Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Crash course chemistry - HSN forum

Crash course chemistry

33 replies to this topic

#1 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

Since I would like to do medicine at Glasgow next year, I really need chemistry as a higher subject. I didn't do it at standard grade so I'm a little nervous about the course.

Is it really hard to crash? How much standard grade work is involved with the higher course?

Thank you. biggrin.gif

#2 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

I can't imagine it being that hard - the higher course is quite a bit different from the Standard Grade one: there's usually a couple of Standard Grade questions in the exam but lots of people do badly in them because they've forgotten all the SG work!
A lot of the higher work expands on SG, so you relearn parts of SG in greater detail. Just get a good higher revision book (we used a good one, can't remember the name though) and you'll be fine.

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:51 PM

Never done chemistry before? Not really recommended unless you're willing to put in a hell of alot of work, get your basics together - equation writing and all that.

#4 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:04 PM

Well I am willing to put in a lot of work. I plan to get some standard grade revision books as well as the standard material.

#5 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:34 PM

You should really start studying now if you are serious about it.

#6 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

Meh, I still think that if you're a sciency person it won't be a problem..

#7 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

lol I'll still stick to my view. If you just want a basic pass, say a C, yeah sure it should be possible with a good deal of work. But I mean if you're looking for a high flyer... I don't know. I have a friend who'd never done chemistry before and ended up with a No Award. Then again there'll be similar stories with reasonably good passes.

Only thing is its not one of thsoe things like bio where u can regurgitate everything in parrot fashion. It is quite applied, and you do have to know your stuff.

I would say do a Standard Grade crash course within a week or so, sit a few papers, see how you find it. Ultimately you will be after all "studying for the exam." Good luck nonetheless. smile.gif

#8 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

I think you should be fine! If your goal at the end of it is to do medicine then you will put the required work in!! Good luck!
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:08 PM

If you have a good teacher and work hard I think you'll be fine.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#10 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

Well I'm studying the bytesize revision (standard grade) as I speak and I plan to look over the higher section. Plus I'm gonna study the notes available on good old HSN!

Are there any practical or is it all theory based? I know that in SG biology there wer practical experiments but there were none in higher. Is chemistry like that?

#11 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

There are experiements called PPAs (prescribed practical activities) which you need to do. You need to complete a report on a certain number of these (not sure how many). Also, any of the PPAs can be asked about in the exam, so you need to know about them.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#12 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

As for what to learn from standard grade:

Everything that is in bitesize would really be necessary for you to have a good grounding for higher.

Make sure you practice calculations - there are a lot of these in higher.

If I were you I would get this book:

Revise Standard Grade Chemistryuser posted image

I found it useful when I was doing standard grade.

Learn up all the standard grade hydrocarbons - alkanes, alkenes, cycloalkanes and alkynes.

And make sure you understand the concept of a mole!
user posted image

#13 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:42 PM

Thanks so much werlop! I'll buy that book!

BTW, since I got 5 A's this year, would a B get me into Glasgow, or do I need an A?

#14 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

No problem, I am just looking through that book now actually, there are some things from standard grade that you probably don't need to know for higher, but remember they do sometimes ask standard grade knowledge questions (and people usually mess these up!). The things you probably won't need to know about are:

* Fertilizers
* In the section on fuels you don't need to know what I would call the "general knowledge" stuff - that is chapter 5 in that book (it will be obvious what I mean by general knowledge stuff if you get that book).
* The nitrogen cycle
* Some of the stuff about metals and the properties of alloys (chapter 11) isn't really needed, although you will need to know about the relative reactivity of metals and their corresponding metal oxides.

Apart from that learn everything else in that book.

You will probably find it very easy to pick up what you need since it is standard grade knowledge.
user posted image

#15 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

Cheers for the tips werlop! Is there a higher version for this book?

#16 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE($D$2 @ Aug 13 2005, 10:42 PM)

BTW, since I got 5 A's this year, would a B get me into Glasgow, or do I need an A?

View Post

Well since it's medicine you wanna do, an A in chemistry is definitely the most desirable grade. If you want to do veterinary it's absolutely compulsory...

#17 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(HatingHighers @ Aug 14 2005, 04:57 AM)
QUOTE($D$2 @ Aug 13 2005, 10:42 PM)

View Post

Well since it's medicine you wanna do, an A in chemistry is definitely the most desirable grade. If you want to do veterinary it's absolutely compulsory...

View Post

Luckily I don't really want to do vet. med! biggrin.gif

Cheers hatinghighers.

#18 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:59 AM

Slightly off topic, but last year from my school there were very few people who got an offer from Glasgow for medicine:

Most people with 5As did not get offers which I found very strange, when there were a few with 4As and B who did get offers.

So out of those that got offers there was me with 6As, a couple with 4As and a B, and I did not actually hear of anyone with 5As from my school getting a place. Anyway, back to chemistry.

I'm not sure if there is a higher version of that book, but there will be similar books, and the HSN notes are actually very good for higher chemistry.
user posted image

#19 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

Excellent. No doubt I'll be using them. I'll probably have to ask a few questions on the forums too... I've never really liked chemistry. dry.gif

#20 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:43 PM

I would recommend not doing crash Higher. I think Chemistry is a very complex topic with much to learn. Although, I never got taught the 'chalk and talk' method (whereby your teacher writes on a board and explains) our class mainly learned from reading passages and filling in the blanks (ugh!).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users