Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Open learning French. - HSN forum

Open learning French.

11 replies to this topic

#1 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

I am doing open-learning higher french this year (which means i do it flexibly with a tutor). Im doing it through my school with Stevenson College.

Thing is - there was a problem with the application and so I haven't even been able to start the course yet! ohmy.gif unsure.gif and I need to start it soon or I will fall far behind.

I've been to see the teacher who is supposed to be sorting it 4 times now but nothing seems to be sorted. And I can't just sit around and do nothing or i will be wasting time.

So..I was just wondering...what should I do until it all gets sorted? Is there anything I should look over - any notes on the web or something??

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:57 PM

http://french.about.com/ has quite a lot of stuff.

There are numerous links on the following site as well:

http://www.topmarks.co.uk/Default.aspx?Subject=15
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:18 PM

ok thanks smile.gif

#4 Meghan_Soriano

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

Don't worry about it!!! I have applied for french and tourism through Telford and I haven't even received an acceptance form yet. I've done highers for the past 2 years by open learning and I never usually started until mid september or october and I never fell behind huh.gif

#5 Strummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Ehhh I do a lot of things... cycling, photography, playing guitar, jujitsu... uhhh... being a drunken fool.... etc etc.

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:32 PM

Heh, I applied to do open learning at Telford too (not French though, I'm doing Chemistry and Physics)... it was supposed to start last Monday but I haven't received anything from them yet, except my acceptance letter. I phoned them up yesterday and they said they won't be sending the packs out for another two weeks or so. Hmm.

#6 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:39 PM

i got my pack today

full of good stuff, it was sent to my school instead of my house

the tutor guy phoned too - he seemed pretty friendly.

so..for those of you who have done open learning before....is it straightforward? any tips or anything??

#7 allanrocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Sep 9 2005, 10:39 PM)

so..for those of you who have done open learning before....is it straightforward? any tips or anything??

View Post

I did it before with stevenson college and it was awful: not enough support, thrown in at the deep end, tutors weren't really sure what they were doing. a teacher in my school said that other pupils had done it before through stevenson and found it just as bad. on the plus side, the tutor who phones you once a month is sort of friendly.

#8 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(allanrocks @ Sep 11 2005, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE(miss macleod @ Sep 9 2005, 10:39 PM)

View Post

I did it before with stevenson college and it was awful: not enough support, thrown in at the deep end, tutors weren't really sure what they were doing. a teacher in my school said that other pupils had done it before through stevenson and found it just as bad. on the plus side, the tutor who phones you once a month is sort of friendly.

View Post

oh NO.

i have a guy called roger breckon phoning me once a week

is that who you had (was it french you did yeah?)

#9 Meghan_Soriano

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:05 PM

It just depends on the tutor but most of the ones I have had from Telford have been great. The courses are usually straightforward as you normally get a schedule telling you when every assignment has to be done and you can do them in your own time.

#10 jackbauer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

oh NO.

i have a guy called roger breckon phoning me once a week

is that who you had (was it french you did yeah?)

View Post

nope, i had suzanne aspley but i dont know who the other people in my school had when they said it was awful - it could have been roger breckon.

and yes, it was french

#11 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:56 PM

its actually going really well so far for me. smile.gif mr roger breckon is friendly enough and seems to be quite a good tutor over the phone.

i do the essay work through email and he sends it back the same day with corrections and then goes over it in detail on the phone every tuesday. he's encouraging me to ask lots of qu's through email and he always gets back really quick which is good. today i got a pile of stationery sent to me along with folders and plastic pockets and dividers etc - i wasnt expecting that!! biggrin.gif

so yeah im quite enjoying it so far smile.gif

#12 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

tutor has stopped working due to health problems until christmas at teh earliest sad.gif

so im on me own now crying.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users