Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Is 4 Advanced Highers too much? - HSN forum

Is 4 Advanced Highers too much?

24 replies to this topic

#1 insanitypersonified

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

Is anyone doing 4 Advanced Highers?

My Guidance Teacher says it's too much but, then again, she can't even my spell let alone understand my position.

I am doing:

AH English
AH Modern Studies
AH History
AH Business Management.

I did them all at Higher and got A and was wondering if anyone has done the same and had experiences; positive or negative.

#2 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

AH Mod Studies and Business Management and HISTORY??? how much do u write on a normal nite?? 400pages worth of work???

edit: jese!! forgot,.. AND english essays??????? unsure.gif

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

erm well its difficult to say really i did 2 advanced highers and i wouldnt say i had too much work to do

from what i remember my friends saying english requires a lot of homework and essay writing and reading books and stuff

mod studies and business i think will be basically like higher only the work will obviously be harder and there may be less resources which will make life a little harder

AH history i remember my teacher talking about but i forget now

i think you may as well do it i mean wot can you possibily lose form trying

btw why do you want to do all these AH's are you thinking of a English uni by any chance

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 insanitypersonified

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:47 PM

May I start by saying that I'm not ashamed to admit my gender but must have made a mistake when completing my registration . . . should probably sort that. I am in fact male and a Rangers fan (which is actually one of the most emasculating experiences ever).

I am thinking about going to Caimbridge to do law because I want to go into politics and a degree from Oxbridge is half the battle.

However, I also really like the subjects I'm doing but am becoming increasingly unnerved by people saying I'm not up to it.

Thanks for the comments, the advice is very much appreciated.

#5 insanitypersonified

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

And yes, learning to spell it right would be a start!

#6 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

cant see why you couldnt, incidently which topic you doing for history this year?
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#7 insanitypersonified

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

USA between 1850 and 1865: A House Divided. It's really interesting.

#8 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

fair enough, im doing Germany: Versailles to outbreak of ww2
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:12 PM

now if i was u with straight A's and wantin gto go to oxbridge and was being told its OTT i think i would just go for it all 4 AH's

the only risk you run is doing 4 and getting lower grades than if you did less but i say go for it!!!!!! tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:16 PM

I took 3... Maths, Physics and Biology... and Higher Drama. So you're not alone. I applied to Oxford... heck, if you plan on getting A's anyone should. However it's too late to apply now.

#11 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

I had to argue with my guidance teacher to let me do more than 2 Advanced Highers. She told me they were pointless, I had to argue with her to let her undertand that the minimum offer that I would get (if I got an offer) at Cambridge was AAA@ AH.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#12 Punkie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Music, psychology, hugs... Guitars... stuff... :)

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Aww man, This makes me feel silly. I only passed 2 highers last year, and this year i'm struggling with 1 AH!!

Oh well, never mind.

*cheers for the smart people*

xx

#13 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

AH physics is easy.

AH business is very inadvisable. DO NOT DO IT!
It is a fair amount of work. It is the heaviest subject for me this year out of my 4 subjects, but it wouldn't be out of them. However, the actual exam is impossible. I got an A last year for higher. I seriously advise you take it and run. I'll be happy with a C, and suprised at a B. I haven't heard stories of people fiinishing the exam before. It is massive. The format is exactly the same as higher business exam. BUT, you must write at least twice as much for the same amount of marks (they still won't allow bullet points... WTF!!!). Also, the case study is EIGHT pages long. Think about that. Instead of refering to something from a few pages, you must wade through a sea of useless info to get anything. You don't have the time to do that...
Finally, the questions are sometimes subjective, and you must hope that the answers have the same thinking as you, even if the answers SHOULD be subjective to you. And it can be hard to know what they want you to talk about, especially when it comes to teams. There are a million very similar things to talk about, and it's so hard to know which one they want to know about.
Have I scared you off it yet?

........................ RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#14 tiggerish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

I started out with AH English, History, Biology and Chemistry.

It was not fun, and I was cracking up by October (TWO dissertations, TWO research projects).

I got into Oxford Law with three AH. Its unnecessary to put yourself under the extra strain: come across well at interview and do well on the LNAT and you'll be fine.

#15 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

I know someone in first year of Law at Oxford and he was doing 3 AH and a Higher (Chemistry) but dropped the Higher to concentrate on the AHs, presumably because he knew Oxford wouldn't particularly care about it.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#16 Peachy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

I started doing 4 AH's. i did maths, physics, biology and chemistry. i ended up droping maths in january because it was just too much, and i had also missed some of maths at the start of the year and never really caught up. advanced highers are like 1st and 2nd year uni. and at uni, u normally only do one subject, so attempting 4 was just madness. definitly not advisable.

#17 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

Depends what uni you go to. For most courses at most Scottish universities you do at least three different courses each year, often in different subjects.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#18 Peachy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:31 PM

yeah, but thats still not as much as 4 advanced highers

#19 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Hmm!
bloody hell u lot are smart!
im doin ah eng and ah bio nxt yr (assuming i pass this yr lol) and im going to apply to LSE for Law. they said u only need 2 ah's, as they are more difficult than alevels which u need 3 of.. think ah bio mite be considered irrelevant tho, but no way in helllll am i doin ah history!
ah well, cali it is tongue.gif lol x

#20 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Fletcher @ May 19 2006, 02:31 PM) View Post

yeah, but thats still not as much as 4 advanced highers

It really depends on the specific university courses, the specific AHs, and what subjects the individual is more accustomed to, more comfortable with, or what they simply find easier. High grades aren't given out willy nilly for many university courses either. Comparing the number of subjects doesn't really get you anywhere. You can do up to five different subjects in the first year of some university degree programmes, and there is often a lot of emphasis on self study as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users