Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Glasgow university... - HSN forum - Page 6

Glasgow university...

127 replies to this topic

#101 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:38 PM

Uni is so disorganised! At school we were given our timetables and sent off to classes. If we had any problems we went to see the Depute Head. At uni it's all about noticeboards and rubbish!

The friends thing is a bit weird. I'm hoping it should get better once we're settled into proper classes. Everyone's in the same situation though so I don't feel too bad about talking to total strangers, something which I'd never normally do!

Oh, fanbloodytastic. I'm not on any of the class lists for the language part of French, there weren't any lists up for Film and TV and I don't even know if I'm going to doing Spanish or not and I won't know until bloody Wednesday.

The French lists confused me, there were way too many! I think I'm in at 12 although maybe that's for the oral class, maybe they're both at 12 actually huh.gif I'll check again on Tuesday morning.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#102 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:26 PM

Im loving Student life, but I agree it is so difficult to make friends.

I'm sure it will pick up when we get into classes, but like you Lesely, I was gutted at my Orientation Day on Tuesday when I met 1 person. Basically, no-one would speak and I was considering dropping out! rolleyes.gif

I think it's good how we have to go and find everything out for ourselves, although I'm concerned about this French class - we have 2 classes on Tuesday and there is a class list in the Language Building for the Speaking one?

#103 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

Ah ha! I now have a language class. Woopee.

Tuesday at 12. Room 403. Fabulous. And for the oral I'm Monday at 1. Which is quite civilized.

#104 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

I've still not found out alot, Tuesday will be chaos.

#105 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

I've pulled myself a bit together after the disaster that was Thursday. It comes close to being the worst day in my life, that's how awful it felt. However, i've spoken to quite a few people about the whole thing and i'm feeling quite a bit better! I'll jsut take tuesday as a whole new day and try to forget that thursday ever existed smile.gif

I've got my timetable but it's totally confusing. I don't seem to have any lectures for one of my 40 credit subjects after week four :| and i'm unsire of all my tutorial times.

Has anyone been to one of the computer clusters and actually logged in? I'm wondering how you know what your password is.. is it jsut the password you used for websurf?
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#106 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Sep 23 2005, 10:45 PM)
Has anyone been to one of the computer clusters and actually logged in? I'm wondering how you know what your password is.. is it jsut the password you used for websurf?

View Post

Yeah. The first time i used the Computers i was told that my password was my D.O.B backwards but that didnt work. So i tried my websurf password, and it worked fine, the same with the email.
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#107 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

Great. When I first logged into my uni e-mail account i didn't change my password so now it won't let me in. Apparently that happens if you don't change it after a few times. Now I need to venure into the library and find Student Support and get them to give me a new one. I'm gonna look like such a fool. Knew I should've read that IT booklet thing. mad.gif

#108 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:16 PM

Ewww, I'm having to take time off already because I'm a big ill person and I don't want to miss anything because I don't know anyone to copy from. =/

Ick. I hate this so much.

#109 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

I really don't think i like my course. I know this probably sounds daft after like 1 week, but if i don't like it now... *sigh*
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#110 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:12 PM

Im really enjoying Uni and I am slowly settling in/getting a routine.

One suprising thing is how difficult it is to meet people/make friends. Its far better than school though.

#111 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

Ewww, I'm having to take time off already because I'm a big ill person and I don't want to miss anything because I don't know anyone to copy from. =/

For French they're starting to put the stuff up on Moodle so you should be okay.

Anyone get an e-mail about the French oral class? It's all in French! I thought they'd maybe have the English and the French for incapable people like me sad.gif

"Commencez des a present a vous inscrire sur la grille qui est affichee a la porte de mon bureau (116). Trois d'entre vous passeront chaque semaine, en commencant des la semaine 3. Ne tardez pas."

Do i have to go to her office or something? Confusing.

It's quite hard making friends... I can never find the same people in my lectures so that's a bit weird.

lesley - can you not change your course? Or speak to your asviser or someone about it? They should be able to make you feel better about it. Loads of people probably feel the same, I change my mind about uni everyday!

#112 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

Do i have to go to her office or something? Confusing.

Yeah, sounds like you have to put your name down on the notice on her office door to register for the class.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#113 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:29 PM

I suppose i'm not the first person who's decided that the course they've chosen isn't for them. It's alot different to what i thought it would be like. I'll perservere for now and see how i feel in a couple of weeks.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#114 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Oct 4 2005, 05:18 PM)
I really don't think i like my course. I know this probably sounds daft after like 1 week, but if i don't like it now... *sigh*

View Post

i was the same last year. & actually, am the same this year. i did start to enjoy it later in the year last year though, it just takes a bit of getting used to. its like, you've been looking forward to it for a while, & now it just seems like a big let down!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#115 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

Speak to your Advisor.

I spoke to mine and everything has been sorted out. Or try and do some studying on it, I did and it helped.

I got that French Oral e-mail but I've dropped the subject. My Advisor said that Languages are really difficult at Uni but that e-mail takes the piss.

Should we have an HSN Glasgow Uni meet up?! tongue.gif I'll bring along Jamie Lesely, so you'll know someone!

#116 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Oct 4 2005, 06:29 PM)

View Post

i was the same last year. & actually, am the same this year. i did start to enjoy it later in the year last year though, it just takes a bit of getting used to. its like, you've been looking forward to it for a while, & now it just seems like a big let down!

View Post

Well I'm enjoying some of the classes more than others, but I'm finding uni a bit weird. It's so different from school, and it'll take time adjusting to it. In particular I am talking about how much of the work you really get left to your own devices on.

It's difficult to meet people in lectures! We have a Personal & Professional Development group (5 of us, on the same course) who meet up every week and discuss a computing issue. So I've made friends with those people, but that's about it!

And then there's the adjustment from being lazy over the holidays to start to work again! *eek*
Mark

#117 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:14 PM

AAh Jamie, bless!

I think i've made my mind up actually, but i'll see what the advisors got to say for herself...
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#118 Blaze

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:16 PM

I don't think Uni is too bad, starting to settle in though.

Found out today that I've got a lab on a Friday till 5! mad.gif I need an excuse to try and change days

#119 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(sparky @ Oct 4 2005, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE(broughy @ Oct 4 2005, 06:29 PM)

View Post

View Post

Well I'm enjoying some of the classes more than others, but I'm finding uni a bit weird. It's so different from school, and it'll take time adjusting to it. In particular I am talking about how much of the work you really get left to your own devices on.

It's difficult to meet people in lectures! We have a Personal & Professional Development group (5 of us, on the same course) who meet up every week and discuss a computing issue. So I've made friends with those people, but that's about it!

And then there's the adjustment from being lazy over the holidays to start to work again! *eek*

View Post

i totally agree with all of that! just cos i'm not a new 1st year, you'd think i'd be used to uni, & be ok with it all. but i'm kinda not. my group of "uni mates", we'd got quite close by the end of last year, & we've all drifted a bit over the summer hols. plus, the first mate i actually made at uni, is in a lot of different classes this year, so we're kinda missing her a bit aswell!

basically, uni still feels "weird" to me. & i know i'll get over it & i know it'll be ok. i guess everyone just feels a bit outta their depth at the start of the year!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#120 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(lesley @ Oct 4 2005, 04:18 PM)

View Post

My friend's doing law at Strathclyde and she too hates it. And I mean HATES it. I look forward to seeing her today so she can rant at me, haha.

Ooh, I missed my film and tv screening yesterday due to dying-ness, and have a lecture on it at eleven, haha. How much am I not going to know what's going on?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users