Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Mistakes in exam papers - HSN forum - Page 3

Mistakes in exam papers

58 replies to this topic

#41 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:00 PM

Still isn't an excuse for mistakes to slip through; even if they are minor. For instance, mistakes in the dates used for Higher History should have been spotted immediately by the examiners. The setters are picked because they are highly able in their area of expertise so I still don't understand why mistakes happen, even when the papers are checked through 'thoroughly'.

#42 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:48 PM

What has happened before is that the scripts that the examiners have created have been correct, but then when they are sent to be typeset and put into "exam format" mistakes and typos are made. These are sent off to be printed and then the exam setters get to see them and realise people have messed up. It's not all the examiners fault. I have inside knoledge that quality control is taken seriously and the maths examiners took a hell of a lot of flak for last years paper.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#43 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:41 PM

Well they need to check it before its sent to be printed- take a TQM approach u know! Ok Mistakes in papers is one thing and maybe we could deal with it if they are only minor. However papers which are entirely the wrong fprmat and never standardised from one year to the next so no-one has a clue about whats gonna be asked ie Info Systems and this years Admin practical scandal! That is a matter we can not just sit bac and deal with!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#44 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:16 PM

the exams cant be the same every year as otherwise candidate ability would be difficult to differentiate. im sure when i speak on behalf of many the examiners arent out to get you and until the paper has been sat and marked they dont know exactly what the paper is like. theoretically it is supposed to be the same each year in terms of difficulty but this is not practical. fact. with every exam ever sat anywhere. fact. all they are told to do is make a paper with guidlines which teachers at ur schools are given to explain to you. the examiners adhere to these and in doing so do their job effectively. fact. the sqa are generous in that their appeals system consists of school work and not a simple remark of your paper. fact.

ppl have a choice which subjects to take nowadays.

if ure arguement is that more staff should be employed for vetting then u cant argue about the rise in exam charges. perhaps after all this is not due to the sqa. after all a company with limited financial resources is not able to perform well. the main body for governing it is the scottish executive.

#45 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:44 PM

I'm not argueing about the price, quite frankly I dont care about the price- I dont pay it the school does. I'm complaining about the working practices ok and if the SQA need more money to improve then the scottish executive should give them some damn money.

#46 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:49 PM

i agree with you
i think the SQA do an excellent job given their resources
perhaps the scottish executive should be investing in our education more and less on the scottish parliament?

i know its slightly off the topic but i think thats what its mainly down to

#47 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:54 PM

For once. This is very rare and I may never say this again, I agree absolutely completely with you.

#48 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:03 PM

Yay biggrin.gif

#49 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

2005 Higher Geography paper (GNP).
2005 Higher Philosophy paper (Logic).
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#50 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

2005 Higher Information Systems has a mistake in it.
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#51 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

2005 adv maths
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#52 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

Not that i was told but i assumed it was the case anyway

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#53 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

Yeah it was meant to be ln (a/b) but they had printed (a/b).

#54 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(Shaun @ May 26 2005, 06:09 PM)

View Post

Apparantly the note for invigilators to read out wasn't very good. Obviously they don't all know maths, so might have read it out as "in". rolleyes.gif

#55 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(George @ May 26 2005, 07:33 PM)

View Post

Obviously they don't all know maths

View Post

Some of them might! tongue.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#56 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

There was a mistake in the Int2 Computing paper last year, can't remember what it was though.

#57 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(George @ May 26 2005, 07:33 PM)

View Post

Apparantly the note for invigilators to read out wasn't very good. Obviously they don't all know maths, so might have read it out as "in". rolleyes.gif

View Post

lol, the invigilator in my maths exam read it as "in" and wrote "in" up on the board blink.gif
Everyone was like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? huh.gif " then it wasnt until she showed a guy down the front the bit of paper that had "ln" on it.

laugh.gif Quite funny now
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#58 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

For the error in AH Maths, the invigilators never read it out to us. They came round us all one by one and showed us the card with the error on it smile.gif
Mark

#59 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

probs cos they never had a clue wot it meant!? tongue.gif
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users