Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Software Development Qs - HSN forum

Software Development Qs

13 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:13 PM

1- (a) What is a module library?
(b) State 2 features which make modules portable.

2- (a) Explain what robust and fit for the purpose means.
(b) Describe 2 features of a structured listing.

3- Explain what is meant by the term "passed by value" in relation to paramters.

4- Use code of programming eviroment with which you are familiat to illustrate ONE example of a syntax error and ONE logic error.

*If you can help with some of the Qs, it'd be ok.

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

a module library is a compiled collection of procedure which a programmer can link to there project and use the procedures contained in the library

2 features that make them portable is that they are external to any program and they compiled so can be used on any computer

2a) robust means the program can handle problems like unexpected data and other run time errors and not crash

fit for purpose means the program meets the specification for the project

3) passed by value means in parameter passing that when the procedure calling the variable asks for it a copy of the variable is made and used by the procedure. This means the variable isnt passed back out to the main part of the program

4) syntax error in comal would be number1 == 4

one logic error would be

repeat

number1 = 1

until number1 = 5

logic error as would creat an infinite loop, not good!

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:49 PM

Forget i ever said anything, Daves is alot more detailed, and got there first!!!

#4 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

Thanx dave as usual also Nexus it's cool dude. As dave missed a Q so maybe you can help me with this one:
Describe 2 features of a structured listing.

#5 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:24 PM

sorry

structured listing has tabbing for procedures and functions and such like

also has the colour coding for key words

#6 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

^ What Dave said smile.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#7 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

Thanx dave, also no point saying sorry. As you did most of the Qs which is much appreciated.

#8 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:35 PM

My favourite answer for the Syntax error was

PRUNT "Enter a number"

So simple, and yet when our teacher read that out as a possible answer I found it hilarious! tongue.gif Maybe it was just me...
Mark

#9 gnulinux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Rocky @ Sep 15 2005, 03:13 PM)

2- (a) Explain what robust and fit for the purpose means.
    (b) Describe 2 features of a structured listing.

3- Explain what is meant by the term "passed by value" in relation to paramters.

4- Use code of programming eviroment with which you are familiat to illustrate ONE example of a syntax error and ONE logic error.

*If you can help with some of the Qs, it'd be ok.

View Post

#10 gnulinux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

A module library is a collection of pre-written procedures/functions which have been tested for correctness, reliability etc. These would be used to help create /modify other programs more quickly. The code in such libraries is generally high-level and so compilation is not involved.

Modules are portable if the code is high-level, and, if the procedures are closed and use parameter passing they are also easier to modify, so increasing their portability. High level code that conforms to some recognised standard for the language used also aids portability.

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:04 PM

are u sure they are not compiled and they are not portable because they are high level because high level code means nothing to a computer so would need to be interpreted.

i get the impression u see a module library as a file where u copy and paste procedures. Where it really is a file which to declare in the main part of ur project which library you will be calling to

a very good example of this is in JAVA but also VB uses this a lot when u wish to use parts of windows in your project

#12 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:19 AM

DLLs?

Yaar, they're already compiled to machine code.
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:19 AM

yes they are

however there is an important point here, for higher you seriously dont need to know that much detail on a module library

#14 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:15 PM

lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users