant. Imagine the implications in space... a super efficient system?

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

there is no violation of conservation of energy in the same way a magnet doesnt break the laws on conservation

space is a efficient system because there is no restoring force like gravity, air resistance or similar

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:19 PM

Well it is indirectly at a stretch, because you're not having any input, but you're still getting output. I see what you mean with the magnet... hmmmmm. Why not outsource to outerspace instead of india. rolleyes.gif

#4 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

This might not be related but the two objects that are next to each other have a negative potential energy. In "A Brief History of Time" Steven Hawkings suggested that the overall amount of energy in the universe is 0 as it would take energy to pull matter away from its self.

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:58 PM

Yeah.. the whole massless charge paradox or something like that I think... fascinating lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users