Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
appeals - HSN forum - Page 2

appeals

40 replies to this topic

#21 hamiltona06s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:26 PM

Appeals are there for people under special circumstances at the time of sitting the actual exam, eg il health, family problems. They are not used to upgrade every prelim result that you get. Schools are now asked to explain, on a pupil by pupil basis, the reason for appealing for that pupil.

Someone mentioned automatic appeals - these are given before results are issued if you are below your teachers estimated grade but that teacher estimated your classmates spot on.

Different schools may differ, but at my school we do not appeal just because a pupil got an A in the prelim and a B in their actual exam.

Hope this helps - sorry not too positive!

#22 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

Does that mean that you are a teacher then??
And i never got an A in one of my Chemistry prelim but i got the highest mark in the class, it was a hard prelim, i was 1 off the a mark and i was off just before and after the prelims for quite a while does that mean i could get an appeal??

#23 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:36 PM

If you try and appeal and it is not essential the school argues against it strongly the main appeals are from people going from d's to c's or from 3's to 2's at standard grade.

#24 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Thats true but if you need an A in a subject for uni then thats viewed as essential.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#25 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:41 PM

Well it isnt then coz ive already gotten in but its just really annoying because i knew i should have gotten an A

#26 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:43 PM

Thats what I mean if you have got into Uni the school won't even bother unless it is stopping you from getting your firm choice.

#27 hamiltona06s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

Yes i am a Business Education teacher. I am not saying that you will def get your appeal but if there were circumstances like you describe then I would consider that grounds for appeal.

You said it was a tough Prelim. Unfortunately that is for the SQA to decide! Even we teachers get prelims wrong and that could be the difference between getting your appeal or not.

Your Chemistry department will have the final say in whether they feel their are ground to appeal or not, and would normally send your prelim and other evidence (NAB's etc) to the SQA.

Good luck!

#28 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:45 PM

I've had appeals turned down twice once for going from a 2 to a 1 and going from a C to a B. In both of these subjects I had very high 1 and a high B this was no viewed as essential as I was still going to do higher and the other appeal was rejected by my school because I had passed the subject. I dont see the point in appeals if they don't let everyone get them.

#29 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:48 PM

I think they try to focus on the people who have failed because only a certain number of people can appeal from each class or department. But my higher chemistry department was just my class last year which was 18 people, but I suppose i should just go in and see my teacher at some point soon to find out

#30 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

You've just been very unlucky, I've had two appeals, one from a 2 inside a 1 to a 1 inside a 1 (hardly needed now was it) and one from a high B to an A. Its sad really.

#31 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:52 PM

my school must just suck.

#32 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

Maybe you dont assert yourself enough.

#33 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Aug 15 2005, 08:54 PM)

View Post

Why are you being rude.

#34 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(hamiltona06s @ Aug 15 2005, 08:26 PM)
Appeals are there for people under special circumstances at the time of sitting the actual exam, eg il health, family problems

Wtf. Since when???
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#35 CatWoman

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hey listen

I know a girl who went to college last year who got just 52% in her prelim in Higher English and she then failed her Higher English exam with 'No Award'. She won her English appeal!!!! A lot of people were pissed off cos some of them got B's and A's in the prelim but they didn't win their appeal. But this girl in question has a bad disability and is in a wheelchair and people said she only got the appeal cos of her disability.....someone here said you can win down to personal and family circumstances. Well this girl sure did.

CatWoman

#36 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:52 PM

I'd just like to point out that quite often the grade boundaries for prelims remain static at 75% + for an A, while this is not the case in the actual exam.
It also doesn't help that prelims are generally percieved to be harder than the actual exam itself - in my case anyway.

#37 Lynnphocite

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, theatre, guitar, music, dancing, gigging.. anything arty really.

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

I don't have the most amazing evidence for my appeals but I do have an amazing medical certificate as I was very ill during my exams, so my school says they will try and appeal pour moi. Anyone care to take a stab at my chance of getting a successful appeal? lol

#38 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(gary @ Aug 15 2005, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Aug 15 2005, 08:54 PM)

View Post

Why are you being rude.

View Post

I'm not being rude, merely suggesting that (because you said you said your school sucked) you werent being listened to. Its more of a fault with the school than yourself. All I'm saying is to get schools to listen you have to be a wee bit more assertive than usual.

QUOTE(Lynnphocite @ Aug 16 2005, 02:52 PM)
I don't have the most amazing evidence for my appeals but I do have an amazing medical certificate as I was very ill during my exams, so my school says they will try and appeal pour moi.  Anyone care to take a stab at my chance of getting a successful appeal? lol

View Post

Depending on how strong your evidence is I'd say you could get a couple, they are always really nice to people on terms of illness.

#39 Donnerstag8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hey, just on the topic of appeals for ill/disabled people. They are a very useful thing to have in place, even if they seem kindof unfair if people are given extra dispensation because of their health.

I did my prelims fine, got all A's and 1s, but then later in the year developed a very bad case of appendicitis, which kept me in bed for 6 weeks, and gave me trouble walking for about a year. I missed my exams, and had to appeal for all of my results. I got the same results as I did in my prelims. So in this case, these kinds of appeals are very helpful smile.gif

#40 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

yes but that isnt the same as the main use of appeals these days which is if i person makes a pigs ear of there exam they will try to appeal that they arent in fact as stupid as there paper makes out

An increasing amount of people feel this is wrong and the SQA is the only board in the UK which does this

If i am not here i am somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users