Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
appeals - HSN forum

appeals

40 replies to this topic

#1 hateexams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hey
When i opened my results i was gutted and shocked to see a B for English. I got A's all year and i needed 2 get an A for the course i want 2 do. All my m8s keep telling me it will be ok cz ill appeal but my maths teacher said hardly any appeals are successful now! I was wondering what you thought: i got about 82% in my prelim, passed all my nabs first time with about 20 or more out of 30 and my personal study and everything got a good comment.
do u think i have a chance?

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:47 PM

Yeah. Go for it. You've got nothing to lose, but I expect that you would be put up for an automatic appeal anyway.

#3 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:51 PM

forget your maths teacher. Your stuff looks quite convincing and as long as your estimate was an A then an automatic appeal will be made (AFAIK). You prob have a good chance

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

Here are the success rates of appeals for the last few years:

2000 - 43%
2001 - 38%
2002 - 40%
2003 - 45%

#5 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

automatic appeals? How do you know if you have one?

#6 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

You have to ask the school.

#7 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

don't you get sent a letter to say if your appeals were successful?

#8 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Steven_Gerrard @ Aug 9 2005, 02:41 PM)
automatic appeals? How do you know if you have one?

View Post

Are you talking about a derived grade? If you have had an "automatic appeal" then you will have your automatically appealed grade on your certificate - that is your appeal has already happened and the grade will not be going up any further.

For other appeals you need to speak to the school about them.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#9 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

Im hoping for two appeals! Ive got nothing to lose so I've got my fingers crossed and I will hope for the best! I got a C in english but I got a B in the first prelim and an A in the second prelim, also I got A's in history most of the time and I got a high A in the prelim! I'm hoping all goes well as it would leave me with AAAAB and I could mayb drop one of my subjects this year!
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#10 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(hateexams @ Aug 9 2005, 12:45 PM)
Hey
When i opened my results i was gutted and shocked to see a B for English.  I got A's all year and i needed 2 get an A for the course i want 2 do.  All my m8s keep telling me it will be ok cz ill appeal but my maths teacher said hardly any appeals are successful now!  I was wondering what you thought: i got about 82% in my prelim, passed all my nabs first time with about 20 or more out of 30 and my personal study and everything got a good comment.
do u think i have a chance?

View Post

Em... the expert has arrived and yes you stand a very very good chance if by you have As in essays. Trust me... I have had many friends you have appealed with 96% prelims and not got it because of their lack of additional untimed/timed in class essays at A grade. I also have friends who got 63% prelims and loads of A essays and got an appeal. I'd say you stand a fanstastic chance as you have both!
QUOTE(YIC @ Aug 9 2005, 02:04 PM)

don't you get sent a letter to say if your appeals were successful?

View Post

Em...no, not unless its the quick appeal (5 day or something) because you are going to uni. Otherwise (from experience) you don't. You have to wait for the certificate to arrive in November or ask your school's SQA co-ordinator to know!

Additional advice: If you do need an appeal and think that the school are going to do it automatically,check with the school anyway and tell them to appeal, some systems are just strange, they might decide to appeal for a fail to C over your B to A!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#11 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:32 PM

There's a 10% rule that goes along with appeals too. Some more info on that:

Since 2003, centres have been asked to provide a rationale if they are submitting External Assessment Appeals for a significant proportion (ie more than 10%) of any cohort for a Course. The rationale should explain why more than 10% of any one cohort did not perform to the standard expected in the externally-assessed components of a Course. The introduction of rationales provides centres with an opportunity to explain why a significant proportion of a particular cohort should be treated as exceptional cases, and they will be used by Examiners to assist decisionmaking, where this is appropriate.

#12 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

Am I right in thinking that if you appeal you can only go up one band?

so if i had a B band 1 i could get an A,
but if it was a B band 2 i would just remain at a B (band 1)?

#13 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

Hmmm... they don't do it in terms of bands, only grades. So you could still appeal a B regardless of what band it is. I think.

#14 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

Technically thats true its in bands. Sometimes there are exceptions though and to up 1 whole grade is quite common . You could go up to an A from a B band 2. Which subject you're appealing for plays a big factor though, so what is the subject in question?

#15 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

No, I am almost certain that you don't go up 1 band. You can go from a C to an A if you have the stuff for it. I am hopeful of going from a C to a B in German with a prelim result of an A and several essays of a good standard. However, many of my class have failed and got a D which may mean that my appeal is overlooked which I am very concerned about.

#16 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:35 PM

It was actually maths getting from a C to a B. I know my exam wasnt good at ALL - it went terrible, i'm so pleased i passed. I got an good A in the prelim though but im thinking if my exam was really crap it would be hard to lift the grade up.

#17 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:35 PM

Again its absolutely true Mikey. Perhaps I should have said "technically" in a more dismissive tone. Its very common to go up one grade and less common to go up 2 but it can be done. Mikey- get on to the school as soon as possible- make sure you get that deserved appeal!

Miss Macleod- in Maths and English its very easy to jump one grade on appeal- because of the tremendous ammount of stress in the exams. Get on to the school as soon as possible and ask them for an appeal.

#18 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

hey! im trying to appeal for my modern studies, I have had above 80% throughout the whole year. And my institution are not going to let me know untill next week! I need to reply to my "insurance" university by the 22nd also. They are taking too much time!

This is to Discogirl17, this 5 day appeal thing..is that for all institutions? I dont know why our co-ordinator is taking so much time!

#19 hateexams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:40 PM

I've just had a look through my English stuff i have at home (im the one who started this post btw lol) and i have found about 7 decent essays but most of them are untimed. I also have my prelim and a few essays in school. The thing is i have hardly any close reading evidence. The ones i have in school only got about 20/30 because they just seemed like silly practices at the time. Do u think this will matter?

#20 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(James56 @ Aug 10 2005, 06:03 PM)
nina, what was ur exam mark, becauseĀ  may be able to help you if you tell me what it was -tho u probs wont get ur appeal, no1 does these days-reality plz!

View Post

for my final exam? i dont know :S.
For my prelim exam i got around 79-85% im sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users