Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Whats the deal with Higher IS? - HSN forum

Whats the deal with Higher IS?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Fraizer

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:43 PM

I have started this subject just today and found it to be really, really boring. I want to know if its any different than Higher Computing incase I want to switch.

Thanks alot in advance mad.gif

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

It is quite a bit different from H Computing.

There are two mandatory units:

Using Information

The Using Information Unit develops an understanding of information, what it is, how it is used, how it is stored and when it is appropriate to use it. It builds on the foundations laid down in the corresponding Unit at Intermediate 2 level, and in Standard Grade Computing Studies, or other equivalent experience.

Relational Database Systems Unit
The Relational Database Systems Unit develops the candidate’s knowledge and skills in using and creating databases.

And there are three optional units:
Applied Multimedia
Expert Systems
The Internet.

You can read more about the course here: http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQ_Informa...nts_April05.pdf

#3 The Wizard of Magicland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

I vote you stay with IS, unless you LOVE prgramming. I'm doing Adv Higher, but Higher last year was one of my best subjects. Its all mostly common sense and its fairly useful an interesting. Computing leans more towards the technical side of computer use, and programming etc. while Info Systems is more how to get the most out of computers and thier everyday use. Its a good subject, but i will confess the first couple of months can be boring.
huh.gif

#4 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

I did info systems last year and hated it. Maybe it just wasn't my sorta thing, but I got incredibly bored during the subject, and consequentially, only got a D in the exam. I know the course has changed since then, which might make it more up to date and more relevant, but when I did it it was all out of date and seemed to be irrelevant.

It also seemed to take forever to go over the smallest of details, although that could have just been boredom. I obviously didn't take any of it in.

Like I said though, that's not everyones opinion, just one more disgruntled student, giving you an argument against taking it wink.gif

Gavers =)

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

I agree with you Gavers, well slightly but there is a unit which is almost the same in business management so although info systems is slightly out of date the business world is out of date and so still use those methods.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#6 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

I did it last year and thought it was sooo boring, although somehow managed to get the prize for it. If you think the coursework in class bad enough, revising for I.S is even more mind numbingly boring! Just my personal opinion...if your looking for an extra higher to pick up then go for this, you're more likely to pass in it than in computing.
You'll never bring me down, cos' i'm so far above you...

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

Thats a statistical fact by the way. My school has only ever had one band 1 in all its years of teaching higher computing but 2/3 people got a band 1 in info systems this year alone.

#8 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:18 PM

Stick with IS. The new course does have a bloody boring first unit, but I am actually finding computing more boring. Didn't think I would ever say that.

#9 Fraizer

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:50 PM

Thanks alot everyone for all your inputs. Seems like I'll be stuck with IS this year tongue.gif

#10 sweat man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:29 AM

I did info systems last year and hated it. Maybe it just wasn't my sorta thing, but I got incredibly bored during the subject, and consequentially, only got a D in the exam. I know the course has changed since then, which might make it more up to date and more relevant, but when I did it it was all out of date and seemed to be irrelevant.

It also seemed to take forever to go over the smallest of details, although that could have just been boredom. I obviously didn't take any of it in.

Like I said though, that's not everyones opinion, just one more disgruntled student, giving you an argument against taking it

Gavers =)

he is 100% correct

#11 WiLsOnx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

I like the practical side of it, Dream Weaver FTW! But reading about different types of information for hours on end is not too good.

#12 kingding

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

haha yeh Information Systems is quite boring. But if you bother to learn the stuff, then it is so easy. Its basically all KU, and an easy A pass at higher.

#13 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

I think its a lit bit late to put someone off IS that already sat it (read post dates)

#14 xxkatrinaxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

My school doesnt do higher computing so im doing higher IS this year and honestly so far its the mspot boring subject ever. its so depressing just full of notes on information n daft databases. Really dread that class.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users