Calling all those goin to Strathclyde!

585 replies to this topic

Poll: which faculty do you have a place in at strathclyde? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

which faculty do you have a place in at strathclyde?

1. Law, Arts and Social Sciences (11 votes [20.37%])

Percentage of vote: 20.37%

2. Business (8 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Education (3 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

4. Engineering (8 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

5. Science (22 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

6. Other (2 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#381 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:32 PM

x
@

#382 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

Glasgow don't give exemptions from exams sad.gif

#383 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:08 AM

really they did in my dads day a few decades ago

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#384 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Justboy @ Dec 18 2005, 11:47 PM)
Glasgow don't give exemptions from exams sad.gif

View Post

We're a proper Uni though laugh.gif

#385 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:01 PM

Nah, its just that glasgows students arent brainy enough to get exemptions tongue.gif
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#386 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

Exemptions make sense because what is the point of being made to sit an exam when you the entire length of the class you have gotton above 60%. The probability of failing after those grades is well really small dont you think

#387 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:18 PM

There are some reasons on the following page why Edinburgh generally don't give students exemptions:

http://www.aaps.ed.ac.uk/projects/CURR/AG0...-Exemptions.htm
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#388 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 19 2005, 01:27 PM)
Exemptions make sense because what is the point of being made to sit an exam when you the entire length of the class you have gotton above 60%. The probability of failing after those grades is well really small dont you think

View Post

Have you been told you've got exemptions from them all yet? I've only had Computer Systems confirmed, and I should have got one for Apps and Imps but the marks aren't up yet!

Management Science results aren't up either - despite that woman saying they'd be up by Friday!
Mark

#389 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

Murray Wood said they will all be up by thursday basically because that is when they all go on holiday (staff)

The reasons Edinburgh gives seem to be very selfish - namely that to avoid students challanging paying yearly tution fees if they are only there for 20 odd weeks a year or that people wont take out a yearly rent

i dont agree with them on the not covering all the learning outcomes. I have seen the degree exams and although they are more difficult there is not doubt the people i know who have exemption would pass it very easily indeed

#390 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:57 PM

The final marks for apps are now up sparky and pseudo i got 100% for the perl test so i am pleased:D

#391 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 19 2005, 02:24 PM)
i dont agree with them on the not covering all the learning outcomes. I have seen the degree exams and although they are more difficult there is not doubt the people i know who have exemption would pass it very easily indeed

View Post

Maybe they would but if the course covers different topics throughout the thirty weeks then those not sitting the degree exam(s) at the end of the year may not be motivated to learn about certain topics.

Well done on your mark for the Perl test.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#392 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

I wish Glasgow did do them as I think I would probably have been fine going from my test marks, all above 85% sad.gif

#393 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:06 PM

any of u strathclyders celebrating end of term at the union 2moro day or night? I shall be embracing the union with my company for a few-ish amount of drinks tongue.gif

Its the unions last nite of trading over the xmas period!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#394 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(Paul @ Dec 22 2005, 11:06 PM)
any of u strathclyders celebrating end of term at the union 2moro day or night? I shall be embracing the union with my company for a few-ish amount of drinks tongue.gif

Its the unions last nite of trading over the xmas period!

View Post

I'd go, but alas, I already have plans for the festive period involving females and alcohol. Ah well, perhaps next year...

#395 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

lol, females and alcohol? granny and whisky? lol, only kiddin! well enjoy ur xmas!

and to every1 else on HSN too!

---MeRrY cHrIsTmAs!---
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#396 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(Paul @ Dec 22 2005, 11:18 PM)
lol, females and alcohol? granny and whisky? lol, only kiddin! well enjoy ur xmas!

and to every1 else on HSN too!

---MeRrY cHrIsTmAs!---

View Post

Yeah, enjoy your xmas too, and the same to everyone on HSN! biggrin.gif

#397 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

I suggest people check their timetables before we go back because i checked my classes and some things have changed places.

#398 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

yeah rooms, times, lecturers and classes are all different or could be different

#399 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

I got an exam 2moro...cant be bothered! am enjoyin my holiday! tried to revise for it but i dont like it (intro to accounting) so I keep getn distracted....
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#400 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 19 2005, 03:57 PM)
The final marks for apps are now up sparky and pseudo i got 100% for the perl test so i am pleased:D

View Post

That's really good! tongue.gif

I think I got 18/20 for the Perl one. I got 91% for the Man Sci test, which was pleasing, and means I have a good mark for this semester if we're talking about exemptions!

Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users