Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Keeping a beaker at constantly low temperature - HSN forum

Keeping a beaker at constantly low temperature

24 replies to this topic

#1 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:56 PM

I need to keep this beaker (which will contain a test tube which will be connected to other apperatus) at a constant temperature. I can use a water bath for high temps (well, above room temp anyway). However, I need one for low temps and I can't use a water bath or a fridge / freezer.

I am thinking of constantly running the beaker under a tap of cold water so that the temp stays the same.

(any more suggestions?) I am also thinking of putting in ice cubes but I know the temp will not be constant

#2 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:14 PM

Something like the apparatus for distillation would be good so you could have a constant flow of water, and it wouldn't be sitting and raise to room temperature.
The ice cubes would work but only really for a short experiment if its going to be any longer than a couple of minutes then the temperature would gradually raise.

#3 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

my experiment will last for 1 minute, so do you think ice cubes will be okay?

Edited by YIC, 06 September 2005 - 06:21 PM.

#4 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

it should be, if there is any change in temperature it will me incrediby small but to show that the temperature is constant you could put a thermometer in the ice. You could check with your teacher first though, if its not a test or something.

#5 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

is it possible to take an average temperature? (e.g. if it is at 3 degrees and moves up to 4 degrees, could I say I did the expt at 3.5 degrees?)

sorry for the questions

#6 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

probably not because they will want it to be very accurate. To minimise the change you could put the ice in cold water or you could bend the truth a little bit and say it stayed the same. But even if it does change it will be very small. And you could test it first and out ice in a beaker and measure the temperature at the beginning and then after a couple of minutes to see the change.

And I don't mind, its giving me something to do biggrin.gif

#7 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

do you think putting the ice cubes in the cold water would keep the temp at bay?

#8 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:37 PM

I think so because my chemistry teacher from last year always did that and she said it kept the temperature nearly competely constant even when we did quite long experiments. Putting salt in with the ice usually does somthing about it too but that melts the ice, lowering the temperature.

edit: so probably that isnt a good idea

i'm tempted to go through to the kitchen and try lol

Edited by dondon, 06 September 2005 - 06:37 PM.

#9 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

cool thanks then smile.gif Do you think I should still use my tap mecahnism thingy I mentioned at the start? (i.e. filling the beaker with cold water constantly, making it overflow)

that is the lasst question hopefully biggrin.gif

edit: I do realise the distillation thing you were saying, but that might be too complicated for me

Edited by YIC, 06 September 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#10 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

You could try with the ice first and not actually do the experiment but see if the temperature changes in any major way.
The tap idea is good though because the warm water would rise to the top and overflow.
Oh, and does the experiment give out or take in heat?, because that would affect the temperature of the ice, but it would be ok if you used the water because it would be constantly flowing.

#11 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:46 PM

the distillation thingy would be difficult to get working but just letting the water overflow out of some kind of container that the beaker/test tube is in would be just as good. Well i think so. smile.gif

#12 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Sep 6 2005, 07:44 PM)
You could try with the ice first and not actually do the experiment but see if the temperature changes in any major way.
The tap idea is good though because the warm water would rise to the top and overflow.
Oh, and does the experiment give out or take in heat?, because that would affect the temperature of the ice, but it would be ok if you used the water because it would be constantly flowing.

View Post

It is actually an experiment to do with hydrogen peroxide being broken down into oxygen and water. I don't think there is any temperature change

#13 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

I don't think there is any temerature change, i'm assumong its catalase you're using because when you use an enzyme usually there is no temperature change.

#14 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Sep 6 2005, 07:55 PM)
I don't think there is any temerature change, i'm assumong its catalase you're using because when you use an enzyme usually there is no temperature change.

View Post

yeh it is catalase...thanks a lot for the help thumbsup.gif

#15 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:48 PM

Dayumn. Atomic geek then donna are we? tongue.gif

#16 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members