Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Plans for uni next year - HSN forum

Plans for uni next year

9 replies to this topic

#1 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:56 PM

I was just wondering if any one was planning to do Chemical Engineering at Strathclyde next year and whether its a good uni to study at for the sciences

#2 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:10 PM

there's quite a few people on here going to do that course at strathclyde, starting this year. & chemical engineering isn't a science course - its engineering!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:26 PM

yeah and wedge is doing it

and he on-line and not even told you about

that boy is soo rude tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 Bridget

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

This is the reply I sent someone else asking a similar question in a previous post (hope it helps smile.gif );

Hi, I'm just starting a degree in chemical engineering.
The course is mainly a combination of maths, chemistry and physics - although more recently it involves concepts found in biology and medicine (i.e. biotechnology, designing artificial organs/ skin cells/ etc).
It's actually quite a broad degree at university in terms of what you will study. Most chemical engineering students, on top of a heavily scientific/engineering course content, must also takes courses in management, computing, economics, possibly European law/ social policy etc. which are essential for roles within the chemical industry (this is because chemical engineers frequently reach management positions). Infact, in some universities, languages can also be taken which provide the chance to spend 6 months or a year abroad, carrying out research or studying at a non-English speaking university.
There are two different classifications of degree offered to chemical engineering students, the BEng and the MEng. The Meng will immediately allow you to enter into a graduate industrial position where as the Beng will only allow you to qualify once you have completed a further course via an industrial placement. If you are doing a master of engineering as an undergraduate degree, you will have to complete a research project in your 5th year (either in an industrial or university environment) Direct entry (going directly into 2nd year) to either of these degrees is usually offered by most universities providing you gain ~AAB in appropriate AHs. Often, large blue-chip companies will offer scholarships/ paid summer placements to well qualified students - but usually for students in year 2 of their degree. This can be found out through your university department.
The average age of becoming a chartered chemical engineer is 27, and this will allow you to apply for more senior positions and gain a considerable rise in your salary. Not only will a degree in chemical engineering allow you to become a chemical engineer, but also (because of its mathematical content) it will allow you to work in investment banking, accounting, finance, etc and if further training is taking, patent law, business. I’ve heard of some chemical engineers pursuing a career in medicine after gaining a degree in the subject. On a stranger note, a notable number of chemical engineers have become astronauts (see the careers time-line in the first web-site I have mentioned).
In 2002, a chemical engineer called John B. Fenn won (with 2 other researchers) the Nobel prize in chemistry for the development of methods for identification and structure analyses of biological macromolecules. You can view more details of his discovery at http://nobelprize.org/chemistry/laureates/2002/index.html

It's great to hear from someone considering studying chemical engineering though, as, unfortunately, it's not really a very well publicized career option. However, it's apparently a very rewarding career (helping provide much needed medicines, combating global warming and producing new products - from chocolate bars to chemicals) and with chemical engineering salaries for graduates starting in the region of £20,000-£30,000 it is also financially rewarding (So it rivals that of medicine and dentistry without having to study for 5 or 6 years and then complete further training that you would have to complete to work in these areas).

As for chemical engineering at Strathclyde, I defiantly recommend going to the open-day in September and speaking to the staff who can answer degree related questions. They'll probably ask you to leave your address with them and then they will invite you to a department open-day or send you further information. The department open-day is great as it is usually carried out during term-time for university students and so it will give you a chance to ask the students their opinion of the course and allow you to see the department working.

Anyway, I hope that hasn't been overwhelming and you've found it helpful. If you have anything else you want to ask then feel free to do so - I'd be happy to help.

P.S. A couple of websites worth looking up are;

www.whynotchemeng.com (A general website about the subject)
www.icheme.org.uk (The website for the UK institute of chemical engineers)

#5 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, I'm doing Chemical Engineering at Strathclyde, for a MEng (Masters of Engineering) degree. It seem to have become a popular course at Strathclyde as I hear of people here and there opting for that course. smile.gif

#6 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

im thinking of going to Strathclyde, to study Pharmacy, but i hear its very, very competitive! im only on 5th year though, hoping to do 6th year, then would like to go!

Anyone else fancy doing this course? and would you prefer to go to Strathclyde or Robert Gordon? (as their the only Universities that offer Pharmacy in Scotland)
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#7 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:29 AM

very competitive, eh?! My cousin stayed in school til 6th year....5th year failed all his exams, 6th he had conditional offer of 3 Bs....he got BB and still got into Pharmacology and Immunology!!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#8 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:15 PM

yes Paul, but thats Pharmacology and Immunology, im thinking of Pharmacy - bit of a difference!
well according to most of the Universities i went to yesterday at the careers convention, it is highly competitive!

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#9 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

it is really competitive. but i know a lot of people doing it, & it sounds like a really interesting course to me!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#10 Kenny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

I am doing Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Strathclyde, it's a very good uni for engineering in general, and the union is amazing! (8 floors!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users