SQA: Good or bad?

52 replies to this topic

Poll: SQA Good or Bad? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

SQA Good or Bad?

1. Good (11 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

2. Bad (15 votes [57.69%])

Percentage of vote: 57.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 gaveaway

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:music

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (thebizwiz @ May 29 2004, 04:10 PM)

Thursday night on BBC One - "Brassed Off Britain" exposes the exam boards that really p*** you off.  Call 0870 010 7070 to register your vote for the exam board that you hate the most.  You make what it is.

lmao! Now ure putting ideas in2 my head...i dont know if it'll b a dream or a nitemare lol with that guy overemphasising everything and that evil ivan bus driver man ...after the first programme i was so scared i never watched it again!!!
Mayb'll scare the SQA into lowering prices or wotever...lol
if barbie was so popular then why do u have to buy her friends

#42 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:59 PM

We could start a rival exam board...

Show the SQA some competition and have a price/quality war!

NCSQS - no crap scottish qualifications service
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#43 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:15 PM

Still think my name's better:

Scottish Higher and Intermediate Tests, or SHIT.
user posted image
user posted image

#44 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:54 PM

rofl. indeed - definitely a better name!
but not too sure we'd get away with it biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#45 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

Invigilator: "This is the SHIT Higher English examination for 2004. You have 90 minutes to complete this paper. You may begin.

Invigilator: "That's your SHIT examination finished now, please put your pens down."

user posted image
user posted image

#46 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:42 PM

yeh hilarious. But seriously people. Our collective name for the collective complaints letter? Choose one.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#47 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:45 PM

The Higher Still Action Group?
Higher Still Students Group?
Students Against Discrimination?

Something like that?
user posted image
user posted image

#48 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

I think we should be called the Higher Still Action Group, HSAG.

Although I think we should all write individual letters as this will give them no idea that we are a small group of ppl against the SQA and will give the impression that this is a nation wide appeal for the SQA to improve. I think it will have more effect if they dont know we are a group.

What u'all think?

I think the letters should be done by the end of next week and sent away then as this is about the time the exams finish. Letters should include common problems which occur for us all and individual problems which we have with them. But all must mention the most common problems.

????
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#49 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

Yeh I think that is a great idea, making up individual letters.

Although the letters should address similiar points...

#50 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:33 PM

Yeah! We should have like a list of set things that we should try and put into the letters, and then kind of put this in our own words and give our own experiences of it.
user posted image
user posted image

#51 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

People plz see Collective Complaints Letter Thread. Put in there what u think we should be called. I think we should be called NASQA

#52 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (Allan @ May 25 2004, 07:06 PM)
The SQA are hopeless, and yes I do have substantial evidence to back up my point:

• Past Paper Solutions: For low uptake subjects the SQA refuse to issue past paper solutions, model answers, marking instructions or whatever you call them by. They claim these are "Confidential" and they cannot be given out as they are not in the public domain. How then can Leckie & Leckie publish the SQA answers, albeit they are condensed? This is clearly unfair for a candidate sitting a low uptake subject where the SQA solutions are not available. If anyone can argue with me on this one I'd like to hear it.

Yeah I agree with you there Allan.

I quote from an actual exam setter:

" Marking schemes and policies are not only not published but are jealously guarded and protected by confidentiality agreements."

(Referring to low-uptake subjects)

#53 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:25 PM

Yes I also agree with Allan but I can tell u how Leckie & Leckie are able to do it. By the copyright law leckie and leckie can only copy so much of a marking scheme hence why they are condensed! How leckie and leckie can obtain the rights to publish any of it in the first place- money, they pay the SQA a lot for partial rights to marking schemes and rights to publish papers.

Why then aren't we allowed this priveledge- According to the fair use clause of the copyright act HSN should be able to publish full papers and shouldn't have to pay (although not answers- but we could come up with these ourselves) however the SQA, in interests of profitability, chooses to block this and if no copyright consent is given for fair use purposes then we can't get them.

Leckie & Leckie ( a commercial company) cannot claim the fair use clause and therefore must pay SQA for using their papers. Leckie& Leckie makes a lot of money, therefore the SQA gets a lot of money and should provide a quality service.

At least that's how it works in theory. In practice its not a entirely a "win,win" situation as students end up not having the provision of service which is due to them.

Hope this helps answer ur question Allan-

From the future lawyer/accountant Lolly_M

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users