Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Michael Moore - HSN forum

Michael Moore

75 replies to this topic

#1 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:14 PM

Dave, in what way does Moore brainwash people?

P.S. Feel free to contribute if your name isn't Dave.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#2 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:16 PM

Michael Moore does brainwash people. He makes people think Bush is a twat, he makes the american governemnt look stupid and he ridicules their policies.
We love him for it.

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:19 PM

awww i thought i was getting a thread to myself there

anyway

the use of humor and getting the film banned produces an audience such a film wouldnt get. This humor is used to disguise messages to the public on anti bush and such things

You will notice that not a mainstream politician in the western world will say anything positive about that man

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(Steven_Gerrard @ Sep 6 2005, 12:16 AM)
Michael Moore does brainwash people. He makes people think Bush is a twat, he makes the american governemnt look stupid and he ridicules their policies.
We love him for it.

View Post

wait a sec?? ur tellin me that thats all lies????

#5 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:22 PM

Dont we all influence each other? Dont newspapers, radio and tv do the same thing moore tries to do? i.e convey a particular message?(true tv and radio are meant to be neutral but they still do)
You can try to convey your message any way you want. Moore does it brilliantly and is respected because he makes fun of Bush so openly. Fair play to the guy,

#6 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 6 2005, 12:19 AM)
You will notice that not a mainstream politician in the western world will say anything positive about that man

View Post

umm.. i dont think many politicians ever have really??? apart from suck a** tony.

#7 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:24 PM

All he is doing is expressing his opinion which he is allowed to do.
And i do have quite a lot of the same views as him but i seen one of his films and thought it was annoying and wasn't innfluenced by him at all.

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

anyway i am not continuing this discussion

what you believe to be the case is now of my concern

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:32 PM

freedom of choice is a good.. and bad thing... depends on your point of view.

#10 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:35 PM

In what way is it a bad thing?

#11 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

some people dont want to know about particular products for instance. Take the example of Mike Moore. Some people think he's the worst thing on this planet and if they had their way, would ban his point of view or something like that... which wouldnt exactly be freedom of choice.

#12 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:44 PM

no it wouldn't
i must have thought you meant something else, i'm getting a bit confused

I was asking why freedom of choice could be a
bad thing

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(Dave)
the use of humor and getting the film banned produces an audience such a film wouldnt get. This humor is used to disguise messages to the public on anti bush and such things

I don't see any reason why that in itself could be called "brainwashing." A film can show opposition to something or someone without it being propaganda.

QUOTE(Dave)

"This movie [Fahrenheit 9/11] raises a lot of the issues that Americans are talking about, that George Bush has been asleep at the switch since he's been president," - Terry McAuliffe, former DNC chairman

"It's important for the American people to understand what has gone on before, what led us to this point, and to see it sort of in this unvarnished presentation by Michael Moore." - Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#14 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

I agree with Moore's views on Bush being awful (Well, we could really call the entire Republican party awful, but some Democrats aren't much better), however Moore's movies do no show the entire truth. He cuts videos from speeches which have no relation to the topic he is currently on in order to spin the view of the NRA being twats (They are, but he went the wrong way about it). The quote "From my cold dead hands" was not in Denver, Colorado or related to Columbine, it was at an entirely different speech. He does the same stuff with Fahrenheit 9/11. I still agree with him on his views about Bush, but don't agree with how he went about the making of his movies, albeit, maybe he needed to do stuff like that to alert Americans to the horrifying truth about certain organisations in America and the government in America.

I'm amazed he hasn't gone after Pat Robertson yet and some others in the religious right ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4178608.stm ).

#15 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:StirlingSwim

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:49 AM

Love him, hate him? Id prefer to just kick him in the face.

The mans an utter prat. Always has been and always will. He stirs controversy to justify his own existence.

#16 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

He brings important issues to the fore. Issues that many people would otherwise be less aware of. Most of the time he does this by simply mentioning facts that his critics find hard to swallow and are usually unable to dispute. The Heston quote "from my cold dead hands" was apparently from a speech in Charlotte, but Heston did say in his Denver speech that the Mayor of Denver had no right to ask him not to come to Denver to rally the NRA (following the Columbine shooting).

#17 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

Who's Michael Moore again?

Ooh, ten smart points for Lindsay.

#18 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

http://www.michaelmoore.com/

#19 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

Ohhhh, HIM.

I don't know what I think. I've never watched any of his documentary things or read any of his books. But I do find it rather amusing that someone so openly hates George Bush.

#20 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(Holmes @ Sep 6 2005, 10:49 AM)
He stirs controversy to justify his own existence.

View Post

I don't see anything wrong with that. If everyone just went along with what they were told, what kind of society do you think we'd live in? And it's not like he is just stirring controversy for the hell of it. As Bred says, the points he raises are matters of extreme importance that are generally glazed over by governments/media. Authority should not be seen as absolute. Should a government govern the people, or the people govern the government?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users