Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Easy question... - HSN forum

Easy question...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

This questions looks simple and I think I know how to do it. The only problem is I cant get the right answer. It's from Scholar. There could be a chance the answer is wrong. The question uses higher knowledge only.

A piano is being raised to the third floor of a building using a rope and pulley. The piano is m above the ground, moving upwards at m s -1 , when the rope snaps.
Calculate how much time (in s) elapses before the piano hits the ground.

Can someone do the question and see what they get.

Thanks in advance folks!

#2 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:31 PM

I think you left out the values...

#3 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:14 PM

Obviously cant copy and paste from Scholar then. Never mind.

#4 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:36 PM

If you give me the values I can help.

You basically need to use  \[
s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 
\]
as you know the initial velocity in the upwards (positive) direction, the acceleration due to gravity ( \[
9.8{\rm  ms}^{{\rm  - 1}} 
\]
), and the vertical displacement (s). The piano will continue upwards for a short period of time because of the acceleration due to gravity, and then accelerate downwards. ie there is a constant negative acceleration.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users