Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
AH Chemistry Investigation - HSN forum

AH Chemistry Investigation

2 replies to this topic

#1 xglassxvicex

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:00 PM

Heey! Basically I'm just needing some help on what kind of thing to base my investigation on. I've decided that I want to do something related to the pharmaceutical side of chemistry, so investigating aspirin/ibuprofen etc. would be what I'm looking at.
However, I'm reaaaaally stuck on what kind of angle I should be looking at for the investigation and was generally looking for some ideas to get me started.

Kthxplzbi?! x biggrin.gif

#2 Bridget

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:51 PM

You'll need to be careful when investigating asprin as it is one of the PPAs which appear in unit 3 - so make sure you're investigation isn't too similar.
As for getting more info. for your project, I'd check out the royal society of chemistry's web-site at www.rsc.org. I found it really useful when doing my investigation - hope it helps. smile.gif

#3 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:55 PM

I did an investigation on aspirin last year.

Think about the following:

Synthesis from stock 2-hydroxybenzioc acid
Synthesis from 2-hydroxybenzoic acid which you synthesise yourself
Does this affect the percentage yield?
Does the choice of catalyst affect the percentage yield?
Does the amount of catalyst affact the percentage yield?

How can you test for purity - melting point, chelation to form a coordinate complex with FeCl3 - comparison of synthesised aspirin with phonolic compounds, 2-HBR and other suitable ligands. Thin layer chromatography.

Instrumental Analysis - pNMR, cNMR, IR, UV, Mass Spectrometry, X-Ray Diffraction.

These are just a couple of things I did in my investigation last year, obviously you will want to do a bit of research and pad it out a bit.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users