Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Mistakes in exam papers - HSN forum - Page 2

Mistakes in exam papers

58 replies to this topic

#21 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Douglas @ Jun 3 2004, 04:01 PM)
but then again it would be too much to ask that the stages of checking and vettin actually worked!

Of course - this is the SQA after all....

#22 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:05 PM

Allan - was it the 2003 paper? Yes there was a mistake in the 2003. I sat my Higher Business at the same time as SG Credit Comp in the same room.
user posted image
user posted image

#23 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (thebizwiz @ Jun 3 2004, 05:05 PM)
Allan - was it the 2003 paper?

unsure.gif for what?

#24 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:25 PM

I did H Comp last year and was in same room as sg comp there was no changes

#25 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:27 PM

Guest the comp exam was on at 1300 - sg was on at 0900, so I doubt it - unless you clashed (like I did)
user posted image
user posted image

#26 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

the insert notice was only on a typo a word had been missed out in a sentence, the same happened in SG french reading can't remember which level

The stypo had no effect on the exam as far as i could see it was just like any other exam paper interally assessed where the teacher was being bugged while doing it and forgot a word no big deal

It was credit in the afternoon which was is in the same hall as higher, i had the same thing also in 2 was there

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#27 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:22 PM

this forum is about mistakes the sqa have made

this includes admin etc but not ones which they have rectified as it will nto affect the marks

#28 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:37 PM

James you're missing the point

#29 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:40 PM

im not

the blunders are only ones unnoticed until the exams are being marked

the scrutineer is paid to check and make sure there is no mistakes so when ammendments are to be made they dont cause any candidates to lose marks and have an excuse saying here u made a mistake and im going to protest

#30 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

The fact is they should be checking papers for errors before printing them...any logic would suggest that is the sensible thing to do.

If there is an error in a paper after printing they do spot :

a. not everyone finds out (as this forum has shown)
b. the invigilator lets candidates open the paper to correct it so they see the paper whilst still being allowed to talk to others - great security of the paper there

And mistakes that are un noticed are still going through:

For example, Higher Information Systems 2004 - half a diagram was missing making part of a question impossible. In Higher Economics 2004, they are using out of date terms and references.

#31 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

as i always say its all and well we complainb but we should think of actions to minimise the effects

are you aware of how many subjects and levels of exams they SQA offer and the funding they receive for staffing and costs. PLUS they cant afford to reprint all the papers the cost of inflation means they are in debt hence increased fees which BTW are not out of your pocket!

#32 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:12 PM

nice to see ur posting again martin

#33 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:15 PM

there should have been no talking thats a problem with the invigilators in your centre

I think that all mistakes any any paper ever sat ever have had no effect on the end result of the qualification they recieve in the end.

Obviously you can't prove it but the provisions that are made by SQA for such an effect in my option are effective enough

In the past people have said the grade cut off have been high even thought the paper was incorrect in places. Did you not think that was because the markers were instructed to be less strict in their marking and so the final percentages were unaffected and if truth be told i thinkthat helps less able people to gain marks where they wouldn't normally so whats the problem blink.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#34 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

Here here!

#35 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

Well then there's also an invigilator problem! It goes...

The correction gets read out...you turn to it and fix it. Then you're supposed to shut your paper. The exam hasn't started yet so you've not been told to be quiet. You can therefore talk to others about what you've just seen.

That's how it goes at my school. Except of course for that Maths exam, and IS and Economics. They just didn't bother full stop.

Where did I say they should re-print the papers? I don't expect them to do that, I expect them to be printed correctly in the first place.

In 2002 H Information Systems the SQA wouldn't admit the paper was hard, then it went to the Scottish Executive. So the marker's wouldn't have been told to be lenient. Plus telling markers to be less strict isn't a fool proof method, the standards applied are hardly likely to be consistent, plus, personally, I doubt they are ever told to be "less strict" in that manner.

#36 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:44 PM

Of course they're not. They follow the marking scheme always and striclty for fairness when compaing results.

Plus they have limited time (less than a year to get the paper sorted out which is not a long time for the whole process).

#37 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:19 AM

james1 I'm sure you said it was fours years?!

#38 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (Dave @ Jun 3 2004, 09:15 PM)
there should have been no talking thats a problem with the invigilators in your centre

The Invigilators are employed by the SQA just like the exam setters are employed by the SQA aswell.

#39 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (ally @ Jun 4 2004, 12:19 AM)
james1 I'm sure you said it was fours years?!

thats not for everything! only things like chemistry multiple choice so they can get it tested and analyse the results so they can think about the ones to put in the paper. but in essence there is a paper every year so the timeline is one year to get the paper wrote, check the arrangements, meetings with the PA, redrafts, mroe meetings, vetting, final approval from management, printing, scrutinising and ammendments. on top of that the examiners have to deal with moderation from unit assessments are co-ordinate marking of coursework. they have to update arrangements, respond to queries, deal with NQ review, do appeals, actually mark some of the scripts themselves, sit at pass mark meetings, attend markers meetings....

theres a huge bunch of stuff to do from year to year and i appreciate the work the examiners do

#40 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 4 2004, 08:46 AM)
theres a huge bunch of stuff to do from year to year and i appreciate the work the examiners do

My mum has been a setter for German on occasions and agree with james1 totally. She had to stay away from home for long periods of time while the examination team had meetings over weekends for example and each marker gets far more scripts than you would believe possible (each centre does not get thier own marker!)
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users